The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
A black security guard caught a shooting suspect — only to be shot by police minutes later

In the early hours of Sunday morning, 26-year-old Jemel Roberson was working security at a bar in the Chicago suburbs when a shooting broke out. Shortly after Roberson subdued the suspect at gunpoint, police arrived — and fatally shot the armed security guard as he pinned the suspect to the ground.

Roberson was working at Manny’s Blue Room Bar, in Robbins, Illinois, when security personnel asked a group of men to leave following an argument. Soon after, at least one man returned to the bar and began shooting, injuring some of the people in the bar. Security returned fire and Roberson detained the man.

Roberson “had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back, like, ‘Don’t move,’” witness Adam Harris told local news outlet WGN.

When police arrived, an officer immediately opened fire, killing Roberson, as witnesses told them to stop. “Everybody was screaming out, ‘Security!’ He was a security guard,” Harris said.

“They still did their job, and saw a black man with a gun, and basically killed him,” he added.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Have been involved fairly extensively in 3D printing. Videos like this imply that the mathematics involved in deriving the solid design model and the process of building in a 3D printer is a relatively easy and inexpensive process. Neither of these assumptions are true. One additional factor is that the 3D prototype is normally used as a mold for construction of the actual part in a molding process. Printing each part on a 3D printer is expensive and laborious. Based on this I don't get very concerned about 3D built guns showing up in significant numbers. Just my thoughts obviously could be proven wrong.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Have been involved fairly extensively in 3D printing. Videos like this imply that the mathematics involved in deriving the solid design model and the process of building in a 3D printer is a relatively easy and inexpensive process. Neither of these assumptions are true. One additional factor is that the 3D prototype is normally used as a mold for construction of the actual part in a molding process. Printing each part on a 3D printer is expensive and laborious. Based on this I don't get very concerned about 3D built guns showing up in significant numbers. Just my thoughts obviously could be proven wrong.
Yeah, its a distraction from much more serious gun control measures that are needed.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
So, let me ask you: isn’t it typical for new technology to be initially expensive but to decline in price and usually increase in user “friendliness” as the years go by?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I agree. We have some SLA printers that do a wonderful job of printing a finished product but they require a LOT of time and the polymers necessary for this type application would be very expensive right now.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
I agree. We have some SLA printers that do a wonderful job of printing a finished product but they require a LOT of time and the polymers necessary for this type application would be very expensive right now.
Shoot, I can't get a fidget spinner printed that will survive a 3 foot drop without shattering! I can only imagine the polymer that can take multiple explosions!

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
House Dems Will Push for Background Check on Every Gun Sale

House Democrats plan to prioritize a bill that will require a background check for every gun sale, according to multiple sources close to the matter. The legislation represents an aggressive shift in strategy by Democrats and their gun reform allies, who in previous years had tended to pursue more modest background check bills that would have exempted large numbers of gun purchases.

Federal law currently only requires licensed firearm retailers, such as gun stores or hunting shops, to run the would-be buyer through the FBI’s National Instant Background Check System. This means any firearms purchased outside those venues—on the internet or from a private dealer at a gun show, for instance—can be sold without taking that step. According to a 2017 study in the Annals of Internal Medicine, which was funded in part by supporters of gun control, 22 percent of US gun owners obtained a firearm without a background check over the past two years.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'm ok with this. I guess it means I'll never sell a weapon privately again (unless I learn how to do these checks) but again, am fine with this.

I will also say that gun violence in Chicago (I use it due to the large numbers of gun violence, gun laws, and reports of the state next door providing private sales) will not decrease.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Headed out tomorrow to practice my gun control at the Governor's Club range in Kennesaw. Good times.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
From the CDC report: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

Firearm homicides

• Number of deaths: 14,415
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 4.5

Firearm suicides

• Number of deaths: 22,938
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 7.1
https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...deaths-reach-highest-level-in-nearly-40-years

[FONT=&quot]Nearly 40,000 people were killed by guns last year, according to the data.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 39,773 recorded deaths from firearms marked an increase of more than 10,000 compared to the 28,874 deaths recorded in 1999.

I thought the gun deaths by homicide would have been much higher[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.