The Perpetual Gun Control Thread
Page 1 of 94 123456781151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 1213
  1. #1
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,222

    The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    It might be best to provide a more permanent place for this recurring discussion rather than overtaking the tragedy threads each time.

    To start things off, I think Australia's response to its gun violence problem was pretty well-conceived. Here's an Aussie's description:

    What it's Like to Own Guns in a Country with Strict Gun Control

    I love firearms. I collect them and I enjoy shooting them. I probably have 30 pistols and 20 rifles or shotgun combinations. My family has always had lots and lots of firearms. My father was a shooter and we had a property when I was growing up, so from the age of 12 I had a rifle. Target shooting was offered as a school sport and I used to carry my .308 rifle to the rifle range unsupervised with my friends on Saturday for practice and competition.

    Then, after the 1996 massacre, I probably had to hand in six to eight semiautomatic rifles and shotguns to the police. We got fair value for them, but I wasnít thrilled to be doing it because I thought ďWell gee, what have I done wrong?Ē Would anything untoward ever have happened with the firearms I owned? No.

    A lot of people think there arenít any guns in Australia any more, but there are. By some estimates there is one gun for every seven people. My local suburban pistol club has 300 members. My sons have been shooting since they were 12 and both have rifle and pistol licenses.

    Itís actually not that hard to own a gun. But you do have to have a genuine reason. You have to be a member of a target shooting club or a hunter and you have to prove it. For hunting, you can get written permission from a landowner who says you are hunting on his land. Or you can join a hunting club. Pistols [handguns], on the other hand, are heavily restricted. All applicants undergo a background check by the police and there is a mandatory 30 day cooling off period for all license applications, both long arms and pistols. Firearms safety training courses are mandatory as well.

    One of the biggest changes is that the government established different types of firearms for different categories of guns and ruled that each would need different licenses. Hereís roughly how it works:

    Category A is .22s, shotguns and air rifles. Thatís the easiest license to obtain. No semiautomatics are allowed.

    Category B is for center fire rifles. You have to provide a reason for why you need a more powerful gun. I shoot feral pigs and foxes; thatís a valid reason. Again, no semiautomatics.

    Category C is available only to farmers; they can own a semiautomatic shotgun or .22 but the cartridges are limited to five shots for the shotgun and 10 shots for the .22.

    Category D, for semiautomatic guns and rifles, is only for professional shooters: you have to have a registered business and prove that you are earning an income through shooting.

    An H license is for handguns. If you want to buy a pistol in Australia youíve got to be a member of a target pistol club. Youíve got to do a minimum of eight competition shoots per year to keep your license. If you donít, you lose it.

    If you were to ask the average Australian who isnít a shooter, they would say that most people shouldnít have access to any firearms. But the reality is that gun-lovers like me belong to a club and are doing no harm. I go clay pigeon shooting on a Saturday. I go pistol shooting on Sunday morning. Thatís my hobby. And then every month or every eight weeks I go and visit my friendís farm and hunt his feral pigs. He loses about 1,500 to 2,000 lambs a year to feral pigs. So we deal with them.

    People who love to shoot in Australia look at the situation in America with dismay. We all want to be able to continue our sport. All these mass killings are giving it a bad name. Itís making everybody fear people like me, where they should have no fear.

  2. #2

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    This one is always brought up, but they didn't have to circumvent an equivalent to the 2A, nor the subsequent SCOTUS rulings.

    It's a tough, uphill climb here - it's a very different situation than what AUS faced.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

  3. #3
    BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Memphis,TN.
    Posts
    3,493

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    The gun lobby, primarily the NRA, is in so many politician's pockets that I don't expect anything to change. I thought Sandy Hook would be a catalyst for better gun laws but it didn't.
    I'm not anti gun and I own 3, but I don't see why anyone needs an AR15. We don't have to totally ban gun ownership, but we do need to address the laws that govern gun ownership. I don't see anything being done with the current administration so one can only hope for the future.
    How many more of these school shootings will we see?

  4. #4
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Slocomb, Al
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    Every school in America should have security and not some old guy security (sorry Earl ) but real security.

  5. #5
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,222
    Thread Starter

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    This one is always brought up, but they didn't have to circumvent an equivalent to the 2A, nor the subsequent SCOTUS rulings.

    It's a tough, uphill climb here - it's a very different situation than what AUS faced.
    You're right. Australia is brought up frequently, but I feel like many people think guns were outlawed after the buyback. They definitely weren't, and I actually think they've found a reasonable way to allow responsible people to own guns while both limiting the ability for nutjobs to purchase them and preventing non-gunowners from finding someone else's weapon to use on themselves or others. The situations are different, but I think we can still learn from their experiences.

