The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
22 shorts used to say range 1 mile. Not sure how 'range' is measured. As crimsonaudio said, a shot at a 45° angle would yield maximum distance.
The actual degree that would yield maximum distance would differ based on ground conditions ie. temp, humidity, elevation ect. but will always be less than 45.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
From what I remember from high school physics, 45 is the optimal angle. Maybe however thats in a vacuum???
45° is optimal in a vacuum - it varies widely in the real world. I threw that in there as an easy-to-understand idealistic angle for maximum range.

IOW, you aren't getting three miles no matter what you do, you'l be lucky to break a mile, and that's not aiming - it's going for maximum range.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
45° is optimal in a vacuum - it varies widely in the real world. I threw that in there as an easy-to-understand idealistic angle for maximum range.

IOW, you aren't getting three miles no matter what you do, you'l be lucky to break a mile, and that's not aiming - it's going for maximum range.
One neighbor has a teenager who's been known to do some illegal target practice with his .22 from time to time. The distance to our carport from where he used to shoot would be about 500'. One day, I went out to find a .22-sized dent in my wife's rear door and the spent slug. I emailed the dad, told him I really didn't want to have to call the police and the shooting stopped. Although it could have ricocheted, it didn't penetrate the metal, which is not super thick on a Subaru. If it it hit an eye, it could have done some damaged and would have embedded in skin and shallowly in flesh. Just one yardstick of what can be done with a .22...

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From the WSJ:

Walmart Inc. WMT +0.33% said it will stop selling ammunition for assault-style rifles and handguns, further restricting the retailer’s gun-related sales and policies after two deadly shootings in Walmart stores last month.
Ammunition that can be used in high-capacity magazines on assault-style guns, as well as all handgun ammunition will no longer be sold in stores, the company said. Walmart ended the sale of handguns in all stores except those in Alaska over two decades ago, but will now stop in the state as well.
“As a company, we experienced two horrific events in one week, and we will never be the same,” Walmart Chief Executive Doug McMillon said in an email to employees Tuesday. “Our remaining assortment will be even more focused on the needs of hunting and sport-shooting enthusiasts.”

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A number of businesses are now banning open carry in their stores. Which seems to freak people out in the comments section on Facebook articles.

Considering I don’t recall ever seeing anyone open carry (not counting cops), what is the big deal? You can still conceal carry, which I am sure many do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Now being reported on NBC that latest Texas shooter couldn't pass background check so he bought it from a private sale.:rolleye2:
SNAFU
Not trying to be snarky here (seriously not) but would it have been different if he had went out and stolen one or got one on the black market? The problem is people and not the weapon (regardless of what weapon is used). I get that firearms are a more efficient way to kill more people. That's undeniable. But, if I want you dead and cannot get a gun I'm just gonna find another instrument to do the job. I may not be able to kill as many people at one time but I could certainly change tactics and sneak around and kill as many as I can prior to getting caught/killed.
I've agreed before that something needs to be done. What that is I don't exactly know. I don't know how you would legitimately be able to screen most people for actual mental illnesses if symptoms are not manifesting. I would also worry about the gvt (no matter if a D or R were in power) overstepping their bounds and going after all they could get and so on.
I would say that maybe the ammo sales could kind of be like buying sudefed in that if you ordered a certain bulk amount or a certain amount in a specified amount of time the ammo provider has to notify authorities in the local area of where the ammo is delivered so that law enforcement could be alerted for possible problems. Of course, this would require law enforcement to not drop the ball.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
My 5-year-old nephew started kindergarten this week, and the very first thing they learned was how to hide from an active shooter in the dark and be completely silent.

This is not okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.