The Perpetual Gun Control Thread - Page 116
Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1666106109110111112113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 1,496 to 1,508 of 1528
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Quote Originally Posted by G-VilleTider View Post
    What drives me crazy is how the narrative is spun that there is this huge threat from mass shootings when they account for less than 0.5% of the victims that are killed annually by guns.

You are more than 100 times more likely to be killed by a handgun in an isolated incident.

You are more than 1000 times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident.

Overdoses account for more than 4 times the people killed per year than all the homicides of any type combined.

Over 50 million students enrolled k-12 per year in the US. If we count all the kids/teachers impacted by a mass shooting event @ + 1000 (even though less than 1% of those would be injured directly), then we get 0.00002% of kids will be impacted.

If you actually want to save lives, fix the horses first and then worry about the zebra.
    I don’t understand this argument either. Why is it wrong to address a problem just because another larger problem exists?

part of that is because there is zero interest in dealing with the problem. this conveniently changes the subject.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I donít understand this argument either. Why is it wrong to address a problem just because another larger problem exists?
    In football, would you spend 99% of each practice session going over only guarding against a fake field goal attempt (somewhat similar %s)? It's not wrong at all to address it, its just that this is a tiny mole hill. I said in my original post, "If you actually want to save lives," but perhaps I should have worded it "If you want to save the most lives".

Resources are finite so I find it absurd to spend an inordinate amount of them on such a fractional % of a "problem" when there are 1,000,000's of poor, homeless, addicted people in this country alone that could be greatly benefited by these resources.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

"Why would we waste time doing anything about mass shootings when [INSERT NON SEQUITUR]."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

In football, would you spend 99% of each practice session going over only guarding against a fake field goal attempt (somewhat similar %s)? It's not wrong at all to address it, its just that this is a tiny mole hill. I said in my original post, "If you actually want to save lives," but perhaps I should have worded it "If you want to save the most lives".

Resources are finite so I find it absurd to spend an inordinate amount of them on such a fractional % of a "problem" when there are 1,000,000's of poor, homeless, addicted people in this country alone that could be greatly benefited by these resources.
    No one is spending 99% of the time addressing mass shootings. I run a business. While problems have to be prioritized, all problems must be addressed.

This is is definitely not a mole hill. As of September 1, there has been more than one mass shooting per day in 2019.

Saying we’re going to ignore this issue because there are bigger fish to fry is the worst thing we could possibly do.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    You donít need to shoot 3 arrows per second. One or two people who know what their doing could easily kill a handful with them.
    And who has to know what they're doing to kill even more with a gun? No one past simply knowing how to reload and pull the trigger and point it at someone. The skill required to even do 1/10 of the damage a firearm would do with very little skill would narrow the list of people who would be considered a serious threat with a bow and arrow to a relatively few people in the entire world.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Why do you care, youíre just anti-gun.
    And now you're just talking out of your backside.

What drives me crazy is how the narrative is spun that there is this huge threat from mass shootings when they account for less than 0.5% of the victims that are killed annually by guns.

You are more than 100 times more likely to be killed by a handgun in an isolated incident.

You are more than 1000 times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident.

Overdoses account for more than 4 times the people killed per year than all the homicides of any type combined.

Over 50 million students enrolled k-12 per year in the US. If we count all the kids/teachers impacted by a mass shooting event @ + 1000 (even though less than 1% of those would be injured directly), then we get 0.00002% of kids will be impacted.

If you actually want to save lives, fix the horses first and then worry about the zebra.
    I love you, brother, but the difference is the randomness of being in a movie theater or wally world or in the street or school or wherever and someone just begins shooting. I can choose to drive carefully or not use drugs. No, I can't account for all variables or other people. I can't stop someone with a personal grudge from deciding to act.

But someone just walks in a random area and starts shooting? If I'm in the wrong place I'm gone. Statistically, the fear is not 100% rational compared to the chances of it happening, but we are not statistics - we are humans. And all it takes to be dead is to be that person in the wrong place when someone gets a wild hair to begin shooting.

