The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You can be sure a firearm is unloaded. Otherwise you could never clean your guns or do any dry fire practice unless you were at the range.

To me, finger off the trigger is gun safety 101, but it's kinda silly to act as if loaded cartridges can magically appear in a firearm that's been checked and is known to be empty - especially if the person holding it is simply posing for a photo.
the point is you always treat a gun as if it were loaded. cleaning and dry firing are much different than posing for photos and are going to be done (assuming competency of the handler) in a safe and controlled manner/environment.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
the point is you always treat a gun as if it were loaded. cleaning and dry firing are much different than posing for photos and are going to be done (assuming competency of the handler) in a safe and controlled manner/environment.
I get it, I'm just saying that assuming all these people posing with their new firearms have no clue as to whether they're loaded or not is silly. You're assuming they are incompetent - they may well have forgotten more about safe firearm handling than any of us will ever know.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I get it, I'm just saying that assuming all these people posing with their new firearms have no clue as to whether they're loaded or not is silly. You're assuming they are incompetent - they may well have forgotten more about safe firearm handling than any of us will ever know.
if they are posing with their finger on the trigger, they are incompetent at least in that moment as is the person taking the photo.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
if they are posing with their finger on the trigger, they are incompetent at least in that moment.
Agree to disagree. If they are certain it is unloaded, there is no harm.

While I won't do it as I want to retain good habits, firearms don't magically load themselves.

Kinda makes me chuckle that dude spent time scouring Twitter in order to tweet that.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
CT Supreme Court rules families of Sandy Hook shooting victims can sue gunmaker Remington over 2012 attack

A divided Connecticut Supreme Court has ruled gun maker Remington can be sued over how it marketed the Bushmaster rifle used to kill 20 children and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012.

Justices issued a 4-3 ruling that reinstated a wrongful death lawsuit and overturned a lower court ruling that the lawsuit was prohibited by a 2005 federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability in most cases when their products are used in crimes.

The plaintiffs include a survivor and relatives of nine people killed in the massacre. They argue the AR-15-style rifle used by shooter Adam Lanza is too dangerous for the public and Remington glorified the weapon in marketing it to young people.

Remington has denied wrongdoing and previously insisted it can’t be sued under the federal law.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The ruling was narrow in its scope - as I read it, it only allows the charge against them for marketing AR’s (to kids?) to continue; it supported the dismissal of all the other charges.
That’s similar to marketing cigs to kids, and I think big tobacco got nailed for that. I do not know what “evidence” they have, if this is in fact their purpose.
Interesting to see how SCOTUS would rule on this, if in fact there is corroborative evidence of them doing so (I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any). I do get tired of the pro gun loonies claiming hunters use them - the only ones who do (or ever have) are Nazis trying to make a point. I know and have known many hunters (was one) and I knew many of them had AR’s but none ever hunted with one, for probably several reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I do get tired of the pro gun loonies claiming hunters use them - the only ones who do (or ever have) are Nazis trying to make a point.
This is my favorite parody account on the world wide web. That it's on tidefans.....even better.

I've used/use them for hunting (pigs). In fact if you around online the weapon of choice is an AR-10 (looking at it you can't tell the difference between it and an AR-15, except the barrel/chamber for .308.)

The fact that I can carry 30 rounds at a time is even better when trying to slaughter those lil guys. Lots of pigs, engaged at one time, lots of bullets needed. And yes, this is niche hunting. While I wouldn't use it for deer, the only reason is because I don't hunt deer anymore. If I did I'd probably take it due to familiarity and ease of use. Magazine options not so much. If you need that many rounds to kill a deer, you stink.

Does this mean I'm automatically a Nazi? Like, I have a membership or are there additional steps? Can I not be a Nazi, or have I forfeited that choice?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The ruling was narrow in its scope - as I read it, it only allows the charge against them for marketing AR’s (to kids?) to continue; it supported the dismissal of all the other charges.
That’s similar to marketing cigs to kids, and I think big tobacco got nailed for that. I do not know what “evidence” they have, if this is in fact their purpose.
Interesting to see how SCOTUS would rule on this, if in fact there is corroborative evidence of them doing so (I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any). I do get tired of the pro gun loonies claiming hunters use them - the only ones who do (or ever have) are Nazis trying to make a point. I know and have known many hunters (was one) and I knew many of them had AR’s but none ever hunted with one, for probably several reasons
In some states they're too small (caliber-wise) to be used for hunting deer.

But the 2A isn't about hunting.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is my favorite parody account on the world wide web. That it's on tidefans.....even better.

I've used/use them for hunting (pigs). In fact if you around online the weapon of choice is an AR-10 (looking at it you can't tell the difference between it and an AR-15, except the barrel/chamber for .308.)

The fact that I can carry 30 rounds at a time is even better when trying to slaughter those lil guys. Lots of pigs, engaged at one time, lots of bullets needed. And yes, this is niche hunting. While I wouldn't use it for deer, the only reason is because I don't hunt deer anymore. If I did I'd probably take it due to familiarity and ease of use. Magazine options not so much. If you need that many rounds to kill a deer, you stink.

Does this mean I'm automatically a Nazi? Like, I have a membership or are there additional steps? Can I not be a Nazi, or have I forfeited that choice?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Here's an interesting article about the .223 for deer:LINK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wouldn't hesitate to use my AR for deer in Alabama-type deer hunting. Wouldn't use it in the wide open spaces of Colorado (where it's not legal, anyway)...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I honestly don't think this suit is going anywhere...
Probably, but it's an interesting angle. Basically arguing that marketing guns to civilians specifically for combat use violates fair trade regulations since no combat usage would be legal for civilians and marketing products for illegal activities is... well, not legal. We'll see if they have the evidence to support that. But more broadly, I'm completely opposed to this one industry being immune to prosecution due to the NRA's stranglehold on Republican representatives, so I'm eager to just sit back and see if the discovery process reveals anything juicy.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Here's an interesting article about the .223 for deer:LINK
Especially liked the last paragraph. The comments about tissue damage and “waiting for the perfect shot” are also accurate.
As for hunting hogs, out of all the hunters I know, three hunt hogs (there is a push to get more people to hunt them or somehow reduce their growing numbers). Two don’t use AR’s for sure, I’ll have to ask the third. If you want to kill 20 at a time (ones I know who hunt them don’t, for logistical and other reasons), just get an FFL and go buy a Thompson.
This may be a “ trend” that’s increasing in recent years; it wasn’t that way 20-30 years ago even when AR’s were still legal (maybe ammo manufacturers didn’t have appropriate loads either).
So it seems to be an effort by those who want everybody to be able to purchase any kind of gun to make it more commonplace, so there will be more support against any kind of gun control whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.