The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I don't think the scope ad is very unusual, but there are absolutely some firearm ads that are highly suggestive of illegal activity. Not sure whether the Bushmaster specifically has any, but IIRC it was the discovery process that ultimately showed the true colors of the tobacco industry.

Still doubtful that anything meaningful comes of this, but I do support the one hole CT's Supreme Court has created in the legal immunity gifted to the gun industry. IMO they should be no more or less liable than any other company.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't think the scope ad is very unusual, but there are absolutely some firearm ads that are highly suggestive of illegal activity. Not sure whether the Bushmaster specifically has any, but IIRC it was the discovery process that ultimately showed the true colors of the tobacco industry.

Still doubtful that anything meaningful comes of this, but I do support the one hole CT's Supreme Court has created in the legal immunity gifted to the gun industry. IMO they should be no more or less liable than any other company.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Let's just solve the problem by outlawing anything and everything that can be construed/used as a weapon against anyone else. Then, we kindly ask the criminals to turn theirs in as we know they are truly upstanding citizens. Then we ask anyone coming across the boarder to play nice and be good little boys and girls and we can all play in the park and have a grand time together and everything will be all warm and fuzzy.
No blue font by intent as it seems a lot of people in this country really seem to think this.

Now, back to reallity: there is evil in the world and there are people that will do harm to others regardless of if it's a gun, knife, baseball bat or spork that is used to do it.
It is tragic when people are senselessly killed by any means but we can't freak out every time and blame the guns.
I'm still waiting on video showing a gun (be it a pistol, rifle, shot gun or the dreaded ASAULT WEAPON ) actually get angry at someone, load itself, chamber its own round, aim itself and pull its own trigger in a violent fit of rage.
Point is, whenever something like this happens the outcry is all about " oh no!!!! another gun has killed someone". The gun didn't kill anyone the person behind it did. You will never effectively fix this short of confiscating every gun in this country. Guess what happens then? Something else is used as a tool to kill someone. Then that is outlwed. Then something else and so on.
As long as evil exists in this world people will kill and harm others.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm puzzled. Can you give examples?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
They did. I find the images disturbing but in no way illegal. What law?
I don’t think the Remington ad is outright calling for violence against elected officials, but I do think it’s threatening it with a wink and a nudge. In a world where the right-wing media and GOP representatives are publishing imagery that shows targets on the faces of politicians who advocate for gun control, I find this kind of “walk the line” marketing by gun makers to be highly irresponsible.

If Dodge marketed the Challenger as “great for running over protestors” before or after it was used in Charlottesville to do just that, I don’t know if that would be illegal, but it would certainly be immoral, and Dodge would likely be sued. When gun manufacturers market their products as essentially “great for shooting politicians” behind a wink and a nod, I don’t find it to be a vastly different situation.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don’t think the Remington ad is outright calling for violence against elected officials, but I do think it’s threatening it with a wink and a nudge. In a world where the right-wing media and GOP representatives are publishing imagery that shows targets on the faces of politicians who advocate for gun control, I find this kind of “walk the line” marketing by gun makers to be highly irresponsible.

If Dodge marketed the Challenger as “great for running over protestors” before or after it was used in Charlottesville to do just that, I don’t know if that would be illegal, but it would certainly be immoral, and Dodge would likely be sued. When gun manufacturers market their products as essentially “great for shooting politicians” behind a wink and a nod, I don’t find it to be a vastly different situation.
I do and it's not. This was settled first in the late 1700s with the Sedition Act cases and most recently in Wiki. Punishing speech, including advertising, is a very slippery slope, which was recognized early in the history of the republic...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I do and it's not. This was settled first in the late 1700s with the Sedition Act cases and most recently in Wiki. Punishing speech, including advertising, is a very slippery slope, which was recognized early in the history of the republic...
Doesn't change the way I feel about the rest of my comment, but I appreciate the link.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yep, I completely agree. The "slippery slope" theory is a very real thing. Regardless if it is viewed as a "fallacy" with its own wiki page. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.