The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
And that list didn’t even include Wednesday’s or the recent shooting in Texas...

ARs are not the only issue, but they are the constant in almost all of these situations, and the damage caused in these scenarios could have been reduced if they were more heavily regulated.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
You started a thread to discuss potentially limiting freedoms we currently enjoy - you shouldn't be surprised if some of us aren't chomping at the bit to relinquish those liberties because they *might* help. The onus is on you to give us examples of limiting our freedoms for the good of the whole. So far, based on ~300 deaths per year, you're wanting to limit mall sots of things. I'm willing to listen, but you better bring facts, not just 'I think'.
But handguns have been used in more mass shootings than AR pattern rifles...
Not sure what the count requirement is for a mass shooting, but when it comes to victim counts of 10+, I highly doubt that is the case.

And the large-scale senseless shootings are the cases that drive these conversations.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Las Vegas. Dallas. Orlando. Sandy Hook. Aurora. San Bernardino.

All, as far as I know, acted out with legally purchased ARs. Increasing the regulations required to purchase military-grade weapons would have at the very least reduced the amount of people killed in these situations. That’s as close as you get to facts in a hypothetical situation like this.

Combine that with the fact that mass shootings like these were significantly lessened when ARs were banned, and that’s enough evidence to at the very least continue the conversation.

I think it’s fair to ask that AR-advocates provide similar evidence that civilian-purchased ARs have have decreased damage or improved safety in comparison to the contrary.
I think it's fair to ask why I should accept that my constitutional rights should be subordinate to arbitrary statistics of safety.

I don't need permission from the AMA or the commissioner of public safety to speak in the town square, to worship, or to arm myself.

Implicit is the assumption that if something is more dangerous than the alternative, then the more dangerous thing should be prohibited or more heavily regulated, and that assumption I reject outright.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think it's fair to ask why I should accept that my constitutional rights should be subordinate to arbitrary statistics of safety.

I don't need permission from the AMA or the commissioner of public safety to speak in the town square, to worship, or to arm myself.

Implicit is the assumption that if something is more dangerous than the alternative, then the more dangerous thing should be prohibited or more heavily regulated, and that assumption I reject outright.
While I respect your conviction, there are some serious holes in your logic imo.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
You started a thread to discuss potentially limiting freedoms we currently enjoy - you shouldn't be surprised if some of us aren't chomping at the bit to relinquish those liberties because they *might* help. The onus is on you to give us examples of limiting our freedoms for the good of the whole. So far, based on ~300 deaths per year, you're wanting to limit mall sots of things. I'm willing to listen, but you better bring facts, not just 'I think'.
Honestly, CA, I don't see the point. If you require detailed U.S. gun data before advocating any change to U.S. gun policy, then you'll be forever trapped here -- the NRA and GOP have forbidden the collection of that data for precisely this reason. I've posted a number of articles quoting experts and their recommendations, and I've distilled four basic proposals based on those recommendations. You completely ignored that, so I don't know whether you agree or disagree with any of the proposed changes. This is not the mark of a productive conversation, so what's the point?

Look, there are always going to be areas where we simply disagree and gulfs that cannot be bridged. These threads (and I'm guilty of this too) tend to focus on our disagreements rather than any areas on which we might agree. This won't be a productive thread until that changes.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
While I respect your conviction, there are some serious holes in your logic imo.
I'm willing to explore those holes and clarify my position if you want to be more specific.

The main point is that I reject safety as an overriding concern when it comes to liberty.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm willing to explore those holes and clarify my position if you want to be more specific.

The main point is that I reject safety as an overriding concern when it comes to liberty.
And I can appreciate that, but I disagree that the safety of others always takes a backseat to personal liberty. We give up personal rights everyday to improve the safety of others. I don't think the 2A should be immune from that concept. Especially when all that most people want to do is limit the ability of the mentally ill / dangerous individuals from purchasing weapons capable of causing mass casualties through stricter background checks and waiting periods.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not sure what the count requirement is for a mass shooting, but when it comes to victim counts of 10+, I highly doubt that is the case.

And the large-scale senseless shootings are the cases that drive these conversations.
Six of the top 14 mass killings of 10 or more in the US were committed exclusively with handguns, and three more were a combination of handguns and long guns.

