AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

I don't know how you can call him a franchise QB based on what we have seen thus far. He has shown potential to be a starter...that's about it. AJ started 5 games, 2 seasons ago and went 2-3. Jimmy G was intended to replace Brady but nobody knew he would turn out to be a cyborg. Oh..and he took a 1-10 team and won 5 straight games.

I think he has the potential to be a franchise type quarterback if signed by the right organization. It's my opinion.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

My opinion is that he is probably a better QB than Dalton, who is good, but the head coach of the Bengals is perennially mediocre. He reminds me so much of Jeff Fisher, but then at least Jeff Fisher was a foot away from taking a Super Bowl to overtime.

Hopefully AJ winds up with a team that knows his value and gives him a real chance to succeed. Then again, I think being a career backup QB in the NFL is one of the best jobs on the planet.
Marvin Lewis only has good years when the Steelers and Ravens beat each other up or lost key players to free agency. But the problem AJ was facing vs Dalton was the 4 straight playoff appearances. I said it when AJ started that if he doesn’t reach the divisional round then he had 0% chance to keep the starting job. Even then that probably wasn’t going to be enough.

I hope he winds up in a better situation whether that be a starting role or backup than he was with the bungles

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Marvin Lewis only has good years when the Steelers and Ravens beat each other up or lost key players to free agency. But the problem AJ was facing vs Dalton was the 4 straight playoff appearances. I said it when AJ started that if he doesn’t reach the divisional round then he had 0% chance to keep the starting job. Even then that probably wasn’t going to be enough.

I hope he winds up in a better situation whether that be a starting role or backup than he was with the bungles
When has he had a good year? He's been the head coach for the Bengals for 15 years and is 0-7 in the playoffs during that time. 15 years and 0 playoff wins. The Bengals organization is a laughing stock for bringing back Lewis and a lot of other questionable actions like continually drafting and signing knucklehead players..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

When has he had a good year? He's been the head coach for the Bengals for 15 years and is 0-7 in the playoffs during that time. 15 years and 0 playoff wins. The Bengals organization is a laughing stock for bringing back Lewis and a lot of other questionable actions like continually drafting and signing knucklehead players..
I can't remember who commented regarding the Bengals not making a change (possibly Stephen A Smith on ESPN). But the comment was "As long as the stadium is being filled and ownership is putting millions of dollars of profit in their pockets. Why make a change?" Fans many times forget that a lot of these owners are business men first.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Okay name 1 team right now that is 100% looking for an experienced qb not named Foles or Cousins right now. And one that has started less than 10 games.

You have this habit of twisting my words on this subject since you want AJ to play so bad that anything that suggests there is a chance he might not play that you take words out of context.

All I said is that AJ is no ones “can’t miss” free agent list right now, and hard moves won’t probably happen until multiple factors happen such as the Foles-Cousins deal, teams reassessing their qb roster, and the draft strategies are made. He might get a starting job but there is an equal to chance that he doesn’t.

The Jimmy G thing was made because the Pats wanted to get rid of him and the 49ers wanted to try something new. It is an exception not a trend to building franchises off of 27 year olds that have less than 10 games started. Even I think you know that.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying and yes I am pro AJ, but I don't think your comment was completely accurate is all I am saying.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Yep and knucklehead players is the reason AJ doesn't have 1 playoff win under his belt.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I think he has the potential to be a franchise type quarterback if signed by the right organization. It's my opinion.
Agreed. I think most would consider Joe Flacco / Eli Manning franchise QBs and neither of them typically tear the roof off a stadium. But with a good team around them, they carried their teams to championships.

Saw an article pitching a Jags landing spot for AJ. With a defense and run game like that to support him, I think AJ could have success for many years in the league.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

I can't remember who commented regarding the Bengals not making a change (possibly Stephen A Smith on ESPN). But the comment was "As long as the stadium is being filled and ownership is putting millions of dollars of profit in their pockets. Why make a change?" Fans many times forget that a lot of these owners are business men first.
That's correct...I lived in Northern Ky for 4 1/2 years -- all they cared about was making money.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Agreed. I think most would consider Joe Flacco / Eli Manning franchise QBs and neither of them typically tear the roof off a stadium. But with a good team around them, they carried their teams to championships.

Saw an article pitching a Jags landing spot for AJ. With a defense and run game like that to support him, I think AJ could have success for many years in the league.
I think Jacksonville would be a great choice...he is tailor made for their offensive strategy.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Okay name 1 team right now that is 100% looking for an experienced qb not named Foles or Cousins right now. And one that has started less than 10 games.

