AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent

That is great news for AJ. The Bengals is not a very good franchise and it is now time for AJ to shine. Now lets get Dre out of Cincy.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think It'll be Denver, Brown, Arizona, Jets, Bills, etc. I'm happy for him. He deserved that.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham

AJ is going to be a very good NFL starter for one of the remaining 31 NFL teams.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Glad he won..............he wasn't ever going to get the chance with the Bengals, and maybe someone besides the Browns will get him

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Good for him. I assume he will get interest from Browns the Broncos at least and wouldn't be surprised if the Bills, Jets, Giants, Cardinals, Vikings, and Jaguars give him some level of interest.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

I think AJ can be a really good starter in the NFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Few things to point out... Bengals can still claim him through Several options:

Non-exclusive franchise tag: This is the most commonly used tag. When most people refer to the "franchise tag" it's generally the non-exclusive version to which they are discussing. It is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round picks as compensation.Exclusive franchise tag: A one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the current year, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player's team has all negotiating rights to the player. The bump in pay scale (current average salary versus averaging past five years of data) means only the crème de la crème get this tag (think: Drew Brees or Von Miller).
Transition tag: Think of this as the "you are pretty good, and we might want to keep you, but aren't willing to put a ring on you ourselves" tag. The transition designation is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position -- as opposed to top five. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another team, but no compensation if the team chooses not to match.
Each team can only use one of the above tags in a given year -- meaning they can't designate both a franchise and transition player. A player can be tagged up to three times by his team, with a bump in pay each time.

Teams can rescind the franchise or transition tag -- as we saw with Josh Norman last year -- if the offer sheet hasn't been signed. Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season. A rescinded tag counts as a tag, meaning a team can't designate one player, rescind it and use a new tag on another player in the same year.
The current franchise numbers aren't available until the NFL's salary cap opens, but below is a rundown of the 2016 franchise tag salaries to use as a baseline (assume these numbers will get bumped up). Via the NFLPA:
Quarterback: $19.953 million

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Few things to point out... Bengals can still claim him through Several options:
Going off 2017-2018 salaries, AJ would make over $25 million if they put the franchise tag on him. Andy Dalton's salary last season was $16 million. They aren't going to pay AJ $9 million more to be a backup.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

That is great news! Good for AJ. I sure hope he goes somewhere other than the Browns. However, I know that he wants to go somewhere that he can finally start.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

This dramatically changes the free agent market and is likely to change the dynamics for those rookie QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.