The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Grandpa buys a .410, decides to give it to his grandson. Either grandpa or grandson's parents assume liability for actions of the minor with the gun until grandson becomes an adult. When I was 8 I threw a rock threw a window of a neighbors car as he was driving by. Don't ask me why I did, I just did. My dad had to pay for it.
I agree that the adults in the family should assume the liability of their kids actions.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh I know. That's why I asked the question how people plan on dealing with the black market. The easy part is new gun sales. The hardest part is existing legal gun owners, existing illegal gun owners and dealing with black market transactions.
These posts started me digging back through memories. Of all of the murders reported locally in the news, I assume that the intra-family killings probably were with legal weapons. In all of the others - drug-related, drive-bys, rage, etc., it's mentioned that the weapon was illegal - stolen, etc. The TV stations seem to go out of their ways to mention it. I guess it's pertinent...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
These posts started me digging back through memories. Of all of the murders reported locally in the news, I assume that the intra-family killings probably were with legal weapons. In all of the others - drug-related, drive-bys, rage, etc., it's mentioned that the weapon was illegal - stolen, etc. The TV stations seem to go out of their ways to mention it. I guess it's pertinent...
Oh yeah, our local news stations do the same thing. I just chalk it up to the personal beliefs of the producers and station owners influencing how things are reported.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh yeah, our local news stations do the same thing. I just chalk it up to the personal beliefs of the producers and station owners influencing how things are reported.
IDK if it's that or they're trying to throw in any tidbit they think might be of interest. However, it very much illustrates Brad's point above. There was a recent news item on gun thefts from autos, with an appeal from authorities not to leave a gun in a car. Here's a Guardian article from 2016:

Guardian

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Possibly because of the extra criminal charge of using a stolen firearm?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
IDK if it's that or they're trying to throw in any tidbit they think might be of interest. However, it very much illustrates Brad's point above. There was a recent news item on gun thefts from autos, with an appeal from authorities not to leave a gun in a car. Here's a Guardian article from 2016:

Guardian
I agree with Brad in that taking into consideration the number of guns already "out there" in our country. Outside of an all out confiscation of these guns, any legislation that only deals with new gun sales is useless on what we as a society are trying to accomplish with regard to gun control.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree with Brad in that taking into consideration the number of guns already "out there" in our country. Outside of an all out confiscation of these guns, any legislation that only deals with new gun sales is useless on what we as a society are trying to accomplish with regard to gun control.
i don't think it is useless. i imagine that any solution(s) we will come up with wrt gun control will involve many facets and will probably come into being (if it does at all) in a piece meal fashion.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
i don't think it is useless. i imagine that any solution(s) we will come up with wrt gun control will involve many facets and will probably come into being (if it does at all) in a piece meal fashion.
I could have used a better word to describe my line of thinking. I'm not saying useless (literally), but doesn't make a material difference in the overall goal.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
So, useless.
No, useless means literally nothing good comes out of it. Whereas a "material difference" means there maybe isolated, small pockets of "good" the program or legislation is accomplishing. But from an overall perspective, isn't producing the level of results toward accomplishing the goal. I take it you have zero experience in audit/accounting?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
or that many more people who may eventually vote for folks who may not dismiss potential policy solutions out of hand because they do not completely solve every conceivable problem
No one is asking for every conceivable problem to be solved. I'm asking for liberty to be preserved even where it means someone may be fearful of the potential negative consequences of that liberty. I am asking for big problems to not be created (abandoning a principled commitment to freedom) by solving small ones (reducing gun violence). Yes, I know you don't think that is what is happening with "common sense" gun control, there is no point in restating our disagreement on these points.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No one is asking for every conceivable problem to be solved. I'm asking for liberty to be preserved even where it means someone may be fearful of the potential negative consequences of that liberty. I am asking for big problems to not be created (abandoning a principled commitment to freedom) by solving small ones (reducing gun violence). Yes, I know you don't think that is what is happening with "common sense" gun control, there is no point in restating our disagreement on these points.
understood. i have similar thoughts about liberty when it comes to women having autonomy over their bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.