The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The difference must be all the video games, rock music, and bullying that only happen in America. Anything but laissez-faire gun regulation, amirite?

The US has had 57 times as many school shootings as the other major industrialized nations combined

As "pro-gun" as I am, it is an idiotic tactic for the Right to try and deflect blame onto those things you mention. I think a large part of it is home-life and culture, but also easy access to weaponry. I'm a Conservative standing out in the open and admitting that gun violence is at least partially due to an overabundance of access. But I also don't think anything short of a ban and confiscation will significantly or convincingly drop the number of shootings, which is problematic for me and many other 2A believers. But we've been around this block before. I don't really have a solution.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
So far the only thing school shootings have done is made me buy more guns. Weird, right? I certainly don't feel like either party really cares, and this is the flavor of the month. Despite how horrible the event is, I feel like that's the truth behind it.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
So far the only thing school shootings have done is made me buy more guns. Weird, right? I certainly don't feel like either party really cares, and this is the flavor of the month. Despite how horrible the event is, I feel like that's the truth behind it.
I believe it is true, but it doesn't detract from the severity of the problem and the need to solve it. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

However difficult or despairing the outlook, it's worth the sweat to try and find a way to keep kids safe and preserve the spirit of 2A which is to convincingly dissuade the Federal Government from ever using force against it's civilians.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I believe it is true, but it doesn't detract from the severity of the problem and the need to solve it. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

However difficult or despairing the outlook, it's worth the sweat to try and find a way to keep kids safe and preserve the spirit of 2A which is to convincingly dissuade the Federal Government from ever using force against it's civilians.
I agree. Just because I like me some shooting doesn't mean I like me some school shootings. But like so many have said, I don't know what the answer is.

I will say, I'm absolutely sick of lobbyist (all of them, all sides of all aisles) and their influence on our govt.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
I would agree that who the gun owner allows to have access to their guns is a potential/known problem. Not sure what you can do without interfering with individual's rights of privacy. I know I don't want a gvt inspector coming in my house nosing around. I guess if you want to consider additional laws maybe hold adults responsible if they give access to their guns to someone else and they are used in a crime.
I know I have a safe and I am the only one in my house that has access .......period, but it's obvious that others don't think as safely as others in regards to weapons.
This kind of thing is not gonna be stopped by more laws regardless of what the laws are. In general, in my honest opinion with no actual data at this time to back it up because I'm too lazy to look it up right now, to me it still boils down to people. People are the common denominator in all of this and if someone wants to do harm they will. Plus, with all the attention these people get from committing these acts it adds to the allure. I think that people who do these things have a kind of mental disorder ( I know, Thanks Cptn Obvious....lol). How do we recognize this? Not sure that we can. However, it seems that in each of these mass shooting cases there were plenty of warning signs that went ignored.
The one thing that I can certainly potentially agree to as far as additional laws and such is to possibly restrict/bar access to guns for people with true mental illnesses that are well documented. For me there would have to be very strict parameters for this action to be taken. What those parameters might be I would really have to think about.
As a person, my heart goes out to these families/communities because these are terrible things to happen. Of that there should be no doubt in anyone's mind/heart/soul.
I do think that those on the more gun control/confiscate all guns side of the issue do need to realize that as tragic as these things are you will never be able to wipe it out by simply making more laws.
Those on the 2a side (including myself) need to be more receptive to at least doing something to slow this down/take preventive measures in regards to mass shootings, particularly at schools. I don't have all the answers but surely there are ideas that together both sides can agree on. But, as long as we on this board can't even discuss it without the anger and bantering back and forth this issue will never be even close to being remedied or truly addressed.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Ok, make laws where people who are in the responsibility chain actually bear some reponsibility and I imagine you would have a much different landscape.As it is now people whose approve concealed carry are nothing more than a rubber stamp.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ok, make laws where people who are in the responsibility chain actually bear some reponsibility and I imagine you would have a much different landscape.As it is now people whose approve concealed carry are nothing more than a rubber stamp.
Thirty-three states are "shall issue" states, meaning that the offices issuing the permits cannot deny one unless that have strong evidence that the person shouldn't have one. Eight more require no permit. That's forty-one out of fifty. Sort of hard to blame the responsible authorities...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
More than 450 Floridians ordered to surrender guns under 'red flag' law

More than 450 people in Florida have been ordered to surrender their guns since March under a law passed after the Parkland school shooting, according to a local ABC affiliate.

