Link: Read Ole Miss’ Written Appeal in NCAA Infractions Case

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Ole Miss last week filed its written appeal in its NCAA football infractions case as the school tries to get penalties reduced handed down by the Committee on Infractions, including a multi-year bowl ban.

Ole Miss publicly released its appeal Wednesday. Read the full 43-page document below.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Something tells me there’s some Bible quotes in there along with this punishment being unjust and them having removed all the offending offenders. But I’m blind with hatred anyway so....

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I wasn't going to comment on this but then it hit me. Forty-three pages?! If I were the NCAA that would go in the round file cabinet sitting in the floor by my desk (just for the audacity) and I would hit the Appeal Denied button.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don’t give a damn. Ole Miss knew what they were doing and went all in, doubled down on a 3, and was an unrepentant serial killer all the way to the electric chair.

I can feel empathy on some occasions where the NZAA went overboard.

Not this time.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I don’t give a damn. Ole Miss knew what they were doing and went all in, doubled down on a 3, and was an unrepentant serial killer all the way to the electric chair.

Not this time.
Yes, and quite frankly the NCAA did not go far enough with it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Not this time.
And the worst part is the rumors are swirling that they're right back at it again...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
You'd have to pay me a large sum of money to go to Ole Miss, way out in the middle of nowhere where it's still racist and backwards as hell. Ditto for Auburn/Opelika/Lee County.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
43 pages? Nah. I'll await a summary.
III.

ISSUES RAISED ON APPEAL
1. Did the COI abuse its discretion by imposing a second postseason ban when that penalty is substantially based upon the erroneous application of an aggravating factor (i.e., a “culture of non-compliance” that had “continued for decades”) that is not supported by the evidence or precedent?

2. Did the COI abuse its discretion by imposing an unprecedented limitation of one unofficial visit per year over a three-year term for each prospective student-athlete recruited by the University, a sanction that exceeds by nearly six-fold the penalty guidelines set forth in Figure 19-1?

3. Was the COI’s LOIC finding clearly contrary to the evidence when it was not connected to any specific institutional failing that caused the violations at issue, there is no support in the record for the COI’s stated belief that the University had a “culture of non-compliance,” and the evidence supports the University’s position that it had appropriately promoted compliance and responded to violations when it learned of them?

4. Was the COI’s finding that a local store owner provided free merchandise to prospective student-athletes and their family members clearly contrary to the evidence where it was based upon the COI’s misinterpretation of the evidence, some of which came from clearly biased witnesses and was considered by the COI despite multiple procedural errors?

These are their points to appeal. The implication points us back to their talking points from 2014----prove it. There is nothing new they have decided to grace us with. Just an argumentative tone where they are ungrateful that the head coach was not hit with a show cause which allowed them to skate on scholarship limits. Because the coach wasn't given a show cause, they "feel" they have been hit with LOIC with no proof of institutional involvement. Hello----involvement includes looking the other way and protecting the participants.

Clearly, the NCAA substituted limits on unofficial visits for scholarship losses. I'm not sure I agree with the theory but I can live with it if it does more to curb their boosters being involved in the recruiting process. And it goes hand in hand with this commentary -----

“There are lots of shenanigans going on in the camp environment where a high school coach or a seven-on-seven coach shows up with a busload of kids and gets a big honorarium for bringing them to camp and they are all having so-called unofficial visits,” said Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, who who chairs the NCAA’s Division I football oversight committee. “We needed to clean up the camp environment, and this legislation does that.” Actually, it doesn’t do that. Schools now will pay non-coaches cash under the table for performing the same service. The high school coaches paid over the table were at least subject to the scrutiny of their own school districts and beholden to the desire to keep their own jobs. That encouraged them to behave more responsibly. Most of the people who will load the recruits into vans now have no incentive to behave responsibly.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/04/14/recruiting-rules-december-signing-period

The NCAA looks to have been covering their bases to prevent the lawsuit Ole Miss has continually threatened. by doing so they decreased the number of scholarships lost (a good look for Ole Miss) and decreased the number of potential visits to Rebel Rags and hunting trips. Now all they will do is not report them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.