The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Wrong, something was done in 1994 and it had little to no effect. Chicago, LA, NYC, and Baltimore have done plenty and have very high murder rates.
Are local gun laws ineffective because of their very nature, or because they can be circumvented with a short drive?

And let's be clear--before the usual unfocused accusations start flying--I am not advocating a gun ban. I just want an honest discussion.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Again, please detail precisely what you want to see done.

Just repeating 'we should do something' won't affect a thing.

I've already said most of what I want done.

A national one strike system for gun ownership. (the main one.)
Background checks for all gun owners. Put proof it on your DL, hunting license, carry permit, whatever.
Stiff sentences if you get caught with a gun without background check or on the one strike list.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Whatever. You think cities with gun laws are a valid excuse for not having national laws? That's nonsense.
If these laws are so valid and legit working, then why do thousands of people in those cities die every year from weapons that are prohibited in those cities?? State’s rights. It’s nonsense that laws in a dozen major US cities should apply to all 50 states.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've already said most of what I want done.

A national one strike system for gun ownership. (the main one.)
Background checks for all gun owners. Put proof it on your DL, hunting license, carry permit, whatever.
Stiff sentences if you get caught with a gun without background check or on the one strike list.
I'm fine with all of those.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Are local gun laws ineffective because of their very nature, or because they can be circumvented with a short drive?

And let's be clear--before the usual unfocused accusations start flying--I am not advocating a gun ban. I just want an honest discussion.
Well I work in a maximum security prison and I can tell you that many of those inmates that I’ve talked to can get these weapons just as quick and easy on the black market as I can buy toilet paper at Wal-Mart.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
If these laws are so valid and legit working, then why do thousands of people in those cities die every year from weapons that are prohibited in those cities?? State’s rights. It’s nonsense that laws in a dozen major US cities should apply to all 50 states.
Sigh. Go back and read my statement and jthomas's statement.

There will be no such thing as a local "legit working" gun law. People can just drive across state lines and buy a gun and go back. National laws will be the only answer.

Your argument using city laws failing as "facts" doesn't really have a leg to stand on

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yet we cannot begin to discuss how we limit the availability of WMD to individuals who clearly are not equipped to responsibly own guns. That would be a clear logical step to begin to curtail the mass shootings that are becoming an everyday fact of life.
Sure we can, I think most people would love to see something done in this arena, but it's tough - I think only one of the mass shooters in recent history had a history of mental illness and he killed his mom and stole her rifle. IOW, I'm not against this, but there are likely to be many who slip through the cracks.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There will be no such thing as a local "legit working" gun law. People can just drive across state lines and buy a gun and go back. National laws will be the only answer.
Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly but it seems that he's suggesting that even if we crack down on sales the black market won't be impacted - those willing to buy them illegally will continue to do so.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm fine with all of those.

I think those are reasonable. I agree with you that banning certain types of guns will have little or no effect. The more I think of it, the more #2 and #3 address some of the private sales issue. Although the seller needs to have some responsibility to check the age and proof of background checks if we do move to universal background checks.

What are your thoughts about raising the gun purchase age? I'd like to see the sale of handguns and semi-automatic be the same age (21) from both licensed and private sellers. You can exempt "hunting" guns(Bolt action,break action, black powder,etc.) Too far for you?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Sigh. Go back and read my statement and jthomas's statement.

Your argument using city laws failing as "facts" doesn't really have a leg to stand on
And it will have the same effect as prohibition did. This is just a huge black market waiting to be opened. Also city laws failing does have a leg to stand on because they are in fact failing. People will still get weapons that have been made illegal no matter what laws exist. National laws are nothing but a false sense of security and hope.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I see we've gone full bore into the angry impasse the other guy just won't see the "facts" the way I see them phase...

In other words, when you start insulting others and saying their concerns are illegitimate excuses you do more to shut down conversation.

If we are going to make even the smallest changes then it is not going to be easy. It will be hard work. Yet some of you just want "the other side" to shut up and sit down. I've even seen you say that asking for detailed plans and logical rationale that the idea will actually work is actually a surreptitious way to close off debate.

It has become ridiculous, but it's not surprising. This is how it ends every time. And you can point fingers at the strictly Pro 2A side and even those of us open to better enforcement of current law and some limited new law(s) if they will make our world safer. But when you stifle debate by being obstinate, insults, and laziness then maybe a look in the mirror is in order.

The above is not intended for any one person(s) but I have seen it crop up here and it's all over social and other media. Everyone goes back to their safe spaces of cliches and nothing gets done. We quit treating each other like people instead of the opposition and nothing gets done. We insult each other and nothing changes.

And mind you, NO ONE can know for sure what will work short of total confiscation and destruction of every gun in the world.

/rant

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly but it seems that he's suggesting that even if we crack down on sales the black market won't be impacted - those willing to buy them illegally will continue to do so.

I think to some extent the black market will always exist. It is unreasonable to think otherwise. Just as it is unreasonable to say all these shootings would still occur if the shooter had to acquire the gun through the black market.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The best way to solve the issue is make bullets $25,000 each. That way when someone gets shot you know they deserved it.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well as much as we have talked about what needs/should be done, I wanna know how a gun ban, buyback, or confiscation would be enforced in a nation would tens of millions of gun owners and combined with hundreds of millions of guns.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Well as much as we have talked about what needs/should be done, I wanna know how a gun ban, buyback, or confiscation would be enforced in a nation would tens of millions of gun owners and combined with hundreds of millions of guns.
More excuses to not do anything

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Countries like Sweden and Switzerland can have high gun ownership with lower crimes rates. If this country can just ignore the NRA/2A purist crowd for a minute, I'm sure we can find a reasonable solution somewhere in the middle of where we are now and zero guns too.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think those are reasonable. I agree with you that banning certain types of guns will have little or no effect. The more I think of it, the more #2 and #3 address some of the private sales issue. Although the seller needs to have some responsibility to check the age and proof of background checks if we do move to universal background checks.
A friend of mine came up with the idea for the FBI to develop a general NICS system where private sellers could anonymously check a potential buyer online (ideally for free) without having to specify the forearm being sold. Doesn't completely do away with unchecked private sales, but would make it easier and less expensive to transfer ownership without essentially creating a registry.

What are your thoughts about raising the gun purchase age? I'd like to see the sale of handguns and semi-automatic be the same age (21) from both licensed and private sellers. You can exempt "hunting" guns(Bolt action,break action, black powder,etc.) Too far for you?
I have zero problem with raising the age of purchase on any semi auto to 21. Science has shown us that males aren't fully developed until around age 25. I'd be okay with ownership at a younger age, perhaps (much like it is now - a father can give his 18 year old son a pistol if he wishes). I honestly don't know if that would pass muster in a constitutional challenge, but I think the idea is good. We've already, as a society, agreed that you should be 21 to legally purchase and costume alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.