News Article: Mueller Charges 13 Russian Nationals, 3 Russian Entities with Election Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Pardon probably do as much harm as good for him. NY could still swoop in and charge him for state crimes & his accepting the pardon would be an admission of guilt in those crimes. As I understand it, could be incorrect.
more reporting now showing that Manafort has a reason to believe this. WSJ and others reporting that Trump ex lawyer Dowd reached out to Manafort and Flynn lawyers with a "Stay quiet and he'll pardon you" offer back when it was clear that Manafort and Flynn would be targets for flipping.

Offering a witness a get out of jail free card to not talk feels like obstruction to me

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
more reporting now showing that Manafort has a reason to believe this. WSJ and others reporting that Trump ex lawyer Dowd reached out to Manafort and Flynn lawyers with a "Stay quiet and he'll pardon you" offer back when it was clear that Manafort and Flynn would be targets for flipping.

Offering a witness a get out of jail free card to not talk feels like obstruction to me
It's just locker room obstruction.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Mueller is sniffing around the Ukraine changes to the Republican Party platform. Recall that the only change the Trump campaign made was to soften the stance on arming Ukraine. Can't imagine which country would appreciate that gesture.

and who led that change? If you guess Rick Gates, the one we now know to be actively communicating with Russian Intelligence at the time give yourself a gold star. Witch hunt

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-republican-convention-sources-idUSKBN1H52VT

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
according to the latest reporting Mueller told Gates "no thanks" when Gates offered to roll on Manafort as he had enough on Manafort that he didn't need the assist. So then who is Gates rolling on to get such a great deal from team Mueller?

https://amp.businessinsider.com/mue...ion-contacts-2018-3?__twitter_impression=true

Thursday yielded another clue about how the special counsel Robert Mueller is now going after bigger targets in the Russia investigation.

CNN reported Thursday evening that Mueller's team told Rick Gates, the former deputy chairman of President Donald Trump's campaign, that it wasn't interested in gaining his cooperation against Paul Manafort, the former chairman who is Gates' longtime business associate.

Instead, CNN reported, Mueller's team wanted to know what Gates knew about the central question in the Russia investigation: the Trump campaign's contacts with Russia during the 2016 US election.

The development indicates Mueller's office has enough information to continue pressuring Manafort in the Russia investigation. Both Gates and Manafort were charged with dozens of counts related to tax and bank fraud, money laundering, and conspiracy against the US.

Manafort has pleaded not guilty. But last month, Gates flipped in the investigation, pleading guilty to one count of conspiracy and one count of lying to investigators. His vastly reduced plea deal indicated that he gave Mueller something of substantial value related to the collusion inquiry.

On Tuesday, Mueller's office drew the most direct link yet between the Trump campaign and Russia, revealing in court filings Gates was aware he was communicating with a shadowy operative with ties to Russian intelligence at the height of the election.

The operative is denoted in documents as "Person A." Tuesday's filing from Mueller's office says it was "pertinent to the investigation" that "Gates and Person A were directly communicating in September and October 2016."

But because Mueller did not need Gates' cooperation against Manafort, per CNN, the information he provided to the special counsel was most likely unrelated to "Person A" and the former Trump campaign chairman.

"This means Mueller believes he has Manafort dead to rights & that Gates' cooperation adds to evidence of the campaigns collusion with Russia," the former federal prosecutor Joyce Alene Vance tweeted. "So, sort of a big deal."

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Mueller is sniffing around the Ukraine changes to the Republican Party platform. Recall that the only change the Trump campaign made was to soften the stance on arming Ukraine. Can't imagine which country would appreciate that gesture.
I thought that was weird at the time. The campaign committee was plugging along with the usual McCain-easque policy of "we should help Ukraine protect itself, including potentially with lethal aid..." when all of a sudden a a platform fight broke out. You don't hear much about those because party platforms are only vague general outlines on party policy, not "Yea, verily, our nominee shall implement..." affairs.
I remember thinking, "Why engage in a platform fight at all, and certainly why engage in this fight?"

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
That CANNOT be good.

Ok, somebody from the Left, put yourself into the shoes of a logical, well informed person on the Right (don't take that low-hanging fruit) and answer, "How could this not be the LARGEST red flag yet to the trump Presidency?

I'm very VERY uh, obtuse, I guess, when it comes to matter of legality or criminal proceedings, but I've got to think that if a longtime personal lawyer's office is getting raided then they are looking for the final material to sink you. That's the stuff that, because of LAW ITSELF, is never supposed to see the light of day. It's like talking to a therapist.

3 things here. 1: They were smart enough to move any sensitive materials off-site at the beginning of his Presidency. 2: They weren't and he's done something and they find it. 3: There's nothing to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.