AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

AJ shouldn't have went in the 5th round. Pure and simple. His biggest problem in my amateur scouting estimation was his tendency on occasion to sail balls high on the middle of the field throws. That is a fixable problem and it only cropped up on occasion not universally. The brunt of his draft stock crash had to do with attitude and game manager reputation. I think he has a pro arm. A great understanding of the pro-style offensive approach. I have no clue how he fell to the bottom third of the draft mostly over attitude issues and "system QB" reputation when guys like Manziel didn't even fall to the second day.
He was in a weak qb draft ( like Brady was in 2000) ,and where everyone was going after defensive players or offensive linemen. Also take into account Jimmy G really won the Patriots over by participating in the senior bowl while AJ did not. Heard he was hurt or his agent told him to skip, but it is quite possible that he would’ve been a Patriot than a Bengal had he gone. But who knows

I think he should’ve been 3rd or 4th round, and at the time you could make a strong case for everyone that went 1st and 2nd round above him but once you got to Logan Thomas it just got silly.

1st

Bortles
Johnny
Terry Bridgewater

2nd

Carr
Jimmy G (AJ’s replacement in the senior bowl)

4th

Logan Thomas
Tom Savage

5th

Aaron Murray
AJ

FWIW mettenberger went 6th round

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

AJ isn’t the typical 27 year old qb. He hasn’t taken that many hits so he doesn’t have the mileage. But the problems this year is 1) all the other qbs looking for new employment and 2) AJ hasn’t even been in a half of season of games. He will play in the next 2 years somewhere, but where he plays is going to determine HOW MUCH LONGER he is going to play. If he just wants to play then Cleveland and NYJ will probably take him, play him, kill his confidence, and dump him like they do with 90% of their qbs. You might say “ But you keep bringing up Fitzpatrick and he played for the Jets”. But Fitzpatrick was already a proven and capable qb by that time.

Also consider that many organizations pick up these types of qbs for insurance for 1 half of the season and trade them for draft picks to desperate teams at the deadline at the deadline. The Bungles just were being donkeys about it.

My point is if he wants to play “immediately” meaning at DAY 1, then right now there is probably 2 teams at where he can do that and both are career killers, but no one knows for sure until the dust settles. But if he just wants to play SOON then there are probably about 12 teams in total that will give him a shot to compete and are all better organizations than the Bungles and would trade him for something reasonable to a team that really wants him in the middle of season. I think you are interpreting my usuage of backup as being a career backup, but that isn’t what I’m meaning.
I can see I'm not making myself understood and I haven't mentioned Fitzgerald at all. What I'm saying is that he won his free agency this year, not in one or two years. He has to take whatever the situation is now and do the best. He doesn't have the luxury of waiting a year or two. Are you really suggesting that he apply for backup QB jobs and not even try to start?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

81usa,

I'm little confused by your previous statements. I personally think that it doesn't matter where he starts... it's what he do with the situation. HE can sign with Browns and they go 7-7 next year... that's a huge win going from no wins this year to 7-7. He has to do what's best for himself... Money isn't the issue, but he wants to play. He already paid his due as a back up Qb... and he shouldn't be continuing to do that going forward. HE earned a chance to be a starting qb. Look at Jimmy at 49ers....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I can see I'm not making myself understood and I haven't mentioned Fitzgerald at all. What I'm saying is that he won his free agency this year, not in one or two years. He has to take whatever the situation is now and do the best. He doesn't have the luxury of waiting a year or two. Are you really suggesting that he apply for backup QB jobs and not even try to start?
Good lord no. I’m saying that he WILL COMPETE wherever he goes but the only for sure jobs (right now) where he will start day one is NYJ (if they stay out of the Cousins deal) and Cleveland. There are better organizations that he could win the job but is not guaranteed right away than both of those jobs.

