News Article: Mueller Charges 13 Russian Nationals, 3 Russian Entities with Election Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
https://www.popehat.com/2018/04/09/...-cohens-office-what-we-can-infer-immediately/

The feds are only supposed to raid a law firm if less intrusive measures won't work. As the USAM puts it:

In order to avoid impinging on valid attorney-client relationships, prosecutors are expected to take the least intrusive approach consistent with vigorous and effective law enforcement when evidence is sought from an attorney actively engaged in the practice of law. Consideration should be given to obtaining information from other sources or through the use of a subpoena, unless such efforts could compromise the criminal investigation or prosecution, or could result in the obstruction or destruction of evidence, or would otherwise be ineffective.

Such a search requires high-level approval. The USAM requires such a search warrant to be approved by the U.S. Attorney — the head of the office, a Presidential appointee — and requires "consultation" with the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. This is not a couple of rogue AUSAs sneaking in a warrant.
Some more interesting tidbits there as well.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That CANNOT be good.

Ok, somebody from the Left, put yourself into the shoes of a logical, well informed person on the Right (don't take that low-hanging fruit) and answer, "How could this not be the LARGEST red flag yet to the trump Presidency?

I'm very VERY uh, obtuse, I guess, when it comes to matter of legality or criminal proceedings, but I've got to think that if a longtime personal lawyer's office is getting raided then they are looking for the final material to sink you. That's the stuff that, because of LAW ITSELF, is never supposed to see the light of day. It's like talking to a therapist.

3 things here. 1: They were smart enough to move any sensitive materials off-site at the beginning of his Presidency. 2: They weren't and he's done something and they find it. 3: There's nothing to find.
these folks are ruthless and wholly without decency, scruples, or morals, but they're not very bright, so it's probably #1

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
WaPo has more information:

Trump attorney Cohen is being investigated for possible bank fraud, campaign finance violations, according to a person familiar with the case

Among the documents seized were privileged communications between Cohen and his clients — including those with Trump, according to a person familiar with the investigators’ work. Investigators took Cohen’s computer, phone and personal financial records as part of the search of his office at Rockefeller Center, the person said.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that it's not good when the feds seize privileged communications between you, the subject of an ongoing FBI investigation, and your shady lawyer.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I believe that, at least to an extent, the attorney - client privilege has been eroded away due to the fact that Cohen has acted for Trump in capacities outside of being his legal advisor. The Stormy Daniel"s payment as well may be outside the realm of attorney-client privilege.
Of course it is--Trump has stated that he didn't know anything about the agreement and payment. Seriously, these guys are DUMB.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This quotes come to mind.
That didn't work out too well. did it?

He was basically saying... Had I known I would have gotten an AG who would be willing to suspend the rule of law on my behalf!

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
there is no way they got a warrant to no-knock the Presidents Lawyer without them already having a really big something
I certainly hope that this isn't about Stormy Daniels and potential campaign contribution violations resulting from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.