The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
District of Columbia v. Heller recognized an individual right to possess a firearm under the Constitution. Here’s why the case was wrongly decided -- By former Assoc. Justice John Paul Stevens

The text of the Second Amendment unambiguously explains its purpose: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” When it was adopted, the country was concerned that the power of Congress to disarm the state militias and create a national standing army posed an intolerable threat to the sovereignty of the several states.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://constitution.org/cons/wellregu.htm

“phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you BamaFlum. How about the militia part? Let me guess, every man was part of the militia? "the militia was in proper working order?"

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Glad you asked:
https://www.constitution.org/mil/cs_milit.htm

“‘The militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, ... all men capable of bearing arms;...’”
— "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic", 1788 (either Richard Henry Lee or Melancton Smith).

I found this particularly interesting:
“When we are alone, we are all militia units of one. When together with others in a situation requiring a defensive response, we have the duty to act together in concert to meet the challenge. Those two component duties, of individuals to defend the community, and to act together in concert with others present, when combined with a third component duty to prepare to do one's duty and not just wait until the danger is clear and present, comprises the militia duty.”

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Thanks BamaFlum. I didn't even know who Richard Henry Lee was.

The full quote:
Richard Henry Lee quotes Showing 1-2 of 2. “A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves... and include all men capable of bearing arms.” “To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.”

If you have a bunch of folks running around with guns with no training, certainly not taught alike, and having all different calibers and styles, it seems to me that the militia is not well regulated. Would you be in favor of requiring training before a firearm could be possessed?

Don't mean to open a can of worms.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Thanks BamaFlum. I didn't even know who Richard Henry Lee was.

The full quote:
Richard Henry Lee quotes Showing 1-2 of 2. “A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves... and include all men capable of bearing arms.” “To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.”

If you have a bunch of folks running around with guns with no training, certainly not taught alike, and having all different calibers and styles, it seems to me that the militia is not well regulated. Would you be in favor of requiring training before a firearm could be possessed?

Don't mean to open a can of worms.
No worries!

Would I like to see it? Absolutely. But back then, it was families training their kids. I wish that could be the case today.

Required? That would be very difficult to implement and control. I could see an inexpensive short introductory class required for new retail purchases, but what do you do with those who already own firearms? Will there be a renewal like a DL? Friend buying from another friend? A grandfather passing down his old repeater rifle to his grandson?

I like to stand on the side of freedoms and the older I get, the more libertarian in my views I become. So I’m Leary if more government run programs.

Sorry to be so non-committal. [emoji6]

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
No worries!

Would I like to see it? Absolutely. But back then, it was families training their kids. I wish that could be the case today.

Required? That would be very difficult to implement and control. I could see an inexpensive short introductory class required for new retail purchases, but what do you do with those who already own firearms? Will there be a renewal like a DL? Friend buying from another friend? A grandfather passing down his old repeater rifle to his grandson?

I like to stand on the side of freedoms and the older I get, the more libertarian in my views I become. So I’m Leary if more government run programs.

Sorry to be so non-committal. [emoji6]

It is the same today. I have three sons and they have all been trained how to load, accurately fire, and clean their weapons.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Interesting that we had another nut with a gun in a crowd over the weekend and it didn't even rate a mention here, until now. It has gotten so bad that its becoming the 'new normal'. I guess 'only 3 killed' is not a big deal anymore. This is disturbing in so many ways.
GILROY, Calif. (KTVU) - Three people were killed by a gunman at the Gilroy Garlic Festival before police shot and killed him Sunday, the city's police chief said.
Police Chief Scot Smithee said a second suspect could be on the loose and dozens of officers are searching the area. Smithee said the suspect who was killed came into the festival through a nearby creek by cutting through a fence. His name and age were not released.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/possible-shooting-reported-at-gilroy-garlic-festival

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The guy killed in the Southaven, MS Wal-Mart (one of them anyway) attended my high school.
He had cousins in the class behind me and my sister's class.

(No relation btw - which tells you which one he was).

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Interesting that we had another nut with a gun in a crowd over the weekend and it didn't even rate a mention here, until now. It has gotten so bad that its becoming the 'new normal'. I guess 'only 3 killed' is not a big deal anymore. This is disturbing in so many ways.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/possible-shooting-reported-at-gilroy-garlic-festival
An update.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/us/gilroy-shooter-extremist-material/index.html

On an Instagram account bearing Legan's name, created shortly before the Gilroy shooting, a post the day of the attack featured a photo of Smokey the Bear and a sign saying, "Fire Danger High Today."The caption read, "Read Might is Right by Ragnar Redbeard. Why overcrowd towns and pave more open space to make room for hordes of mestizos and Silicon Valley white tw**s?"

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think that's the case here at all - I just think we've discussed gun control to death and another random crazy person murdering people isn't going to change anyone's thoughts on what needs to be done (or not).

It's not like the first thing I think of when there's a shooting is "I gotta go to TF.com and discuss gun control..."

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't think that's the case here at all - I just think we've discussed gun control to death and another random crazy person murdering people isn't going to change anyone's thoughts on what needs to be done (or not).

It's not like the first thing I think of when there's a shooting is "I gotta go to TF.com and discuss gun control..."

So is it #2? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.