AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
If he plays well enough and Allen gets the nod in spite of his play, he will at least guarantee himself a much longer NFL career. I know that he wants to start, but there is nothing wrong with getting paid millions of dollars each year to carry a clipboard.

I am pulling for AJ. I just feel that the deck is stacked against him with respect his chances of holding onto the starting job in Buffalo. But that doesn't mean that he won't continue to get paid very well.
In response to the bolded part, I know we've gone over this ad nauseam on this board, and I fundamentally agree with you. But, when discussing Mcarron specifically, it has to be mentioned that he does find something intrinsically wrong with it. He honestly might be THE most competitive player that Alabama has ever had. He certainly has to be in the top 5. The guy wants to compete. He wants to play and he wants to win. Holding a clipboard, to him, is a slap in the face. To nearly all of us we would be eternally thankful to hold that clipboard and nab a paycheck each week. Get to travel the U.S. and toss a football around AND be a millionaire - all without debilitating injures to greet us at the end of our career? Yes please.

But McCarron is a different breed. I don't know if he has all the physical tools to excel in the pros but he's so stinkin scrappy and competitive that it somewhat levels the playing field. If Case Keenum can get a starting deal like he did I certainly think it's within the realm of possibility for McCarron in the right scheme with the right supporting cast.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In response to the bolded part, I know we've gone over this ad nauseam on this board, and I fundamentally agree with you. But, when discussing Mcarron specifically, it has to be mentioned that he does find something intrinsically wrong with it. He honestly might be THE most competitive player that Alabama has ever had. He certainly has to be in the top 5. The guy wants to compete. He wants to play and he wants to win. Holding a clipboard, to him, is a slap in the face. To nearly all of us we would be eternally thankful to hold that clipboard and nab a paycheck each week. Get to travel the U.S. and toss a football around AND be a millionaire - all without debilitating injures to greet us at the end of our career? Yes please.

But McCarron is a different breed. I don't know if he has all the physical tools to excel in the pros but he's so stinkin scrappy and competitive that it somewhat levels the playing field. If Case Keenum can get a starting deal like he did I certainly think it's within the realm of possibility for McCarron in the right scheme with the right supporting cast.
good thing saban only slapped him on the arse while he was here then ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well AJ should base his career around Keenum, Flynn, and Fitzpatrick type path. It’s probably his best chance of having a great career

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Given the scenario in Buffalo, where they moved up quite a bit to get a QB in the first round. I think for AJ to keep the kid on the bench, playing "good enough to win" isn't going to be enough. AJ is going to have to make it obvious that he is the big reason as to why they are winning. Granted, AJ got what he wanted and that's an opportunity to start. But unfortunately the situation he ended up in, he doesn't have much room for error or perceived mediocrity before they pull the plug on him and give the youngster the keys.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree with most of you that AJ would have to play really well to keep the job. The only scenario where that might not be the case is if Allen is just really really bad.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Given the scenario in Buffalo, where they moved up quite a bit to get a QB in the first round. I think for AJ to keep the kid on the bench, playing "good enough to win" isn't going to be enough. AJ is going to have to make it obvious that he is the big reason as to why they are winning. Granted, AJ got what he wanted and that's an opportunity to start. But unfortunately the situation he ended up in, he doesn't have much room for error or perceived mediocrity before they pull the plug on him and give the youngster the keys.
I think that the Bills have to make the playoffs for AJ to keep Allen on the bench. A playoff run puts the decision off for a year or two. But anything short of being in a legit playoff race (that the Bills will not want to disrupt with a QB change) will result in a QB change.

AJ needs to do more than play well - he has to hope that the Bills win. Otherwise the pressure to prove that their draft pick wasn't wasted will mount. Because, win or lose, Bills fans will be patient with Allen at QB. They will give him time to develop. But they will not be patient with AJ at QB with Allen on the bench.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ill say AJ ( presuming he beats petterman) will be the starter until atleast October 29th. I just don't think they are going to let Allen to get shaken by trying to keep up with Brady and Rodgers (week4) , and the season might be salvageable at that time. When the season starts to look over after that game I think Allen will start to get PT

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I think that the Bills have to make the playoffs for AJ to keep Allen on the bench. A playoff run puts the decision off for a year or two. But anything short of being in a legit playoff race (that the Bills will not want to disrupt with a QB change) will result in a QB change.

AJ needs to do more than play well - he has to hope that the Bills win. Otherwise the pressure to prove that their draft pick wasn't wasted will mount. Because, win or lose, Bills fans will be patient with Allen at QB. They will give him time to develop. But they will not be patient with AJ at QB with Allen on the bench.
Regardless of the outcome AJ will gain some additional experience as a starter and possibly catch another teams eye to start or continue to be a valuable number two. It doesn't really look promising at Buffalo with their draft pick setting on the bench. Given the recent history at Buffalo and the nature of Allen's college experience my pessimistic nature believes it would be reasonable to expect to see the coaching and QB turnover to continue into the future at Buffalo.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I think BOTH need to happen. The Bills could realistically still win and make the playoffs but AJ's play is good enough to get the win but not good enough to separate from the rest of the team's performance. Putting him in a situation where management could look at the situation and say "Look what we did with AJ at quarterback. Just think what we could do if we had someone better." He could basically get the "Trent Dilfer" tag put on him. I think AJ's performance is going to have to be well above average qb play.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think BOTH need to happen. The Bills could realistically still win and make the playoffs but AJ's play is good enough to get the win but not good enough to separate from the rest of the team's performance. Putting him in a situation where management could look at the situation and say "Look what we did with AJ at quarterback. Just think what we could do if we had someone better." He could basically get the "Trent Dilfer" tag put on him. I think AJ's performance is going to have to be well above average qb play.
He is basically going to have to be 8-2 thru the first 10 games with wins over the Patriots and possibly the Packers to be the guy for a few years at Buffalo

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.