AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Re: AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

No that's the point. Alabama runs a system that allows just about anybody to do that. That's why a converted RB who never even got to sniff the NFL at any position managed to break the single-season passing record at a school as storied as Alabama.

I'm not saying Greg is garbage, I just found him to be very underwhelming as a QB and to be frank I was quite worried AJ would be more of the same in his 1st year with the Tide - a year in which we won mostly on the strength of our defense and our running game - but he got consistently better the longer he was here to the point of developing into at least a consistent NFL backup.

Matt, we rarely disagree. I think I threw you with my initial comment, which was more hyperbolic and intended to be slightly outrageous, and in a thread already designed to somewhat scorch McElroy. But the truth is I don't see how anyone can watch the tape and think that Greg was anything but lucky to be on those teams as the starting QB. He has an excellent mind for the game! But none of the physical tools or other, non-mental intangibles, (quick twitch, consistent touch and accuracy) required to play it at a remarkable level.
despite the difficulty in finding a spot over his career, Sims was (besides Tua) arguably the best deep-ball thrower of the Saban era.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

despite the difficulty in finding a spot over his career, Sims was (besides Tua) arguably the best deep-ball thrower of the Saban era.
I think he had many of the necessary physical tools to be successful at the next level but didn't cut the mustard on the theoretical and game-plan side. He needed to improve his intermediate accuracy but he had a crazy fast release, great velocity, good footwork, good escapability and awareness.

I think that McCarron, to this point, is probably the best combination of QB physical talent and mental talent Saban has had at Alabama. I think he has a really good understanding of the game which is hopefully what will allow him to be successful at the next level. Other QB's have better physical tools so he's really gotta be on his P's and Q's from a game-plan standpoint.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think that Coker could have been pretty special if he had been your starter for another year or two. He had all of the tools.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

I think that Coker could have been pretty special if he had been your starter for another year or two. He had all of the tools.
I agree with you. Then again, I believe Coker is the only QB in D1 history to win a national championship AND go undefeated as a starter for his entire career (assuming some minimum number of starts). That's pretty special.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

any ideas on where AJ might land as a starter?

seems like there are a lot of fairly quality options for veteran FA quarterbacks this year.

may not be the best year for him to be making the move.
Browns, Jets, Broncos, and Cards in that order.

The problem is that there are a lot of big time free agents out there that have years of starting.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Maybe. He definitely improved and started playing his best toward the end of the year.

From a technical standpoint, he really had a slow windup/release.

But he was one tough, country boy who would just as soon run you over as miss his next meal.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Maybe. But It’s hard to say. Coker would have a hard time in 2014 with a very young defense and some gun slingers to keep pace with. I think many just don’t realize how great Blake Sims played that year.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

From Peter King's Monday Morning QB
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Happy Hue. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This comes from an executive with a historically reliable ear to the ground: Cleveland, with four picks in the top 35 of the draft, is still exceedingly interested in signing free-agent quarterback A.J. McCarron after the trade-deadline-day debacle last fall … and then backstopping him with a rookie quarterback in the draft. I’m hearing that’s coach Hue Jackson’s preference, having coached McCarron in Cincinnati as Bengals offensive coordinator.[/FONT]

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Maybe. But It’s hard to say. Coker would have a hard time in 2014 with a very young defense and some gun slingers to keep pace with. I think many just don’t realize how great Blake Sims played that year.
I question the coaching Coker got at Fla St under Jimbo. When it was first announced Coker would be coming to Bama I thought we were getting a lot more polished quarterback than what showed up on campus. But as we all saw, he wasn't ready to play. The following year when he got his chance he continued to get better and better as the year went on. I wonder if he would have had the coaching he got at Bama for more than two years, would he have developed to a point where he would have had a real shot at being an NFL quarterback? Because the physical tools were there.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

i heard that over the weekend somewhere as well.

but hey, there are worse things in life than getting paid $20-$30 million to keep a seat warm for someone.
No, in the perspective of life if the worst that happens to him is signing with the Browns and being paid literally millions on top of millions to lose. Hey, sign me up.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If the Browns sign AJ and then draft Barkley at #1 and Minkah at #4 they will have a chance to be competitive next year. Maybe swap another player out for Barkley at #1 but there's really not a great edge / pass rusher this year like a Garrett or Clowney. Either way, the Browns will be loaded with talent over the next several years. Not saying that will translate to wins but this is the best chance they've had in a long time to legitimately turn their franchise from a laughing stock to respectable. If I'm AJ I'd rather go to the Browns than the Jets..

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

If the Browns sign AJ and then draft Barkley at #1 and Minkah at #4 they will have a chance to be competitive next year. Maybe swap another player out for Barkley at #1 but there's really not a great edge / pass rusher this year like a Garrett or Clowney. Either way, the Browns will be loaded with talent over the next several years. Not saying that will translate to wins but this is the best chance they've had in a long time to legitimately turn their franchise from a laughing stock to respectable. If I'm AJ I'd rather go to the Browns than the Jets..
Well they already have Garrett from last year, right?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Barkley would be good for AJ but drafting a RB #1 is just dumb IMO. They should try and trade back if they aren't taking a QB IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I question the coaching Coker got at Fla St under Jimbo. When it was first announced Coker would be coming to Bama I thought we were getting a lot more polished quarterback than what showed up on campus. But as we all saw, he wasn't ready to play. The following year when he got his chance he continued to get better and better as the year went on. I wonder if he would have had the coaching he got at Bama for more than two years, would he have developed to a point where he would have had a real shot at being an NFL quarterback? Because the physical tools were there.
I think they’d knew that they wanted Winston and trickett to start. So I don’t think Coker was a priority for them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Well they already have Garrett from last year, right?
Right, but normally the #1 pick as a QB or a player that can impact the QB like a pass rushing defensive end. Can never have enough of those. If there's was an elite edge player that's who the Browns should take #1. Since there isn't the #1 pick is basically a crapshoot..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Barkley would be good for AJ but drafting a RB #1 is just dumb IMO. They should try and trade back if they aren't taking a QB IMO.
The problem is they have the #1 pick and there really isn't a traditional top pick type of player outside of the QBs - elite left tackle or edge defender - so this is one of the few years where taking the best player available might make sense. I guess it would depend on what they could get for trading back but they traded back a ton last year and don't have much to show for it. There's really no player that's worth the #1 pick unless it's a potential franchise QB so unless they're taking a QB #1 there's really no harm in taking the best player available. I'd be surprised if they took Barkley #1 though because they have the GM from the Chiefs and he found Kareem Hunt in the 3rd or 4th round so I don't think there's any way he take a RB #1. Just saying what I would do to give them the best chance to win in the near future..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Mike Mayock made the point yesterday they already have too many picks. They already have 12 picks this year (5 of which are in the first two rounds).

Financially, it's not wise to trade back.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Mike Mayock made the point yesterday they already have too many picks. They already have 12 picks this year (5 of which are in the first two rounds).

Financially, it's not wise to trade back.
That's pretty much the point I was trying to make but didn't have the numbers handy to fill in the blanks. At some point they have to start using those picks. Yes, taking a RB #1 isn't typically the best coarse of action but considering how many picks they have and the players to select from it isn't the worse thing they could do..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.