AJ McCarron Wins Grievance Against Bengals and Will Become Free Agent (Signs with Buffalo)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As Frog Millhouse (Gene Autrey's Comic sidekick) often had to do. I will eat my hat if Darnold and Mayfield ever lead a team to a playoff win. I would be looking for a QB the size and arm talent of Newton and Wentz or invest my money in the other talent a team requires to win in the NFL. It is a fools bet to attempt identify the next Drew Brees and pay them $20 Mil before they take a snap. Ow well! That is why Cleveland and Buffalo are where they are today.

If we look at Blake Bortles, as an example, the Jags have built a tremendous team around him but he lacks the ability to get them over the top.
What are you talking about? Mayfield has a pretty big arm and is very accurate, and so is Rosen.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Julio was a can't miss. Not a hard choice to make and one anyone would make. Heck if my team didn't need a receiver I would have took him. Id have loved to see him with the pats.
He wasn’t the best receiver on the draft board that year. Atlanta also had a pretty good #1 receiver on the team that year. His at the time could they justify giving up all those draft picks for him? They couldn’t is the answer. They just believed that he wouldn’t be a flop, and it paid off.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
What are you talking about? Mayfield has a pretty big arm and is very accurate, and so is Rosen.
I didn't say anything about Rosen who has special throwing talent. I watched Mayfield and Darnold in their pro day. All I am saying is I would not spend $20 mil. on them if I had a team with many other needs. You are free to disagree. Alas neither of us own an NFL team.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't say anything about Rosen who has special throwing talent. I watched Mayfield and Darnold in their pro day. All I am saying is I would not spend $20 mil. on them if I had a team with many other needs. You are free to disagree. Alas neither of us own an NFL team.
Sometimes GMs will go a little crazy when it comes to QBs, see qualities which aren't really there. I won't even name the examples...

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
He wasn’t the best receiver on the draft board that year. Atlanta also had a pretty good #1 receiver on the team that year. His at the time could they justify giving up all those draft picks for him? They couldn’t is the answer. They just believed that he wouldn’t be a flop, and it paid off.
Maybe in someone's opinion he wasn't the best but anyone with any sense knew he was a game changer. And yes they could and have justified the draft picks. Julio was never going to be a flop. He was a top notch receiver at the top of the draft. His measurables were off the chart.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
AJ McCarron 6'3" 220 won two NC selected 5th round.
Similar to....
Joe Montana 6'2" 203 won one NC selected 3rd round.
What’s your point? They have little in common aside from their physical stature.

And using that actually proves my point about taking a leap of faith on qbs because if you look at Montana’s stats at ND then you would be saying “ how the heck was he drafted?” But the point is Bill Walsh started him right away and knew he wanted Montana. AJ has had no such luck in that regard. Walsh was starting to making the NFL a passing game, but right now it has been a passing game for some time. I’m sure if Walsh was given the choice between Montana and Young in their prime in 1979 he chooses Young 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

If you want to make any close connection to a nfl great to AJ then why aren’t you using Brady? 6th round pick 199. But then you would have to admit a shot of luck for him to start over the legacy qb was needed. Which AJ did have happen, but the only difference is that AJ was unlucky with a fumble in the playoffs while Brady was lucky. But both were average qbs in their draft class, and were looked at in the same light in terms of future prospects going forward. Brady just had the fortunate bounces to secure his place with an organization while AJ to this point hasn’t.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Maybe in someone's opinion he wasn't the best but anyone with any sense knew he was a game changer. And yes they could and have justified the draft picks. Julio was never going to be a flop. He was a top notch receiver at the top of the draft. His measurables were off the chart.
What if he got hurt? What if he decided to prolong signing? What if there was change at the top of the organization? What if Roddy White and him had animosity that affected the team? What if his skills don’t transfer well to the NFL?

None of those questions can be answered at the time of the draft so it’s still a high risk move regardless of what we know now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Lol just revisited the 2011 draft with Julio and that was a stocked draft. Look how many players are all pros in the first early round. And somehow the Vikings picked Christian Ponder lol
Ponder had pretty good numbers his 3rd and 4th year at FSU and was the 4th selected qb in the draft. The Vikes needed a qb that could limit interceptions that could hand the ball off to AP. It looked to have paid off in 2012, but Ponder was never the same after that injury late in the year. But unless you had a crystal ball and knew Tyrod had this unexpected potential then I would say Minnesota probably made the best choice to suit their needs at the time.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
What’s your point? They have little in common aside from their physical stature.

And using that actually proves my point about taking a leap of faith on qbs because if you look at Montana’s stats at ND then you would be saying “ how the heck was he drafted?” But the point is Bill Walsh started him right away and knew he wanted Montana. AJ has had no such luck in that regard. Walsh was starting to making the NFL a passing game, but right now it has been a passing game for some time. I’m sure if Walsh was given the choice between Montana and Young in their prime in 1979 he chooses Young 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

If you want to make any close connection to a nfl great to AJ then why aren’t you using Brady? 6th round pick 199. But then you would have to admit a shot of luck for him to start over the legacy qb was needed. Which AJ did have happen, but the only difference is that AJ was unlucky with a fumble in the playoffs while Brady was lucky. But both were average qbs in their draft class, and were looked at in the same light in terms of future prospects going forward. Brady just had the fortunate bounces to secure his place with an organization while AJ to this point hasn’t.
Wasn't using this for any point to make about this discussion. Was trying to actually bring it back to AJ. I like Joe Montana and it was interesting to see that he and AJs were a lot alike.

