AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

The term franchise qb is often associated with the idea that a qb has long term protections guaranteed by the franchise. Dalton is an example. AJ played very well but had an uphill battle that overtake him as the starting qb because of the tag.
Here is a BR article outlining the parameters for being a franchise QB from 2013. Probably some overkill here but it takes in several factors including marketability. Per these parameters they came up with there are 11 franchise QB's. I don't think AJ is a top 11 QB now but he may turn into one if given the chance.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1713557-how-to-define-a-franchise-qb-in-todays-nfl

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Here is a BR article outlining the parameters for being a franchise QB from 2013. Probably some overkill here but it takes in several factors including marketability. Per these parameters they came up with there are 11 franchise QB's. I don't think AJ is a top 11 QB now but he may turn into one if given the chance.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1713557-how-to-define-a-franchise-qb-in-todays-nfl
Agreed. Currently AJ isn't a franchise qb because he hasn't played. But I think he has the tools and potential to be one if given the opportunity in the right organization.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

But I think he has the tools and potential to be one if given the opportunity in the right organization.
Maybe, but I dont think many organizations (if any) are looking at a 27 year old qb that only started a handful of games as a prospect to build a team around. If he is okay with the ' gun for hire' status then he will get alot of playing time, but other than that his best bet is have his agent try to get him to be a backup for an aging qb. The organizations that have those types of qbs are usually too high in the draft to draft a cant miss qb. Lets hypothetically say he is behind Brady next year and Brady decides to hang it up after the season. At best Kraft is looking at a 27th pick, so unless they are willing to trade up then its more than likely that they would give AJ a try the following season because those organizations build smart. I think his best bet is New Orleans.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Put in the the right system/situation McCarron is a franchise type quarterback. I watched him fill in for Dalton in the playoff games a few years ago. For him to barely have had ANY pro game experience (much less playoff game experience). I could see franchise potential written all over him. Statistically he didn't have a great game. But his poise and some of the throws and decisions he made during that game showed me he has what it takes to be a franchise QB in the NFL.
AJ helped the Bengals get the lead and looked like they were going to win that playoff game too. Then the knuckleheads on the team started being stupid and made some penalties to give the game away.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

The term franchise qb is often associated with the idea that a qb has long term protections guaranteed by the franchise. Dalton is an example. AJ played very well but had an uphill battle that overtake him as the starting qb because of the tag.
Cincinnati and their coach have long since hooked their wagon the Dalton who is a decent QB, but many fans there think AJ was a better leader and at least as good a QB. Dalton got a 100 million contract so Cincy was not going to start a guy making 500k a year no matter what he did on the field. Hue Jackson with the Browns believes McCarron could be a good QB for them, but Cleveland being Cleveland could be a dead end unless they get some talent around him. I hope AJ lands a good gig. I still think he has the chance to be a very good QB in the right situation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Maybe, but I dont think many organizations (if any) are looking at a 27 year old qb that only started a handful of games as a prospect to build a team around.
Jimmy Garoppolo disagrees.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Maybe, but I dont think many organizations (if any) are looking at a 27 year old qb that only started a handful of games as a prospect to build a team around. If he is okay with the ' gun for hire' status then he will get alot of playing time, but other than that his best bet is have his agent try to get him to be a backup for an aging qb. The organizations that have those types of qbs are usually too high in the draft to draft a cant miss qb. Lets hypothetically say he is behind Brady next year and Brady decides to hang it up after the season. At best Kraft is looking at a 27th pick, so unless they are willing to trade up then its more than likely that they would give AJ a try the following season because those organizations build smart. I think his best bet is New Orleans.
In 7 years AJ will be 34 years old. That's no longer "putting out to pasture" age for a QB in the NFL. Especially one who has as little to no wear and tear on him like AJ. If a team can get 7+ years out of a QB in today's NFL, that's worth it. I also don't think AJ's efforts to become a FA is to sign with another team for a backup role. I believe he will get offers from teams for a starter role. If not, then why not just stay in Cincinnati?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Jimmy Garoppolo disagrees.
Yeah and look who Jimmy G was playing behind and for. Everyone believes patriot qbs are gold. Think matt Cassel, Brissett, Jimmy G, and Huard. I dont see many biting on none Patriots backups with little to no playing time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I also don't think AJ's efforts to become a FA is to sign with another team for a backup role. I believe he will get offers from teams for a starter role. If not, then why not just stay in Cincinnati?
Again it all depends on Foles, Cousins, and the draft. I dont believe its as sure fire as many seem to believe that he is a starter next year. Alot is going to happen in the next few months, and AJ could just as easily be forgotten as signed as a starter when the deals and headlines start to roll in.