I think the merc for hire role may be his best avenue for a long career starting. That’s why i mention Fitzpatrick and Flynn because they never stay in the same place too long but get ( got in Flynn’s case) lots of starts as a fill in.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

81usa,

I'm little confused by your previous statements. I personally think that it doesn't matter where he starts... it's what he do with the situation. HE can sign with Browns and they go 7-7 next year... that's a huge win going from no wins this year to 7-7. He has to do what's best for himself... Money isn't the issue, but he wants to play. He already paid his due as a back up Qb... and he shouldn't be continuing to do that going forward. HE earned a chance to be a starting qb. Look at Jimmy at 49ers....
Again Jimmy G is another in the long list of Brady backups that people thought his greatness would rub off on. Look and you would see 3 Brady backups started at teams last year. Point is being behind Brady or being owned by the Patriots usually translates to being a starter. So comparing Jimmy to AJ isn’t the same thing mostly because Jimmy was never a FA and Jimmy is looked at as Patriots gold.

The Browns went 0-16. They would be lucky to win 4 games by week 10 next year regardless of who is at qb.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Thought the Skins traded Cousins to the Chiefs??
No. The Chiefs traded Smith to the Redskins. The Redskins dropped Cousins.

Basically the Chiefs are moving forward with their 1st round draft pick and traded Smith.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

AJ shouldn't have went in the 5th round. Pure and simple. His biggest problem in my amateur scouting estimation was his tendency on occasion to sail balls high on the middle of the field throws. That is a fixable problem and it only cropped up on occasion not universally. The brunt of his draft stock crash had to do with attitude and game manager reputation. I think he has a pro arm. A great understanding of the pro-style offensive approach. I have no clue how he fell to the bottom third of the draft mostly over attitude issues and "system QB" reputation when guys like Manziel didn't even fall to the second day.
Agreed. I think he also got knocked because he was on such great Bama teams. If you notice it seems Coach trusted A.J. with anything on offense which he has rarely done with any of our QB's.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't know the league like some of you...especially salary caps, etc.

I'd love to see AJ get his chance next year, but because he's a true drop back, go thru progressions style qb he will need to play around a solid OL and good running game. From what I can tell, Jacksonville sounds like the right fit.

If I had to pick a couple of places, I'd love to see him in Denver or New England. Tom Brady looked old and slow in the championship game. Can't imagine him making it past another year or two at most but if I'm AJ I don't want to wait on the GOAT to retire and then get compared to him.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I'd love to see AJ get his chance next year, but because he's a true drop back, go thru progressions style qb he will need to play around a solid OL and good running game. From what I can tell, Jacksonville sounds like the right fit.

If I had to pick a couple of places, I'd love to see him in Denver or New England. Tom Brady looked old and slow in the championship game. Can't imagine him making it past another year or two at most but if I'm AJ I don't want to wait on the GOAT to retire and then get compared to him.
He threw for 500 yards, 3 touchdowns and had a passer rating of 115.4. He only looked slow when running a play that should never have been called for him in the first place.
I do NOT love the Patriots but I keep hearing people criticizing Brady's performance in the SB and when I look at the stats and think back on the game, he did everything he was supposed to to win it.
His time is coming soon, but if he keeps laying down comparable numbers, it may not be when you think. Now is the age of the athlete far out gaining what should be their physical limit - and we don't know where the new ceiling is. Conventional wisdom says he should collapse any minute now. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on Tom Brady to become bad. The only reason Peyton Manning deteriorated so quickly was the horrific neck injury he sustained just a few years earlier. Brady doesn't have anything like that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

He threw for 500 yards, 3 touchdowns and had a passer rating of 115.4. He only looked slow when running a play that should never have been called for him in the first place.
I do NOT love the Patriots but I keep hearing people criticizing Brady's performance in the SB and when I look at the stats and think back on the game, he did everything he was supposed to to win it.
His time is coming soon, but if he keeps laying down comparable numbers, it may not be when you think. Now is the age of the athlete far out gaining what should be their physical limit - and we don't know where the new ceiling is. Conventional wisdom says he should collapse any minute now. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on Tom Brady to become bad. The only reason Peyton Manning deteriorated so quickly was the horrific neck injury he sustained just a few years earlier. Brady doesn't have anything like that.
He did quite well looking old and slow. I get it.

It's straight up speculation, but if he plays another two or three years I think he'll have a major injury.