The Risk Protection Act, a "red flag" law that Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) signed shortly after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School mass shooting in February, allows the state to take away guns from their owners if a judge finds they are a threat to themselves or others.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Is the gun owner notified of the court proceeding and is the gun owner allowed to present a counter argument or is the owner only notified when authorities come to confiscate the guns? If the gun owner has his guns forcibly taken without having a day in court first, I imagine a lawsuit isn't far behind. I imagine the state would argue its a public safety issue similar to holding people in jail pretrial (a horrible system in the way poor people stay in jail at high expense, to us taxpayers, while the more affluent pay a fee "bail" to go home).

I don't want unstable or violent people to have guns, but IMHO, the state shouldn't be able to take away ANY of a citizen's rights without first having gone before a judge AND the citizen also having the opportunity to both be at the preceeding and present a counter argument should he wish.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Text of the Florida Risk Protection Act.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...act&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.401.html

[FONT=&quot](3) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]RISK PROTECTION ORDER HEARINGS AND ISSUANCE.—[/FONT][FONT=&quot](a) Upon receipt of a petition, the court must order a hearing to be held no later than 14 days after the date of the order and must issue a notice of hearing to the respondent for the same.1. The clerk of the court shall cause a copy of the notice of hearing and petition to be forwarded on or before the next business day to the appropriate law enforcement agency for service upon the respondent as provided in subsection (5).
2. The court may, as provided in subsection (4), issue a temporary ex parte risk protection order pending the hearing ordered under this subsection. Such temporary ex parte order must be served concurrently with the notice of hearing and petition as provided in subsection (5).

Looks like law enforcement can take the guns away temporarily if a judge agrees and then a hearing must be held within 14 days
with the respondent notified of the hearing.

[/FONT]

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This guy is kind of a dweeb --- but whatever........

Story here:

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration supports an existing law they say makes it illegal to own or make homemade plastic guns, a White House official said Tuesday, coming hours after President Donald Trump tweeted that the availability of the firearms "doesn't seem to make much sense!"

"The President is committed to the safety and security of all American; he considers this his highest responsibility," deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley said to reporters aboard Air Force One. "In the United States, it's currently illegal to own or make a wholly plastic gun of any kind, including those made on a 3D printer.
Gidley continued, "The administration supports the nearly three-decade-old law and will continue to look at all options available to us to do what is necessary to protect Americans while also supporting the First and Second Amendments."

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
People who would fire a 3D printed gun are people who want to win a Darwin award.

Receivers like those in the Defense Distributed case are freely available right now on the open market—and unregulated—because they are “80 percent parts.” That is to say they are about 80 percent of a working firearm, requiring a person to have only a drill press or hand tools, and the requisite DIY skills, to finish the remaining 20 percent.Building a gun this way from parts already on the market is much easier and cheaper than the new and controversial 3D printing method. I once did it in my own kitchen, and the result is a much more reliable, durable firearm than you'd get from 3D-printed parts. Frankly, 3D printing gun parts is the most complicated way for a criminal to get his hands on a firearm, after stealing a gun from a legal gun owner, buying a gun on the black market, and finishing an 80 percent receiver.
LINK
In fact, a 3D-printed plastic firearm may prove a greater danger to the person holding it than anyone standing in front of it, said Terry Wohlers, president of Wohlers Associates, an additive manufacturing consultancy.

In 2013, police in New South Wales, Australia, manufactured copies of Wilson’s original 3D gun, known as the Liberator, using a $1,700 desktop printer. They then placed it in a vise and fired it multiple times, using a wire to pull the trigger. Each time, the gun blew up as the bullet left the chamber.
LINK

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Our sheriff......I love this guy......

Mike ChitwoodYesterday at 1:46 PM ·

I have been asked about this weekend's break-in at a DeBary gun shop, where 18 weapons (handguns, rifles and shotguns) were stolen by a group of 15 to 19-year-olds from Orlando.
Members of the Orange County Sheriff's Office were monitoring/following these criminals as they traveled to DeBary from Orange County.
We've always had a great working relationship with Orange County SO, and I know that will continue to be the case.
However, I want gun store owners and every Volusia County resident to know that what happened in this case is not going to happen again in our county.
We are not OK with watching a group of thugs smash into a gun store, leave with an arsenal and put lives at risk in the process.
I am glad that these 5 are in custody, no one was injured and all but one of the guns were recovered. But in the future, we are not going to allow this scenario to play out. There's no way to know for sure how it's going to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.