    Although the 2nd amendment is already a limited right, that's obviously the legal hurdle. Another significant difference between the two countries is that handguns in Australia were always tightly regulated. Assault rifles are the weapons that make the news, but it's handguns that are responsible for most homocides and suicides.

    FWIW, here's the guy's (outside) perspective.

    One big difference is that in Australia, we think owning a gun is a privilege, and in America people think of it as a right.

    When then Prime Minister John Howard proposed the gun law I marched like everybody else did in opposition to it. But I now fully endorse what he did. I didnít like handing over my rifles, but at the end of the day, itís a small price to pay not to have the nut-jobs walking through shopping centers and massacring innocent people.

    Australia is a great country. You can go hunting, you can go shooting. And as long as you hurt nobody and abide the law you can continue to do it. That to me is freedom. The idea of having people own guns with no concept of gun safety and no reason to have a gun? That is not my idea of freedom.

  6. #6
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Atlanta 'Burbs
    Posts
    10,483

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    You're right. Australia is brought up frequently, but I feel like many people think guns were outlawed after the buyback. They definitely weren't, and I actually think they've found a reasonable way to allow responsible people to own guns while both limiting the ability for nutjobs to purchase them and preventing non-gunowners from finding someone else's weapon to use on themselves or others. The situations are different, but I think we can still learn from their experiences.

    Although the 2nd amendment is already a limited right, that's obviously the legal hurdle. Another significant difference between the two countries is that handguns in Australia were always tightly regulated. Assault rifles are the weapons that make the news, but it's handguns that are responsible for most homocides and suicides.

    FWIW, here's the guy's (outside) perspective.
    then you have this country where our CDC is explicitly restricted from even studying the reasons for gun death in the country.
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

  7. #7
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cullman, Al
    Posts
    6,060

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    We have more than enough gun laws, thats a fact. Criminals have and always will have them, that is also a fact. They can take my guns off my rotting corpse. Trust me thats the only way they will get them.

  8. #8
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,072

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    It might be best to provide a more permanent place for this recurring discussion rather than overtaking the tragedy threads each time.

    To start things off, I think Australia's response to its gun violence problem was pretty well-conceived. Here's an Aussie's description:

    What it's Like to Own Guns in a Country with Strict Gun Control

    Now.....remind me again about how many can easily be brought in across the border into Australia from other countries???????

    The simple fact of the matter is that anything short of 100% confiscation isn't going to prevent even one. I've never understand why the very same people who tell me that outlawing abortion won't end it and outlawing drugs won't end drug abuse (and they're right on both counts) suddenly reverse field and think that making guns harder to get will end school shootings.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  9. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,072

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    then you have this country where our CDC is explicitly restricted from even studying the reasons for gun death in the country.
    I'm gonna go with "getting hit by a bullet" for $600, Alex.....
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  10. #10
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Shiner, TX
    Posts
    23,299

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    then you have this country where our CDC is explicitly restricted from even studying the reasons for gun death in the country.
    Gun death types - accidental & intentional.

    Accidental - not enough training, careless (mishandling, showing off, weapon not stored properly to allow access by a child), incapacitated (drunk/drugged)

    Intentional - malicious with aforethought, self-defense, freaking insane

    Did that help?

    On a more serious note:

    How to stop - Give a full psyche test to anyone who wants to purchase a gun. Review criminal history, medical history, blood test, review all educational records (including school counselor's & Principal/VP/Teacher notes in student's file), review social media, review job history, etc. I don't know man, I really just don't know.

  11. #11
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Breaux Bridge, La
    Posts
    17,231

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    The left wants a world where only the police have guns?

    The same police that they protest constantly?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

  12. #12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,222
    Thread Starter

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The simple fact of the matter is that anything short of 100% confiscation isn't going to prevent even one.
    Well that's just not true. I'll stick with Australia because they're the closest analog to the US. Whether you agree with gun control or not, the rate of gun violence dropped after the buyback. Statistics would tell you that at least one shooting was prevented.



    outlawing abortion won't end [abortion] and outlawing drugs won't end drug abuse
    Cool strawman, but no one has suggested outlawing guns.

  13. #13
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    34,950

    Re: The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Well that's just not true. I'll stick with Australia because they're the closest analog to the US. Whether you agree with gun control or not, the rate of gun violence dropped after the buyback. Statistics would tell you that at least one shooting was prevented.




    Cool strawman, but no one has suggested outlawing guns.
    remember, we're exceptional. we need to focus more on providing an effortless, smooth and efficient process though which one can buy the latest offering from smith and wesson to add to their tool collection.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

Alabama Crimson Tide gear at Fanatics.com