The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
More Children Were Shot Dead in 2017 Than On-Duty Police Officers and Active Duty Military, Study Says

Firearm-related deaths in school-age children are increasing at alarming rates in the United States where homicide rates are about 6- to 9-fold higher than those in comparably developed countries. This epidemic poses increasingly major clinical, public health and policy challenges.

A study led by researchers at Florida Atlantic University's Schmidt College of Medicine explored temporal trends in deaths from firearms among U.S. schoolchildren by age and race from 1999 to 2017. Their report quantifies these recent epidemics using data from the Multiple Cause of Death Files of the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS).

Results of the study, just published in the American Journal of Medicine, show that from 1999 to 2017, 38,942 firearm-related deaths occurred in 5 to 18 year olds. These included 6,464 deaths in children between the ages of 5 to 14 years old (average of 340 deaths per year), and 32,478 deaths in children between the ages of 15 to 18 years old (average of 2,050 deaths per year).

"It is sobering that in 2017, there were 144 police officers who died in the line of duty and about 1,000 active duty military throughout the world who died, whereas 2,462 school-age children were killed by firearms," said Charles H. Hennekens, M.D., senior author, first Sir Richard Doll Professor, and senior academic advisor in FAU's Schmidt College of Medicine.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Dad Accidentally Shot, Killed by Gun in Diaper Bag

In Birmingham, no less.

An Alabama man has died days after his gun accidentally discharged while he was changing his daughter's diaper outside a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant, striking him and his young child.The Jefferson County coroner's office identified the man as being 22-year-old Timothy Roshun Smith Jr on Tuesday. Police in the Birmingham suburb of Vestavia Hills say Smith was preparing to change his daughter's diaper in a car outside the pizza restaurant Saturday, when a gun went off, AL.com reports.Police say the girl was shot in the leg and the man in the chest. The girl's injuries weren't considered life threatening.
That was one loaded diaper.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Dad Accidentally Shot, Killed by Gun in Diaper Bag

In Birmingham, no less.

That was one loaded diaper.
honestly, if you are convinced that you can't safely leave your house without being armed, maybe you should just stay home.

i see stories like this regularly

6-year-old girl dies days after accidental shooting in Paulding County

A 6-year-old girl has died after being shot by her 4-year-old brother in Paulding County on Monday evening, authorities said. ...
The accidental shooting happened about 6 p.m. inside a car parked in the driveway of a home on Laurelcrest Lane in unincorporated Dallas, Paulding County sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Ashley Henson previously told AJC.com. “They were all loaded up to leave the home and the car wouldn’t start,” Henson said. Their mother hopped out to find the source of the problem, and somehow the young boy got hold of a handgun, he said.His sister was shot in the head. She was taken to a Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta location with serious injuries.After speaking with the children’s mother, detectives believe the handgun was retrieved from the center console, and the 4-year-old accidentally discharged it.

Last edited:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And despite how awful it is, all I think of is how that parent should go to jail for leaving access of her guns to children of that age. Not that she shouldn't have been able to own the gun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
as far as i can tell she was fully within her rights to own a gun. she should never be allowed to own one again, imho.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
It wasn't that she was allowed to own one. It's that it was unsecured in a place where kids could get to it. Kids too young to be able to be taught intelligently not to do something.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He tried to get his wife to change the baby, but she said “Would it kill you to do it?”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It wasn't that she was allowed to own one. It's that it was unsecured in a place where kids could get to it. Kids too young to be able to be taught intelligently not to do something.

yeah. i wish there was a way to make sure gun owners were responsible gun owners. unfortunately, that's pretty far down the list of possible policy approaches in our country.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
honestly, if you are convinced that you can't safely leave your house without being armed, maybe you should just stay home.

i see stories like this regularly

6-year-old girl dies days after accidental shooting in Paulding County
I think it's people looking for a reason to carry a gun. I RARELY carry a gun. The only time I carry my gun is when we go on vacation and when I get called out late at night to one of our rental properties. Other than that. I don't feel the need to carry a gun. I feel most situations that come up I can handle without pulling a fire arm.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I think it's people looking for a reason to carry a gun. I RARELY carry a gun. The only time I carry my gun is when we go on vacation and when I get called out late at night to one of our rental properties. Other than that. I don't feel the need to carry a gun. I feel most situations that come up I can handle without pulling a fire arm.
I carry on similar occasions. I don't routinely carry every day. It's a lot of responsibility. I do keep a pistol in my vehicle but it is in a safe that requires an rfid to open.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
What are y'alls thoughts on how to control the "black market" if any significant changes were to ever happen with gun control? By significant changes I'm not talking about a ban on guns or ammo altogether. But for example, if there ever were legislation that made it significantly harder to obtain a gun via retail/legal means. How would "you" suggest controlling the black market that certainly will explode. It's pretty big right now.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
What are y'alls thoughts on how to control the "black market" if any significant changes were to ever happen with gun control? By significant changes I'm not talking about a ban on guns or ammo altogether. But for example, if there ever were legislation that made it significantly harder to obtain a gun via retail/legal means. How would "you" suggest controlling the black market that certainly will explode. It's pretty big right now.
as always, the devil would be in the details, but i think attaching liability to the last legal owner when a gun showed up in the black market/used for a crime may help.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
as always, the devil would be in the details, but i think attaching liability to the last legal owner when a gun showed up in the black market/used for a crime may help.
Part of the details could be legislation that any firearm had to be sold through an authorized dealer. It wouldn't eliminate "private sales" per se, but would put an authorized agent between the two private parties to process the sale. A stolen firearm paperwork would have to be filled out to exempt previous legal owner from liability of current illegal holder of gun.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Part of the details could be legislation that any firearm had to be sold through an authorized dealer. It wouldn't eliminate "private sales" per se, but would put an authorized agent between the two private parties to process the sale. A stolen firearm paperwork would have to be filled out to exempt previous legal owner from liability of current illegal holder of gun.
In your view, does that happen when grandpa buys a .410 for his grandson?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
In your view, does that happen when grandpa buys a .410 for his grandson?
Grandpa buys a .410, decides to give it to his grandson. Either grandpa or grandson's parents assume liability for actions of the minor with the gun until grandson becomes an adult. When I was 8 I threw a rock threw a window of a neighbors car as he was driving by. Don't ask me why I did, I just did. My dad had to pay for it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Grandpa buys a .410, decides to give it to his grandson. Either grandpa or grandson's parents assume liability for actions of the minor with the gun until grandson becomes an adult. When I was 8 I threw a rock threw a window of a neighbors car as he was driving by. Don't ask me why I did, I just did. My dad had to pay for it.
Works fine for new gun sales, but does little for the 300-ish million already out there.

And of course does nothing wrt addressing criminal sales / trades.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Works fine for new gun sales, but does little for the 300-ish million already out there.

And of course does nothing wrt addressing criminal sales / trades.
Oh I know. That's why I asked the question how people plan on dealing with the black market. The easy part is new gun sales. The hardest part is existing legal gun owners, existing illegal gun owners and dealing with black market transactions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.