AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

There are probably 20 teams that have a starter, 6 that know they need a starter, and 6 unsure if they have or need a starter. He will get a chance to compete.
Yea. I'd agree with that

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

True but part of the reason the Browns want him is because Hue Jackson allegedly likes him. And he's still the coach right now. So, still seems like a distinct possibility. It also could make sense for a team like the Broncos if they lose out on Cousins. Not saying he definitely gets a clear cut starting job but it's certainly a possibility.
Yeah I think AZ and Denver are going all in on Cousins, and the loser will probably try to negotiate with Philadelphia for Foles before going for AJ. I think Denver has more interest about McCarron than most in the sweepstakes guys, but he isn’t their top choice. But who knows?

I think the one thing that made this bad for AJ was the Alex Smith to Washington deal. It just created a bunch of chaos, and now the teams that thought they could steal Cousins in the middle of the night ( like Jacksonville and Buffalo ) are backing down and thinking about just staying with their qb they have instead of getting into a bidding war or having to deal with a very slanted deal with Philly for Foles.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

Arizona has ZERO qbs under contract. I’d expect him to get a nice offer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Arizona has ZERO qbs under contract. I’d expect him to get a nice offer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They also have a new gm and new head coach that have hinted that their 1st pick is probably going to be the qb of the future. Several stories tend to say that they are looking at a “bridge” guy. AJ could slide in to Arizona, but again this free agency is going to be one of the craziest ever. Kirk Cousins and Sam Bradford are probably the best free agents on the market, and two that Arizona has been linked to since the end of the season. What also gets crazy is what is available for trade. Foles of course is at the top of that list, but Mcown is someone that the Pats may trade for a “seemingly” meaningless draft pick.

Arizona’s new gm and new hc makes their moves unpredictable. I think Arizona and Denver (of all the places seriously being talked about) are probably the most unlikely spots for AJ because they probably are going to get Foles or Cousins. I think the most likely if playing now is the most important to him is Cleveland and NYJ.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

They also have a new gm and new head coach that have hinted that their 1st pick is probably going to be the qb of the future. Several stories tend to say that they are looking at a “bridge” guy. AJ could slide in to Arizona, but again this free agency is going to be one of the craziest ever. Kirk Cousins and Sam Bradford are probably the best free agents on the market, and two that Arizona has been linked to since the end of the season. What also gets crazy is what is available for trade. Foles of course is at the top of that list, but Mcown is someone that the Pats may trade for a “seemingly” meaningless draft pick.

Arizona’s new gm and new hc makes their moves unpredictable. I think Arizona and Denver (of all the places seriously being talked about) are probably the most unlikely spots for AJ because they probably are going to get Foles or Cousins. I think the most likely if playing now is the most important to him is Cleveland and NYJ.
If not important at age 27, then when would it become important?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

If not important at age 27, then when would it become important?
How about 1-2 years with a loaded team with guarantees ? The point is next year and the next are going to be far better than this year for him just on the surface. If Bruce Arians was still at Arizona then I would be with most people saying if they lose on Cousins then AJ is going there, but with new leadership it’s hard to see.

Cleveland and NYJ is career suicide, but the most likely places he would start at.

In the next two years the Pats, Steelers, Chargers, Saints, and Giants are going to need a qb ASAP. Now we are just hoping that Denver or Arizona totally strikes out so he has a chance with a good team. Maybe you forget about no win Brodie Croyle.

Personally I think the best scenario right now is if the Jags get gutsy and not resign Bortles in an effort to try to lure someone to Jacksonville. But with their cap limit they are more than likely to sign Bortles and stay out of the bid war for Cousins.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

How about 1-2 years with a loaded team with guarantees ? The point is next year and the next are going to be far better than this year for him just on the surface. If Bruce Arians was still at Arizona then I would be with most people saying if they lose on Cousins then AJ is going there, but with new leadership it’s hard to see.

Cleveland and NYJ is career suicide, but the most likely places he would start at.

