The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
How does anyone even own a gun? I thought Obama was going to take them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I would still say that being in the English Bill of Rights doesn't necessarily qualify as widely. How about this? Would it be fair to say that it was a right with relatively recent (within 100 years) belief adoption at the time of the framing of the US Bill of Rights?
I think it probably was a relatively recent thing (the right to bear arms), though most 'right' were relatively new at that point in time - for a vast majority of world history the king ruled with an iron fist.

Here is a question for you. Given the current state of gun ownership in England, does that mean it is no longer a right, or is it a right that the people didn't stand up for and eventually conceded to the government?
They conceded, no question. They've done it within our lifetimes, in fact.

I could dive into the differences (very generally speaking) in the mindset / worldview of the US citizen vs a citizen from a Euro country, but I'm not sure it's entirely topical here. TL;DR version is this - imo, most europeans have been raised one or two generations removed from having a king and it shows in their general attitude regarding individual rights. The English have relinquished many rights - I say it's no coincidence that both Orwell and Huxley were Brits...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I did not know that. I will have to look into it.

I would still say that being in the English Bill of Rights doesn't necessarily qualify as widely. How about this? Would it be fair to say that it was a right with relatively recent (within 100 years) belief adoption at the time of the framing of the US Bill of Rights? I will concede that for the majority of people framing the argument in the colonies, they would have known of and accepted the English BoR of 1689, so you could likely say it was a fairly wide belief within the colonies.

Here is a question for you. Given the current state of gun ownership in England, does that mean it is no longer a right, or is it a right that the people didn't stand up for and eventually conceded to the government?
I know this was directed elsewhere but I wanted to take a stab at it. Firstly, I think you are being too narrow in confining “Arms” and the wording in the 2A and the English Bill of Rights as specifically referring to firearms. “Arms” can refer to any weapons, whether pistols, knives, or swords. Firearms are the focus these days as they are the most commonly used and available weapons, but the inalienable right refers to the right to defend oneself, especially with a weapon. So it is not something that just suddenly materialized 500yrs ago with the invention of the firearm but has evolved to include firearms as they became the dominant weapon of choice.

Secondly, yes the British failed to defend their right of ownership and it is now suppressed. Firearms ownership was a very British thing until relatively recently. Take Sherlock Holmes for example. He and Dr. Watson routinely walk around armed with pistols like it is no big deal. Any gentlemen could do the same, and there was a booming arms industry in the UK, especially with self defense weapons. It is only recently that firearms have been twisted to be this scary thing that only creepy people want to own.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know this was directed elsewhere but I wanted to take a stab at it. Firstly, I think you are being too narrow in confining “Arms” and the wording in the 2A and the English Bill of Rights as specifically referring to firearms. “Arms” can refer to any weapons, whether pistols, knives, or swords. Firearms are the focus these days as they are the most commonly used and available weapons, but the inalienable right refers to the right to defend oneself, especially with a weapon. So it is not something that just suddenly materialized 500yrs ago with the invention of the firearm but has evolved to include firearms as they became the dominant weapon of choice.

Secondly, yes the British failed to defend their right of ownership and it is now suppressed. Firearms ownership was a very British thing until relatively recently. Take Sherlock Holmes for example. He and Dr. Watson routinely walk around armed with pistols like it is no big deal. Any gentlemen could do the same, and there was a booming arms industry in the UK, especially with self defense weapons. It is only recently that firearms have been twisted to be this scary thing that only creepy people want to own.
James Bond became a terrible novel when Daniel Craig carried nothing but a billy club around to beat bad guys with - like a sort of English Buford Pusser.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
James Bond became a terrible novel when Daniel Craig carried nothing but a billy club around to beat bad guys with - like a sort of English Buford Pusser.

Yeah I get you are poking fun at my use of a fictional character as an example. The point was that the characters, as private citizens, owning and using pistols was not a shocking or abnormal part of the stories as many British men owned and carried weapons for personal defense at the time. This was true up until the 60s I believe. I can’t really pull up examples of historical individuals but I can produce things like ads:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Anyone who said or believes that is utterly clueless.
About as clueless as those who think AR-15 stands for "assault rifle."
False equivalence. It's clueless to have believed that Obama even wanted to take everyone's guns. Not knowing that AR stands for ArmaLite is hardly the same thing--it's like not knowing that Knicks is short for Knickerbockers.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
President Donald Trump signed a memorandum in February directing the department to make the regulatory change, which must now be approved by the Office of Management and Budget before it is published and subject to a commentary period.

