Dangerous driver rant

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Home less than 10 minutes after a 15 mile drive from Hoover[AL] to McCalla. Overcast day and dusk to dark time of day. 5:30 - 6 pm.

I met four oncoming vehicles in this short drive on back roads with no lights.

Sorry for how this sounds, but if you are so mentally vacant not to be aware you are driving with no lights i don't particularly care if you mangle or kill yourself, but i DO care that you are endangering others.

Geeeeez . . .

Thanks for the vent session. :wink:

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hmmmmmm...........great post.

Methinks we could REALLY use a pet peeve thread!

Where to start....so many things.....and only so much bandwidth.....:biggrin2:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yeah, I was driving from Bham to ATL this past Sunday, in the rain, and there were a distressingly high number of people running without headlights.
That just amazes me. It's like that in Houston as well. I normally will try and flash my lights at them or turn mine off then back on several times trying to get their attention.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How about those that get on your bumper, brights glowing, and refuse to pass you even if you intentionally slow down, hoping they pass

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That just amazes me. It's like that in Houston as well. I normally will try and flash my lights at them or turn mine off then back on several times trying to get their attention.
In Ismaili, Egypt (on the canal), where I lived, it was against local custom to drive with your headlights on at night. Nobody did it. And if you did drive with your headlights on at night, locals would flash their headlights at you, as if to say, "Hey, idiot! You've got you headlights on!"

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
In Ismaili, Egypt (on the canal), where I lived, it was against local custom to drive with your headlights on at night. Nobody did it. And if you did drive with your headlights on at night, locals would flash their headlights at you, as if to say, "Hey, idiot! You've got you headlights on!"
So what was the accident rate at night there?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
So what was the accident rate at night there?
Mostly folks don't drive at night or if they do, they drive really slowly. They do use their parking lights.
No one could explain why to me. I think it was because from 1967 to the implementation of the Camp David Accords, the Israeli Army was right across the canal from Ismailia and they used to shoot at things they could see, so the Egyptians probably learned not to be seen.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
One of my cars has dash lights that light up even when the headlights are off. I think something like this will mess people up when they are driving in well lit areas or around dusk or dawn.

There are a lot of people who are accustomed to auto headlights and don't even know where the light switch is. They may have never thought of operating the lights manually and get in a car that does not have this feature at all or at least no activated.

I've seen cars zipping down well lit streets without their lights off and they are practically invisible.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A couple of times, I've driven out of a brightly lit parking lot, distracted by something, and driven a block or so before realizing, embarrassedly, that my lights weren't on. OTOH, when it's just past twilight, it's not unusual for me to meet cars coming down Bankhead Parkway, the twisty mountain road up to my house, without a sign of a headlight...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.