I'm reminded of the statisticians who went hunting: one shot to the right of the deer, the next to the left, the third exclaims "On average we got it!". Except this time it's "on average we aren't in danger!" Doesn't matter if you're the unlucky dead kid at school or mother and father at walmart who likely never thought that would be your last day on Earth.

This is a problem which should no longer be ignored. How we deal with it is a good question. I do think it's time for serious discussions that aren't simply "take the guns" or "from my cold dead hand". Can't we, as rational human beings, move beyond those polar extremes to find some things that will help?
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

1. We can all walk and chew gum at the same time. Addressing one issue does not mean ignoring another.

2. If we really care about violence then why not address it on multiple levels?

3. It would not cost extraordinary levels of money to prevent some of these events and also reduce "normal" violence. End the war on drugs, develop robust red flag laws that preserve due process, possibly remove some types of weapons to the realm of heavily regulated and licensed like already has happened with automatic weapons, and so forth would together be revenue neutral at worst and the lives saved would each be priceless.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American formersoldier71's Avatar

Hell, yes, we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47, and we're not going to allow it to be used against your fellow Americans anymore.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...uk0?li=BBnbcA1

If I'm not mistaken, all of the Democratic candidates are for an assault weapon ban. This is just a logical extension.
    Victory... does not depend entirely upon numbers or mere courage; only skill and discipline will insure it. - Vegetius

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by formersoldier71 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, all of the Democratic candidates are for an assault weapon ban. This is just a logical extension.
    Well that's just obviously untrue.

When we banned fully automatic rifles, did we go door-to-door and confiscate them?

Quote Originally Posted by formersoldier71 View Post

It is not a logical extension.

Beto has said he is for a mandatory buy back but that does NOT include going door to door.
    This whole thing though obscures the real problem of the daily carnage caused mostly by hand guns on our streets.
    Last edited by Bamaro; September 15th, 2019 at 09:22 AM.
    11011001 11010110 11010011 11010011 01000000 11100011 11001001 11000100 11000101

BamaNation All-American formersoldier71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Well that's just obviously untrue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    It is not a logical extension.
    What is the goal of an assault weapons ban? What do supporters of such a ban hope to accomplish? To stop the massacre of innocent people, right?

What will a ban do? It depends on the version passed, of course, but at a minimum it would ban the future sale and possession of whatever weapons are designated. It will probably grandfather possession of current legally owned weapons. It may provide for legal methods of transferring ownership of existing weapons. It may require registration of existing weapons. It may do other things. What it won't do, probably, is make the millions of existing weapons disappear.

So, it won't stop someone from using their grandfathered weapon from killing people. Or, taking a family member's weapon. Or taking someone else's. Or buying one, even if the only market left is the black market. And, after a ban, people will still be killed with assault weapons. Maybe the frequency of mass shootings goes down. But, even if it does, it won't stop, and it will make the news, and it will provoke calls for further common-sense action.

So what further action is taken after a ban doesn't stop deaths from assault weapons? Voluntary buybacks? Mandatory buybacks? Something else? Is confiscation of assault weapons really not a logical extension? It is if you want to stop mass shootings with assault weapons. Or, is the goal just to get to an acceptable level of mass shootings? Or, is there another goal?
    Victory... does not depend entirely upon numbers or mere courage; only skill and discipline will insure it. - Vegetius

Ban the sale and institute a mandatory buyback. That does NOT entail going door to door.
    11011001 11010110 11010011 11010011 01000000 11100011 11001001 11000100 11000101

So if they don't go door to door and someone reports me because I own a AR-15 will they come to my home and demand that I turn it in for payment? Everyone has an opinion on this and yes something has to be done to stop mass shootings. For me mandatory buy back equals confiscation. I fear, as many do, that once we start this it will not stop. This is a huge slippery slope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Ban the sale and institute a mandatory buyback. That does NOT entail going door to door.