The move does not require congressional approval, allowing the administration to side-step what could have been insurmountable pressure from pro-gun groups such as the National Rifle Association that have worked to erode changes in firearm laws in the wake of mass shootings in Florida and Nevada.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-regulation-to-ban-bump-stocks-idUSKCN1GM0JN

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I became enamored of the Walther PPK, after the early books. Problem is, all they were good for - and ill-formed, at that - was as a club. After trying three, I went back to revolvers...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not that I oppose the move, but I do find it odd that this presidential proclamation requires OMB's approve but not Congress'.

I forget what Montesquieu wrote about the OMB.
Perhaps he just selected an agency randomly? My stock came with a letter from ATF explaining in detail why it did not convert a semi-auto to a machine gun...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
All stories from the last 24 hours.

Teacher accidentally discharges firearm in Calif. classroom. He was trained in gun use.
A teacher who is also a reserve police officer trained in firearm use accidentally discharged a gun Tuesday at Seaside High School in Monterey County, Calif., during a class devoted to public safety. A male student was reported to have sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

School resource officer accidentally fired gun at Virginia middle school
Police are investigating after a school resource officer accidentally fired his gun at a Northern Virginia middle school on Tuesday morning. Alexandria Police say the officer was in his office at George Washington Middle School when the gun discharged.

"I have some serious concerns and some serious questions that I'd like answered," said parent Andi Snow. "Here we have a highly trained five year veteran of the police force and somehow, we don't know how his service weapon was discharged?"

Sheriff apologizes for accidentally leaving gun at school
A county sheriff apologized Tuesday for accidentally leaving his backup gun in a Michigan school gym locker room... A student later found the gun and told an adult.

Yep, the solution to gun violence in schools is definitely more guns in schools.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I just disagree with the assertion that the 2A advocate is truly worried about needing to rise up against the state. Especially since the average 2A advocate at this juncture is on the right side of the line with the government regardless of party despite what some may think.

The 2A advocate is not worried about needing to repel the state, they are actually worried about the failure of the state. The right's dangling of strong gun rights is a way to make their constituents feel safe as the right wing continually ratchets up socioeconomic inequity and racial strife. The NRA fanboy these days is not worried about needing to pick a fight with Uncle Sam, they're worried about the next Rodney King riot or the precarious system of economic plenty we use to placate the masses in the face of clear climate change that threatens it all. Whether they admit it or not; whether they realize that is what they really fear in these specific terms...this is the fear of the home defense, defense everywhere firearm crowd. They realize that failure of the state/economy to maintain peace could be on the horizon.
Yes this. I very rarely think about the day our government (unless the democrats are in power) goes all tyrannical. I think about full scale riots (ie. LA in 1992), the general breakdown of order, or left wing extremists groups like Antifa, Black Lives Matter, or radical Islam looking to stir things up. Having a firearm in your house and car can and will save your life from these home gown terrorist.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I keep seeing posts on Facebook saying kids should walk up to the kid sitting alone at lunch and be friends with him.

I want everyone who had posted that to give a specific example of when they did that in school.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I keep seeing posts on Facebook saying kids should walk up to the kid sitting alone at lunch and be friends with him.

I want everyone who had posted that to give a specific example of when they did that in school.

Yeah usually that kid is alone because he is a bit “off”, has poor social skills, and doesn’t get along with anyone. 17yr olds aren’t counselors for their peers. I can’t blame them for staying away from the kid who is super difficult to get along by with.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I think it has more to do with doing an act of kindness that could change the direction of someone's life rather than doing what people normally do. I've got a middle school girl and I can tell you from real life experience of what she (and my wife and I) is going through. Kids can be absolutely cruel, degrading and I'm tempted to say evil. People in general (especially kids) want to be accepted. Be it right or wrong, kids put a lot of their self worth into what their peers think about them and whether or not they are accepted. Regardless of how many times parents tell them "Those people do not determine your value." It doesn't mean they are weak minded, it just means they are kids.

You never know what that kid sitting by his/herself is going through outside of school, on top of being shunned and made fun of at school. Many of these kids are dealing with adult situations that many adults have taken their life over. I see nothing wrong with encouraging our kids to befriend and extend kindness to someone who otherwise may not get it. It could change the direction of their life, or better yet, save it.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Yes this. I very rarely think about the day our government (unless the democrats are in power) goes all tyrannical. I think about full scale riots (ie. LA in 1992), the general breakdown of order, or left wing extremists groups like Antifa, Black Lives Matter, or radical Islam looking to stir things up. Having a firearm in your house and car can and will save your life from these home gown terrorist.
Idk, I am a proponent of the second amendment, but I have never purchased nor used nor intended to use a weapon for anything other than hunting deer, turkey, and waterfowl, or plinking creative targets or clays on the farm. I can’t say I have ever been somewhere where i thought to myself, man, I really wish I had a firearm on me right now”. Obviously home invasions happen. But I can’t say I’ve ever feared or anticipate violent riots down my street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.