Whether you count 42.8% or 64.2%, that's a significant number.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Honestly, CA, I don't see the point. If you require detailed U.S. gun data before advocating any change to U.S. gun policy, then you'll be forever trapped here -- the NRA and GOP have forbidden the collection of that data for precisely this reason. I've posted a number of articles quoting experts and their recommendations, and I've distilled four basic proposals based on those recommendations. You completely ignored that, so I don't know whether you agree or disagree with any of the proposed changes. This is not the mark of a productive conversation, so what's the point?
I just require some actual proof that doing something wide-spread like banning AR15s or high capacity magazines will actually impact these shootings. YOu've posted some good ideas, some of which I don't mind seeing happen, but my point is that you have to realize that this thread is titled 'gun control' - it's not titled 'our gun violence problem' or 'societal issues that make the US prone to violence'. Your default position is gun control, so the onus is on you to show us how it will work.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
And that list didn’t even include Wednesday’s or the recent shooting in Texas...

ARs are not the only issue, but they are the constant in almost all of these situations, and the damage caused in these scenarios could have been reduced if they were more heavily regulated.
ARs are not the prime constant in all of this. People are.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
ANY infringement on rights will need to be imposed by due process. An arbitrary list of any variety will not do. No-fly list? No way. A single psychiatrist says you're too crazy to own a gun? Nope. Perhaps temporarily (48 hours emergency) followed by hearing(s). And not just because you meet the definition of a mental illness. There must be a credible threat. Or your immediate ability to reason must be impaired substantially (as in psychosis). And there must be a meaningful way to remove the restriction once you have recovered (yes, a number of things can cause a temporary psychosis, including alcohol/substance withdrawal and even "mundane" things like corticosteroids). You can't just say someone has depression or anxiety and in a blanket fashion dispose of their rights.

Violent felons - sure, take away the right. No problem with that, so long as a conviction is won. IOW, a simple accusation doesn't cut it (though I would be good with temporary pending trial if charges are filed and even temporary and limited time frame on domestic violence until a hearing is held on the right to bear arms question).

I would also be open to limits on magazine sizes and banning devices that allow simulated auto fire (bump stocks).

On the other side of this, we make it easier for law abiding citizens to carry in most public places and to travel with their personal weapon. Would anyone advocating control measures be open to anything like that?

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I like it, in principle. In general, to obtain an TRO, you have to show irreparable harm to yourself. this expands that to third parties or the public at large. One main problem is that the order alone is a piece of paper. One graveyard joke which used to circulate among the legal profession was that, with an angry cop as an ex and a TRO, you were holding a death warrant. Altogether too often, that was true. There would have to be immediate action or the order might just be the trigger to hasten the event...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
To expound a little more:

It's not just school or mass shootings where this could be effective. Even out here near the left coast this kind of tool has been missing. Just a couple of years ago a LEO was shot and killed near here. There were warning signs. People who knew the shooter tried in vain to get him help. Police said their hands were tied. They had to wait until he committed a crime to do anything. At the time there was nothing in place like in the article CA proposed. There are numerous other examples that ended with the deaths of innocent LEO's, family, friends, bystanders, etc;...

In the case of this most recent school shooting, what if some of those school staff or students could have petitioned the court to strip the shooter of his right to bear arms based on his threats and mental state? We would not be lamenting the deaths of these good people. We would not be arguing for days about why no one prevented it because in all likelihood there would not be much to talk about.

I hope this idea takes off and is implemented everywhere. I'm tired of feeling like I have to keep my eyes peeled whenever I am in a large public venue. And should I ever see the need to use this tool I'd like it available so that instead of having to say "I tried" I can say "I'm glad we got that done. I was afraid so and so would kill someone".

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I like it, in principle. In general, to obtain an TRO, you have to show irreparable harm to yourself. this expands that to third parties or the public at large. One main problem is that the order alone is a piece of paper. One graveyard joke which used to circulate among the legal profession was that, with an angry cop as an ex and a TRO, you were holding a death warrant. Altogether too often, that was true. There would have to be immediate action or the order might just be the trigger to hasten the event...
Certainly, a RO is just a piece of paper. Without further action, you are correct. The guns have to be taken immediately and only returned if the order is reversed by whatever means. Of course, that does nothing to prevent an illegal purchase of theft but it does erect a barrier.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
This article is common sense, and by common, I also mean ancient. The ancients argued you didn't have to return a borrowed sword to an owner if you knew he was going to use it for harm.

The article contrasts two positions: rights and privileges. These were never meant to be separated. It is a big problem for us today that we do separate these.
Argued as well as those who claim the Constitution is old and therefore irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.