If not, then why not just stay in Cincinnati?
because he was never going to overtake Dalton in the next 5 years unless he got hurt again. Being behind Brees, Brady, or Manning for 1-3 years is a lot different than being behind Dalton for 4-5. You are starting to have to look at teams with qbs signed in 2004 or before.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Again it all depends on Foles, Cousins, and the draft. I dont believe its as sure fire as many seem to believe that he is a starter.

because he was never going to overtake Dalton in the next 5 years unless he got hurt again. Being behind Brees, Brady, or Manning for 1-3 years is a lot different than being behind Dalton. You are starting to have to look at teams with qbs signed in 2004 or before.
Though AJ hasn't told me (LOL!), I don't think he's looking at signing with another team to be a backup for another 1-3 years. Granted, the market will determine the choices he has to pick from. But I don't think his nor his agent's mindset is being a backup going forward.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Though AJ hasn't told me (LOL!), I don't think he's looking at signing with another team to be a backup for another 1-3 years. Granted, the market will determine the choices he has to pick from. But I don't think his nor his agent's mindset is being a backup going forward.
Nor should it be the mindset of him and his agent AT FIRST, but again on the night of April 25th would you rather accept a lucrative deal from the Saints or Patriots with guarantees of a true shot after their legend retires that has a 24 hour window attached to it or would you chance some team striking out on a qb in the draft or the Foles-Cousins sweepstakes on the late hours of the 26th picking you up.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

And so does Aaron Rodgers. That comment was off the mark IMO.
No. Actually yours is. AR was intended to be Farve’s heir apparent by early as 2007. So there is no similarities between AR and Jimmy G’s situation other than at one time they backed up a legend.

Point is the Packers intended AR to be the future. The 49ers more or less were looking for something positive and the Pats were cutting folks.

Last edited:

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017

What do you consider a "Franchise" QB? For me, there are degrees of franchise qb's. I don't think hall of famer is a prerequisite for being a franchise QB.

I don't think the standard is HOF but I would consider a franchise QB as someone who their current team is happy with and is not looking to replace(and one who has produced at a top 10 level at worst). Dalton was 17th in the NFL in yards, 26th in completion %, 10th in TDs, 22nd in YPA, 23rd in YPG. There are plenty of other stats but...you get the point. He wasn't even a top 15 QB this year IMO and frankly, if the Bengals weren't dysfunctional, they would be looking at a replacement.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

No. Actually yours is. AR was intended to be Farve’s heir apparent by early as 2007. So there is no similarities between AR and Jimmy G’s situation other than at one time they backed up a legend.

Point is the Packers intended AR to be the future. The 49ers more or less were looking for something positive and the Pats were cutting folks.
Based on your quote of "I don't think many organizations (if any) are looking at a 27 year old QB that only started a handful of games as a prospect to build a team around". Based on the criteria you reference in your quote this is not correct.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I don't think the standard is HOF but I would consider a franchise QB as someone who their current team is happy with and is not looking to replace(and one who has produced at a top 10 level at worst). Dalton was 17th in the NFL in yards, 26th in completion %, 10th in TDs, 22nd in YPA, 23rd in YPG. There are plenty of other stats but...you get the point. He wasn't even a top 15 QB this year IMO and frankly, if the Bengals weren't dysfunctional, they would be looking at a replacement.
I'm not talking about Dalton. I was talking AJ McCarron being having the potential to be a franchise QB.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Based on your quote of "I don't think many organizations (if any) are looking at a 27 year old QB that only started a handful of games as a prospect to build a team around". RTR91 and myself gave you two really good examples of where you were wrong based on what you said. Based on the criteria you reference in your quote this is not correct.
Okay name 1 team right now that is 100% looking for an experienced qb not named Foles or Cousins right now. And one that has started less than 10 games.

You have this habit of twisting my words on this subject since you want AJ to play so bad that anything that suggests there is a chance he might not play that you take words out of context.

All I said is that AJ is no ones “can’t miss” free agent list right now, and hard moves won’t probably happen until multiple factors happen such as the Foles-Cousins deal, teams reassessing their qb roster, and the draft strategies are made. He might get a starting job but there is an equal to chance that he doesn’t.

The Jimmy G thing was made because the Pats wanted to get rid of him and the 49ers wanted to try something new. It is an exception not a trend to building franchises off of 27 year olds that have less than 10 games started. Even I think you know that.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

My opinion is that he is probably a better QB than Dalton, who is good, but the head coach of the Bengals is perennially mediocre. He reminds me so much of Jeff Fisher, but then at least Jeff Fisher was a foot away from taking a Super Bowl to overtime.

Hopefully AJ winds up with a team that knows his value and gives him a real chance to succeed. Then again, I think being a career backup QB in the NFL is one of the best jobs on the planet.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017

I'm not talking about Dalton. I was talking AJ McCarron being having the potential to be a franchise QB.
I don't know how you can call him a franchise QB based on what we have seen thus far. He has shown potential to be a starter...that's about it. AJ started 5 games, 2 seasons ago and went 2-3. Jimmy G was intended to replace Brady but nobody knew he would turn out to be a cyborg. Oh..and he took a 1-10 team and won 5 straight games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.