Also quit putting what ifs in your arguments it ridiculous. What ifs can happen to anyone drafted. We aren't talking about what ifs.

3rdly Ponder was awful and should have never been drafted in the first round. You are just going off the wall now to support your opinion.

I personally don't think any qb in this draft is worth the 5 or so picks that is now necessary for the bills to move up. I think one will fall to them and that one will be just as good as the one drafted first by Cleveland. I also think AJ is good enough to be a starter in the NFL. He can make all the throws and he isn't scared to throw it deep.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wasn't using this for any point to make about this discussion. Was trying to actually bring it back to AJ. I like Joe Montana and it was interesting to see that he and AJs were a lot alike.

Also quit putting what ifs in your arguments it ridiculous. What ifs can happen to anyone drafted. We aren't talking about what ifs.

3rdly Ponder was awful and should have never been drafted in the first round. You are just going off the wall now to support your opinion.

I personally don't think any qb in this draft is worth the 5 or so picks that is now necessary for the bills to move up. I think one will fall to them and that one will be just as good as the one drafted first by Cleveland. I also think AJ is good enough to be a starter in the NFL. He can make all the throws and he isn't scared to throw it deep.
1) If you weren’t trying to make a point then why did you say “ AJ blah blah blah SIMILAR to Joe Montana blah blah”. It’s a rather specific comparison when you are comparing “ physical stature” and “draft order”. I guarantee you I can find and post a bust for a qb in the nfl draft with the same physical stature ( like leaf and Harrington) and everyone and their mother on here will flip crap over it whether I meant it or not. So it comes across as you proving a point or trying to further a perception when you make that type of comparison whether you like it or not

2) Well you are being ridiculous for not seeing how risky 5 picks are. It paid off for the Falcons. But did it pay off when the Saints traded everything for Ricky Williams? No but everyone and I mean everyone was so sure he was a can’t miss and nfl ready game changer

3) Ponder made sense for what the Vikes were looking for. He was going to be a 1st rounder regardless so if the Vikes waited then they were going to be arguing over Mallet, Stanzi, or Yates in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Ponder was a low risk pick and he led them to a playoff appearance in 2012. So it’s not a horrible or a bad pick like you seem to believe.

4) If you believe going all in on a qb this year is stupid then fine, but if there was ever a draft to get a talented arm then this is one to go in on.

5) AJ is good enough to start, but the question is if he is good enough to earn staying power for any particular team in the NFL. He resembles Brady in so many ways in that he really needs a bounce of luck to come out of some where to get that opportunity. Right now he is definitely in that Flynn and Fitzpatrick category of average guy that everyone goes crazy over when their starter goes down before the trade deadline. I think it is possible for him to win a full time starting role but I don’t think Buffalo is it because Buffalo is making a lot of moves in the offseason and chief amongst them is getting rid of Tyrod.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So now that that's out of the way....how do you guys think AJ will do this year?
I think that he will begin the year as the starter but lose the job by mid-season. Their schedule is really tough - especially the first 6 games. They will be lucky to go 3-3 in those games (2-4 is more likely), and they will bring in Allen.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think that he will begin the year as the starter but lose the job by mid-season. Their schedule is really tough - especially the first 6 games. They will be lucky to go 3-3 in those games (2-4 is more likely), and they will bring in Allen.
Pretty much

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If they start 3-3 and AJ's playing well I think they may stick with him for the better part of the season. He doesn't have much room for error though, that's for sure..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If they start 3-3 and AJ's playing well I think they may stick with him for the better part of the season. He doesn't have much room for error though, that's for sure..
If they are a strong 3-3 with AJ playing well and taking charge of the locker room, he definitely has a chance. Those 6 games will be tough. But the Bills picked Allen #7 in the draft. There will be a ton of pressure to play him if things look even a little bit sketchy.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If they are a strong 3-3 with AJ playing well and taking charge of the locker room, he definitely has a chance. Those 6 games will be tough. But the Bills picked Allen #7 in the draft. There will be a ton of pressure to play him if things look even a little bit sketchy.
His play will have to be near perfect. Coaches and owners have no patience anymore.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hope he wins a lot and make it hard for them to move him out. Be awesome to have a great QB in the league from Bama.
If he plays well enough and Allen gets the nod in spite of his play, he will at least guarantee himself a much longer NFL career. I know that he wants to start, but there is nothing wrong with getting paid millions of dollars each year to carry a clipboard.

I am pulling for AJ. I just feel that the deck is stacked against him with respect his chances of holding onto the starting job in Buffalo. But that doesn't mean that he won't continue to get paid very well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.