In the next two years the Pats, Steelers, Chargers, Saints, and Giants are going to need a qb ASAP. Now we are just hoping that Denver or Arizona totally strikes out so he has a chance with a good team. Maybe you forget about no win Brodie Croyle.

Personally I think the best scenario right now is if the Jags get gutsy and not resign Bortles in an effort to try to lure someone to Jacksonville. But with their cap limit they are more than likely to sign Bortles and stay out of the bid war for Cousins.
You never know what is going to happen to those teams though. For example Bellichick could retire and the Pats could become a mess. If I were him I would want the best chance to start now. You can't raise your stock much on the bench.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

You never know what is going to happen to those teams though. For example Bellichick could retire and the Pats could become a mess. If I were him I would want the best chance to start now. You can't raise your stock much on the bench.
True, but we all know what the Jets and Cleveland are going to do. I’m more leaning towards the Matt Flynn and Fitzpatrick type roles with these teams than the role he just left. The point is he might not have any option but to play backup or start for the Jets or Browns when the dust settles with the draft and free agency. AJ WILL get PT somewhere at some point, but does he want to be the typical Browns qb that flames out in 1 year never to be heard of again or something like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Jimmy G.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn

Just hope it's not the Browns, who by the way are very interested
U bet Bro. It IS the NFL BUT it is also Cleveland. I dont know what it would take to re-light that bunch.I have always thought that the Ravens Offense would suit AJ.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

It’s only a matter of time before the Browns win again. I know that seems crazy but players win games, so if they’d draft intelligently it would show up on their roster. Gotta take Saquon. Then Minkah IMO. Get the best QB you can in free agency. Then again, they could trade back and get even more picks.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

It’s only a matter of time before the Browns win again. I know that seems crazy but players win games, so if they’d draft intelligently it would show up on their roster. Gotta take Saquon. Then Minkah IMO. Get the best QB you can in free agency. Then again, they could trade back and get even more picks.
Yeah If this happens . Lol

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-could-make-an-enormous-offer/?sf182415833=1

But in all seriousness. The Browns just have never had any clear direction on where to go since their second coming. They really need to stop being the Oakland A’s of the NFL and start to be the Cubs. Point is stop selling good players and start trying to keep them.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Yeah If this happens . Lol

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-could-make-an-enormous-offer/?sf182415833=1

But in all seriousness. The Browns just have never had any clear direction on where to go since their second coming. They really need to stop being the Oakland A’s of the NFL and start to be the Cubs. Point is stop selling good players and start trying to keep them.
If you look at the links on the page you linked, you'll see that Mike Florio has AJ as the #4 FA QB and says he will get paid a lot and start next year. I realize it's his opinion, but as I noted in a previous post, AJ is more highly thought of by the pundits than you seem to realize. In 4 of the 5 articles I've seen, AJ is ranked from 4-7 among the FA QBs. Only Brees and Cousins are consistently ranked above him. Some of these outlets reflect to some meaningful degree, the thinking within the NFL regarding AJ. NBC/ProFootballTalk/Mike Florio are respectable, not infallible, but respectable.

As far as the Browns, it's all about leadership. Idk if the new GM can overcome the bumpkin from UT, or if he is even a good GM, but he is in a position to possibly right the ship. "The Browns are estimated to have a whopping $110 million in 2018 salary cap space, meaning they're first in the league by more than $30 million." They have the 1, 4, 33, 35, 64, 65 picks in this years draft. Just a decent GM can clean up in free agency and the draft, a good one can completely change the course of the franchise. They also have Joe Thomas and Josh Gordon. They had the #14 total D - OK. That's with little help from the O.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

If you look at the links on the page you linked, you'll see that Mike Florio has AJ as the #4 FA QB and says he will get paid a lot and start next year. I realize it's his opinion, but as I noted in a previous post, AJ is more highly thought of by the pundits than you seem to realize. In 4 of the 5 articles I've seen, AJ is ranked from 4-7 among the FA QBs. Only Brees and Cousins are consistently ranked above him. Some of these outlets reflect to some meaningful degree, the thinking within the NFL regarding AJ. NBC/ProFootballTalk/Mike Florio are respectable, not infallible, but respectable.