You have this habit of twisting my words on this subject since you want AJ to play so bad that anything that suggests there is a chance he might not play that you take words out of context.

All I said is that AJ is no ones “can’t miss” free agent list right now, and hard moves won’t probably happen until multiple factors happen such as the Foles-Cousins deal, teams reassessing their qb roster, and the draft strategies are made. He might get a starting job but there is an equal to chance that he doesn’t.

The Jimmy G thing was made because the Pats wanted to get rid of him and the 49ers wanted to try something new. It is an exception not a trend to building franchises off of 27 year olds that have less than 10 games started. Even I think you know that.
I will never understand why you dislike AJ so much.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015

Well I love AJ and must confess I have hoped Andy Dalton would get injured every year ( horrible I know.) But I find myself objectively agreeing with 81usa here. There are some solid free agent qbs out there this year, and the teams that seem to need qb's the most, also have the highest draft picks in which to pick darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen. In other years, teams in qb need didn't always have the picks to take them.

So..AJ may end up starting next year, but for a team that drafted a qb high in the first round and will have a very short leash.

I hope he can land a starting gig next year, under any circumstance and prove his worth. But with a crappy team grooming a young top draft pick..might be hard.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and yes I am pro AJ, but I don't think your comment was completely accurate is all I am saying.
Fair enough. Agree to disagree

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

There is no way that AJ signs a deal to be a backup anywhere. He will get a chance to compete to start at the very worst.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

There is no way that AJ signs a deal to be a backup anywhere. He will get a chance to compete to start at the very worst.
I tend to agree. I tend to think someone, somewhere will want him as a starter. There are QBs starting in the league who aren't as good as he. That shouldn't happen in a perfect world, but "perfect world" doesn't describe the NFL...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I tend to agree. I tend to think someone, somewhere will want him as a starter. There are QBs starting in the league who aren't as good as he. That shouldn't happen in a perfect world, but "perfect world" doesn't describe the NFL...
Somebody did want him as the starter, the Bungles screwed it up for him. That is what this whole thing was about.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Exactly. The reality is there aren't 32 quality NFL QBs in the NFL. So, if you see someone who night be able to play even decent football you have to get them. AJ might not be given a starting job outright but he will be given an opportunity to win a job. I would be absolutely shocked if I'm wrong about that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Somebody did want him as the starter, the Bungles screwed it up for him. That is what this whole thing was about.
Yeah and now the Browns have a new GM and 2 top 5 picks in the draft (to include #1) so it’s very possible that their strategy around McCarron has changed due to the Bungles Bungle.

The thing is the Bungles played around with trading AJ for 2 years straight. Denver wanted him but they weren’t ready to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for him (nor should they). Now because they played with AJ’s career like that he is entering a year with a heavy qb draft, a very experienced qb free agency, and teams a year ago would’ve gave up their curent qb are now okay with him.

AJ will actually compete for a job this year, but the guaranteed day 1 starting jobs are not what they were last year for him. I think it goes to show you how dirty the Bungles really are top to bottom

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Exactly. The reality is there aren't 32 quality NFL QBs in the NFL. So, if you see someone who night be able to play even decent football you have to get them. AJ might not be given a starting job outright but he will be given an opportunity to win a job. I would be absolutely shocked if I'm wrong about that.
There are probably 20 teams that have a starter, 6 that know they need a starter, and 6 unsure if they have or need a starter. He will get a chance to compete.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Yeah and now the Browns have a new GM and 2 top 5 picks in the draft (to include #1) so it’s very possible that their strategy around McCarron has changed due to the Bungles Bungle.

The thing is the Bungles played around with trading AJ for 2 years straight. Denver wanted him but they weren’t ready to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for him (nor should they). Now because they played with AJ’s career like that he is entering a year with a heavy qb draft, a very experienced qb free agency, and teams a year ago would’ve gave up their curent qb are now okay with him.

AJ will actually compete for a job this year, but the guaranteed day 1 starting jobs are not what they were last year for him. I think it goes to show you how dirty the Bungles really are top to bottom
True but part of the reason the Browns want him is because Hue Jackson allegedly likes him. And he's still the coach right now. So, still seems like a distinct possibility. It also could make sense for a team like the Broncos if they lose out on Cousins. Not saying he definitely gets a clear cut starting job but it's certainly a possibility.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.