AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

Glad things worked out. He almost got traded to the Browns, but now, really at the right point in his career, he'll have a chance to choose his destination and should be prepared to make the most of it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I very happy for him. He's about to get paid a nice signing bonus and be a starter.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

This might not be a horrible time to go to the Browns. With the number of high draft picks they have for the upcoming draft they ought to be pretty loaded with fresh, young, talented guys next season. Might be fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

This might not be a horrible time to go to the Browns. With the number of high draft picks they have for the upcoming draft they ought to be pretty loaded with fresh, young, talented guys next season. Might be fun to watch.

It is still Cleveland. They have had a ton of high draft picks the last 20 years and still end up every single year picking in the top 5.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham

I'll actually admit this: I am a Cleveland Browns fan...I know sad, very sad...:)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Denver should be very interested as well. I doubt the Browns will be the only interested party for AJ.
I agree. Many teams will be interested and he is about to become a well paid man.

New England?
Only if he can't find someone who wants him as a starter. It would be good to learn a few more years, stay healthy and then take over if that was the case, but like others have said he will go where they want him to play as he should. He deserves that I think.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham

I hope the Browns take Sam Darnold at pick 1 and Minkah at pick 4. AJ would be a great starting choice for 2018.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I hope the Browns take Sam Darnold at pick 1 and Minkah at pick 4. AJ would be a great starting choice for 2018.
If Hue likes A.J. as much as they say, I would say screw Darnold (turnover machine anyways) and give A.J. someone like Calvin Ridley to have as well as Minkah at 4. That way they add 2 important offensive pieces and a top CB/S to boot.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017

Please AJ, don't sign with Cleveland. I hope no Bama players go there. They are rotten through and through....

Now, main question. Is it likely AJ just walks away from Cinnci without having to sign any sort of offer sheet, or is it likely he will have too?

IOWs, does Cinnci try hard to get something in return prior to him leaving?

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

If he could somehow end up at Jacksonville, Minnesota, or Zona, that would be fantastic for him and he has a chance to win big pretty quickly.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States

What are the possibilities that he ends up in New Orleans? I know Drew Brees is a free agent and they will most likely do whatever it takes to resign him, but with his age and if AJ would go for it they could sign both and let Drew play his final season in 2018 and AJ take over in 2019.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Katherine just went on a shopping spree

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Please AJ, don't sign with Cleveland. I hope no Bama players go there. They are rotten through and through....

Now, main question. Is it likely AJ just walks away from Cinnci without having to sign any sort of offer sheet, or is it likely he will have too?

IOWs, does Cinnci try hard to get something in return prior to him leaving?
I'm not the world's expert in the ins and outs of NFL contracts, but I was under the impression that Cincy had blown it by making him go to grievance and losing...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm not the world's expert in the ins and outs of NFL contracts, but I was under the impression that Cincy had blown it by making him go to grievance and losing...
Right. He’s unrestricted, so he’s free game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I still see AJ probably backing up somewhere for the next few years. I really think his best places to go before 2017 were Denver, Cleveland, Houston, and SF. But Houston and SF have found young capable starters, Cleveland isn’t going to pass on Baker Mayfield for AJ, and Denver might be stuck. Also add in that Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins are going to be the most sought after experienced qbs this year, so AJ might be down on the list of qbs

I think the backup to another qb on his last rodeo is the best option. I still think his best bets are NE, New Orleans,and NYG if he wants to make it a long career. Pittsburgh and LAC are options as well, but not as good as the other three because A) Pittsburgh likes to trade star players ALOT and B) LAC has a tendency to use a 1st round pick to decide a long term qb.

The Jets are probably the most likely for him if he wants to start now, but I don’t see it as that much of an upgrade from Cleveland in terms of role security.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Makes a ton of sense to do it if you get two first round picks as a result (assuming I read that right)...

They wouldn't get 2 1st round picks. AJ would just sign and they would be stuck paying him a bunch of money to be a back up for one year. It would be a huge waste in cap space.

EDIT: Just to clarify AJ would have to sign because no one would give up 2 1st round picks for him.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

There's not a lot a starting QB opportunities out there:

Denver: Likely to go after Kurt Cousins.
Houston: Watson and Savage.
Arizona: Could definitely see the Cardinals being interested.
NY Jets: Need a QB, but would they sign one or draft a QB?
Jacksonville: Despite the season, can Bortles be trusted? Probably not.
Minnesota: Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum are all FA.
Buffalo: If they decided Taylor is no longer worth keeping.
Colts: Have to include the Colts because Luck is likely done as a impact QB.

I think the two best landing spots for A.J. would be Arizona and Minnesota.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.