As far as the Browns, it's all about leadership. Idk if the new GM can overcome the bumpkin from UT, or if he is even a good GM, but he is in a position to possibly right the ship. "The Browns are estimated to have a whopping $110 million in 2018 salary cap space, meaning they're first in the league by more than $30 million." They have the 1, 4, 33, 35, 64, 65 picks in this years draft. Just a decent GM can clean up in free agency and the draft, a good one can completely change the course of the franchise. They also have Joe Thomas and Josh Gordon. They had the #14 total D - OK. That's with little help from the O.
I did say AJ was probably the 4th ranked FA earlier, and have said consistently that he will get a shot to compete but probably won’t have a guaranteed starting role outside of NYJ and Cleveland. I honestly don’t know why you don’t think I think AJ isn’t respected amongst NFL leadership. There are 3 qbs (4 if Brees comes out) that everyone is going to fight over before they get to AJ and that’s not putting him down that’s just the fact of the offseason. I’m sure he will play at some point in 2018 regardless.

As for the Browns, while Belichick wasn’t great with them at least there was somewhat of a direction upwards for them. But other than that 2002 season they haven’t been much of anything.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'll believe the Browns will turn it around when I see it. You are absolutely right about the amount of resources they have. They SHOULD be able to at least become a mediocre team and not be the worst in football. But again, I'll believe it when I see it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I'll believe the Browns will turn it around when I see it. You are absolutely right about the amount of resources they have. They SHOULD be able to at least become a mediocre team and not be the worst in football. But again, I'll believe it when I see it.
As much as they get high 1st round picks you would expect them to have a starter at qb for more than 1.5 years and would be close to what the Lions are at the very least.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I just don't follow. This is the year AJ has won his freedom. How can he now wait 1-2 years (when he'll be 29)? You must know something I don't...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

ESPN's Field Yates mentioned AJ as a possibility for Arizona this morning because the Cardinals only have $12.7 million in cap space, which means they probably can't afford Cousins. He said after Cousins is signed, AJ is one many teams would consider.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I just don't follow. This lis the year AJ has won his freedom. How can he now wait 1-2 years (when he'll be 29)? You must know something I don't...
AJ isn’t the typical 27 year old qb. He hasn’t taken that many hits so he doesn’t have the mileage. But the problems this year is 1) all the other qbs looking for new employment and 2) AJ hasn’t even been in a half of season of games. He will play in the next 2 years somewhere, but where he plays is going to determine HOW MUCH LONGER he is going to play. If he just wants to play then Cleveland and NYJ will probably take him, play him, kill his confidence, and dump him like they do with 90% of their qbs. You might say “ But you keep bringing up Fitzpatrick and he played for the Jets”. But Fitzpatrick was already a proven and capable qb by that time.

Also consider that many organizations pick up these types of qbs for insurance for 1 half of the season and trade them for draft picks to desperate teams at the deadline at the deadline. The Bungles just were being donkeys about it.

My point is if he wants to play “immediately” meaning at DAY 1, then right now there is probably 2 teams at where he can do that and both are career killers, but no one knows for sure until the dust settles. But if he just wants to play SOON then there are probably about 12 teams in total that will give him a shot to compete and are all better organizations than the Bungles and would trade him for something reasonable to a team that really wants him in the middle of season. I think you are interpreting my usuage of backup as being a career backup, but that isn’t what I’m meaning.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

AJ shouldn't have went in the 5th round. Pure and simple. His biggest problem in my amateur scouting estimation was his tendency on occasion to sail balls high on the middle of the field throws. That is a fixable problem and it only cropped up on occasion not universally. The brunt of his draft stock crash had to do with attitude and game manager reputation. I think he has a pro arm. A great understanding of the pro-style offensive approach. I have no clue how he fell to the bottom third of the draft mostly over attitude issues and "system QB" reputation when guys like Manziel didn't even fall to the second day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.