AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

Vikings are not putting the franchise tag on Case Keenum, which means another guy in the free agency mix to compete with AJ.
That depends on if they want to keep Bradford. If they are then its the same as yesterday in that there are 2 big time starters ahead of AJ

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

GMac being GMac, not being very supportive of AJ as he tries to land a starting gig in the NFL.

“I have to ask the question, ‘What’s the difference between AJ, Brock Osweiler, Mike Glennon?'” McElroy told 92.3 The Fan. “I have my questions there. And we’ve seen backups get big money, and it just hasn’t come to fruition. So it’s not to say he can’t be different. I don’t have the proof to think otherwise.
“I hope AJ gets paid a ton of money, and I hope he gets a chance to start. But if I’m a GM, I have my concerns and my doubts.”
https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/aj-mccarron-greg-mcelroy-nfl-free-agency-concerns-doubts

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

GMac being GMac, not being very supportive of AJ as he tries to land a starting gig in the NFL.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/aj-mccarron-greg-mcelroy-nfl-free-agency-concerns-doubts
You know for someone who couldn't even stay in the league as a backup. He sure throws out a critique like his name and jersey # is in the ring of honor of some NFL stadium. I think in this case he should have just deferred to someone else for this type of opinion.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

You know for someone who couldn't even stay in the league as a backup. He sure throws out a critique like his name and jersey # is in the ring of honor of some NFL stadium. I think in this case he should have just deferred to someone else for this type of opinion.
He just annoys the heck out of me. Be supportive of your friends and program or shut the heck up.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

He just annoys the heck out of me. Be supportive of your friends and program or shut the heck up.
No kidding. No one is saying be a homer. But when given the choice of being highly critical or taking a pass on being critical of a former teammate. You'd think he would choose the latter. Obviously that isn't the case.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

OK, GMac finally broke me. I have defended him over his comments before but I just can’t anymore. I always thought he was just trying to not look like a homer, but this is obviously something else. He is starting to get into Danny Kannell- esque territory.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Corey McCarron called Greg out for his comments...

https://twitter.com/abc/status/969412977102385152

Rightfully so. I'm not sure what Greg's M.O. is but it's gotten progressively worse. I get the just getting a gig at ESPN and not wanting to come across as a homer. But his harsh critique's about Alabama and now players who attended Alabama goes beyond just trying not to be a homer.

He's probably on the verge (if not there already) of not being welcomed back to Tuscaloosa.

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I really don't see anything that wrong with what he said. Could he have been more positive? Sure. But it's not a big deal. I guess it would be to the guy who is trying to get a contract, but don't see why it would be to any of us.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

OK, GMac finally broke me. I have defended him over his comments before but I just can’t anymore. I always thought he was just trying to not look like a homer, but this is obviously something else. He is starting to get into Danny Kannell- esque territory.
Ive kind of developed this opinion of Greg for a while. It's not easy to have this view of one of your former teams QBs but in Greg's case, he's made it difficult not too at times. But, I'll always appreciate his contributions at the Capstone

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I really don't see anything that wrong with what he said. Could he have been more positive? Sure. But it's not a big deal. I guess it would be to the guy who is trying to get a contract, but don't see why it would be to any of us.
He is supposed to be family. This is not something one would say publicly about a member of their family. So maybe what bothers folks (including me) is that GMac has made it clear that he is no longer a part of the Alabama family. He is putting his career ahead of those relationships. Certainly his decision to make, but very disappointing.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

TBH, I think part of it is that GMac just doesn't know how to talk about Bama/former Bama players. He sounds less fluid or something when he hast to talk about anything related to the team. Hopefully, he will figure it out and find a better middle ground at some point. I tend to think he does a decent job when he is discussing other teams/players though.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

He is supposed to be family. This is not something one would say publicly about a member of their family. So maybe what bothers folks (including me) is that GMac has made it clear that he is no longer a part of the Alabama family. He is putting his career ahead of those relationships. Certainly his decision to make, but very disappointing.
I've always had the feeling that GMac and AJ don't really like each other. They seem like pretty different personalities with different leadership styles.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I've always had the feeling that GMac and AJ don't really like each other. They seem like pretty different personalities with different leadership styles.
That could be factor. AJ was very frustrated that he was not given a chance to start in 2010. I am sure that GMac didn't receive that well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well if that is the case then let’s be sure to fair when we get all ruffled up when family puts down by family....

2014 AJ on lack of leadership on the “2014” Alabama offense the week after the Ole Miss loss.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl.../2014/10/nick_saban_responds_to_aj_mcca_1.amp

Ultimately I believe that neither comments are really good to say, and it was probably in boths interest not to say anything, but at least you can justify GMAC saying it because that is his job as a football analyst.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.