The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
And it appears 'empowering' to those who flock towards it.
Maybe for some people, but I would say you're way off base in my experience. I own an AR-15 and know a lot of other people who do. Practically every one of us bought one or (in my case) built one for the same general reasons, none of which have to do with "looks" for Pete's sake:
1. The AR platform is a mil-spec platform. Parts are (mostly) interchangeable from rifle to rifle and readily available.
2. AR-15s are extremely easy to maintain, clean, etc.
3. The AR platform is modular in nature. Upgrades are easy to add without major modifications required (in most cases) and without the need to buy a whole new rifle. Simple economics, you can buy/build a basic rifle and upgrade as you go with incremental costs for new stocks, sights, scopes, lights, etc. Repairs are usually simple and parts plentiful/economical.
4. The platform is extremely reliable overall. AR-15s can often fire when extremely dirty, wet, even sandy.
5. The AR-15 (chambered in the traditional .223/5.56 caliber anyway) has very manageable recoil and follow up shots can be put on target quickly and accurately (especially if you choose a good muzzle break).
6. Accessories - cases, slings, etc. - are plentiful and somewhat standardized due to above mentioned modularity.

For a shooter hobbyist/enthusiast or even some short-range hunters the platform has a ton to offer. Sure, you have a few "tacti-cool" idiots, but the popularity of the AR-15 and related weapons (like the AR-10) have much much more to do with the flexibility, economics, and reliability of the platform than you make it sound.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Maybe for some people, but I would say you're way off base in my experience. I own an AR-15 and know a lot of other people who do. Practically every one of us bought one or (in my case) built one for the same general reasons, none of which have to do with "looks" for Pete's sake:
1. The AR platform is a mil-spec platform. Parts are (mostly) interchangeable from rifle to rifle and readily available.
2. AR-15s are extremely easy to maintain, clean, etc.
3. The AR platform is modular in nature. Upgrades are easy to add without major modifications required (in most cases) and without the need to buy a whole new rifle. Simple economics, you can buy/build a basic rifle and upgrade as you go with incremental costs for new stocks, sights, scopes, lights, etc. Repairs are usually simple and parts plentiful/economical.
4. The platform is extremely reliable overall. AR-15s can often fire when extremely dirty, wet, even sandy.
5. The AR-15 (chambered in the traditional .223/5.56 caliber anyway) has very manageable recoil and follow up shots can be put on target quickly and accurately (especially if you choose a good muzzle break).
6. Accessories - cases, slings, etc. - are plentiful and somewhat standardized due to above mentioned modularity.

For a shooter hobbyist/enthusiast or even some short-range hunters the platform has a ton to offer. Sure, you have a few "tacti-cool" idiots, but the popularity of the AR-15 and related weapons (like the AR-10) have much much more to do with the flexibility, economics, and reliability of the platform than you make it sound.
You have to admit that it looks menacing, intimidating. That is a big draw for many, especially those like this guy.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
It has increased greatly since then. I'm sure this incident will register another uptick in gun sales in fear that the jackbooted goons will be closing down the gun shops.
Well actually you're just flat wrong. Polls are varied, but some (CBS/NYTimes in 2016) say gun ownership is down quite a bit. Others say it dipped but went back up a bit the last couple of years. This data set shows gun ownership at about 42% in 2017 - about the same as it was in 1972. So try again.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...eholds-in-the-united-states-owning-a-firearm/

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
You have to admit that it looks menacing, intimidating. That is a big draw for many, especially those like this guy.
One man's "menacing" is another man's practical. What if I find tattoos and dreadlocks "menacing"? Should we ban half of the NFL from walking the streets?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well actually you're just flat wrong. Polls are varied, but some (CBS/NYTimes in 2016) say gun ownership is down quite a bit. Others say it dipped but went back up a bit the last couple of years. This data set shows gun ownership at about 42% in 2017 - about the same as it was in 1972. So try again.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...eholds-in-the-united-states-owning-a-firearm/
Actually, new purchases are plunging and have been since Trump was elected. Remington Arms, main factory here, has filed for bankruptcy protection...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Dreads and tats dont kill anybody.
So you say. :) j/k

Seriously though, that wasn't my point. My point is if we start regulating stuff based on "looks", who gets to decide what "looks menacing"? You? Me? The local police chief? Congress (God forbid)? Sorry, but it's an asinine argument in my opinion. The anti-gun - or pro-gun control if you prefer - folks on this board love to speak with data (questionable or not) when it fits the narrative, but then throw out things like this with no basis at all.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
So you say. :) j/k

Seriously though, that wasn't my point. My point is if we start regulating stuff based on "looks", who gets to decide what "looks menacing"? You? Me? The local police chief? Congress (God forbid)? Sorry, but it's an asinine argument in my opinion. The anti-gun - or pro-gun control if you prefer - folks on this board love to speak with data (questionable or not) when it fits the narrative, but then throw out things like this with no basis at all.
He's not advocating legislation based on looks.

He's just dismissing all the legitimate reasons for ordinary citizens to have weapons similar to what police and military have, because some people only want them because they think they look cool.

They DO look cool, but that's not a compelling reason to have them OR to restrict access to them.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
To be honest, you're coming at the this from the wrong direction.

What you're really asking is "why should the government curtail a citizens legal use of his 2A rights?"

Remember, 2A limits the government, not the people. Somewhat trivial point to some, but not to everyone.
You didn't answer my question, and we've already established that the second amendment is not an absolute right.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
One man's "menacing" is another man's practical. What if I find tattoos and dreadlocks "menacing"? Should we ban half of the NFL from walking the streets?
Only the half that doesn’t stand for the anthem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You didn't answer my question, and we've already established that the second amendment is not an absolute right.
Perhaps, but it does not therefore follow that the Federal government has been delegated any power over the subject.
States can do pretty much what they want (unless it runs afoul of Article I, Section 10 of the Constitution).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here is a chart showing gun ownership form 1986-2013. Note the two green shades at the bottom, wrt my remarks about the growth of handgun ownership. Extrapolate backwards to the '60s and you'll see what I mean when I say that handgun ownership used to be a rarity...

NPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.