Long as the pockets clean, he'll be ok, but when the Eagles turned up the rush he looked very average.

But, that wasn't my point, as much as to say I'd love to see AJ with a team built like the Pats.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Brady broke just about every SB record as a qb in the SB and won the NFL MVP. Father time will eventually beat him but last year he looked great enough to realistically do this for another 3-4 years if he wants to.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

He did quite well looking old and slow. I get it.

It's straight up speculation, but if he plays another two or three years I think he'll have a major injury.

Long as the pockets clean, he'll be ok, but when the Eagles turned up the rush he looked very average.

But, that wasn't my point, as much as to say I'd love to see AJ with a team built like the Pats.
Dude 500 yards, no punts, no ints against an elite defense is not average for a 40 year old.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Dude 500 yards, no punts, no ints against an elite defense is not average for a 40 year old.
Not to mention he lost one of the three WRs on the roster in the first quarter.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I think he's the goat (based on results). I know he's never had "wheels" but all I'm saying is he looked even slower to react at times.

OK, back to AJ...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Whoever does decide to get Cousins is going to have to dang near break the bank. Then hope and pray his actual play is as of a sure thing as the amount of money they will have to pay him says he is. I have no doubt there will be teams in the market for a QB who are not willing to pay that type money for someone, who to be honest, may turn out to be the right handed version of Scott Mitchell. Cousins can look like a franchise quarterback one minute then lay some serious eggs the next. I had him on my fantasy team a few times over the last several years and he's very up and down. When you're paying the type money a team is going to have to pay him, consistently being up and down isn't what you want.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Whoever does decide to get Cousins is going to have to dang near break the bank. Then hope and pray his actual play is as of a sure thing as the amount of money they will have to pay him says he is. I have no doubt there will be teams in the market for a QB who are not willing to pay that type money for someone, who to be honest, may turn out to be the right handed version of Scott Mitchell. Cousins can look like a franchise quarterback one minute then lay some serious eggs the next. I had him on my fantasy team a few times over the last several years and he's very up and down. When you're paying the type money a team is going to have to pay him, consistently being up and down isn't what you want.
Whoever lands Cousins is almost assuredly going to be over paying him. As a Redskins fan I have watched him really closely since he was drafted and he is one of the most infuriating QBs in the league. Like you said, he has flashes of play (sometimes extending the length of a few game) where he looks like a top 5-10 QB. But then he throws the dumbest INT in history or other such gaffs. He also has a knack for taking the easy throw at times. He is a very good QB (likely top 15) and can play above that level but he often needs things to be closer to perfect to succeed.

The question is will the team that signs him(even if they are over paying) win enough games for it to have been worth it. If he goes to a team like the Jets or Browns it will have been a waste but if he goes to a team like the Vikings, Jags, or Denver he is probably good enough to win a lot of games and maybe a SB if the team around him is good enough.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Whoever lands Cousins is almost assuredly going to be over paying him. As a Redskins fan I have watched him really closely since he was drafted and he is one of the most infuriating QBs in the league. Like you said, he has flashes of play (sometimes extending the length of a few game) where he looks like a top 5-10 QB. But then he throws the dumbest INT in history or other such gaffs. He also has a knack for taking the easy throw at times. He is a very good QB (likely top 15) and can play above that level but he often needs things to be closer to perfect to succeed.

The question is will the team that signs him(even if they are over paying) win enough games for it to have been worth it. If he goes to a team like the Jets or Browns it will have been a waste but if he goes to a team like the Vikings, Jags, or Denver he is probably good enough to win a lot of games and maybe a SB if the team around him is good enough.
I'm not a Redskin fan but seeing that I had him on my fantasy roster a few times the past couple of years. I would follow the Redskins games a lot and he would make me want to jump through the tv and punch his lights out. It was infuriating to watch at times to be honest. He laid some serious eggs in games where if he would have simply performed average I would have won my fantasy game that week.

But regarding the real football aspect of it. I agree that it would not be worth a team like the Browns or the Jets to sign him. He's not the type of quarterback that can transform a franchise. They would be better served signing McCarron and using the extra money to pick up some key FA's.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.