When Bobby Bowden Very Nearly Became The Head Coach (9/17 Article)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is always one of my favorite lines:

But Thomas, before his death in 2014, said he’d told Bowden he’d be interviewing before the full committee,

Well.......DUH!!!!!

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Bobby Bowden always reminded me of those guys that more so than not responds to questions with like a storyteller. To me, that suggests he's trying to shade the truth a bit. Even if Bowden truly didn't know that he was going to have an interview with the Alabama contingent, everyone knows you still have to complete an interview - even if it's a job that is supposedly yours.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks for the link Bill, good article. Not a big fan of either Bowden or Curry, but will always wonder how things would have turned out if Coach Stallings had replaced Coach Bryant. It makes no difference whose story is "the whole truth" it simply was not meant to be.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I like BB and think he's a heck of a coach, but to say I'm happy history went the way it went is an understatement.
Not so sure I agree with this assessment. I think he would have done as well here at Bama as he did at FSU. Add in those winning seasons rather than some of the disastrous ones we had, and I would have been ok with that result.

Thinking about it further, though, his presence here likely would have meant we never were in a position to go after Saban, so maybe not.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The article seems to imply Perkins was hired after Bryant died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Thanks for the link Bill, good article. Not a big fan of either Bowden or Curry, but will always wonder how things would have turned out if Coach Stallings had replaced Coach Bryant. It makes no difference whose story is "the whole truth" it simply was not meant to be.
Exactly. I often need to remind my wife, that you can't compare your outcome to the best possible outcome, such as making the best possible investment (e.g. bitcoin at $1), or the best possible employment etc. Real life is about avoiding the disastrous ones and living with the rest. There are indeed a couple of low-points in our pre-Saban history, but overall we can live with them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
the story Bowden has long told publicly every time that Alabama and Florida State’s fortunes intertwine

Oh gee, we've only played them TWICE since 1976.....

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Even if Bowden truly didn't know that he was going to have an interview with the Alabama contingent, everyone knows you still have to complete an interview - even if it's a job that is supposedly yours.
Not everybody has to interview. Not always. You think Saban and Bryant had to interview?

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I really wanted Coach Bowden. Who knows how that marriage would have gone, but I believed at the time he was our man. It is a fact that he was insulted that he was about to 'Interview'. I regret that he didn't bear with it (No pun intended, but it was a cool play on words wasn't it?) and stay the course. We went thru a lot afterwards because of it. He would have been great in T-town. As for his longevity in Tallahassee....he might have stayed a little long, and his time was past. He always was a man of class I thought. He wanted the job though. No doubt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.