News Article: Mueller Charges 13 Russian Nationals, 3 Russian Entities with Election Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Cambridge Analytica found guilty of breaking UK Data Laws

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cambridge-analytica-pleads-guilty-in-uk-data-trial

and Rod Rosenstein announced he is stepping down once the new AG is seated, that is an interesting turn of events
I would guess from RR's resignation that the Mueller report must be essentially complete, or to a point where a replacement couldn't interfere. I think the crap would really hit the fan, if a replacement tried to suppress it...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I would guess from RR's resignation that the Mueller report must be essentially complete, or to a point where a replacement couldn't interfere. I think the crap would really hit the fan, if a replacement tried to suppress it...
that is my take as well

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Why Putin Targets Minorities

This probably fits just as well here as anywhere else.
I had never heard of the "Red Pill Movement," but I get the allusion.
Anyway, it is not just election interference. The internet is the Wild West in terms of information freedom and the Russians use that to confuse, divide, and incite.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Why Putin Targets Minorities

This probably fits just as well here as anywhere else.
I had never heard of the "Red Pill Movement," but I get the allusion.
Anyway, it is not just election interference. The internet is the Wild West in terms of information freedom and the Russians use that to confuse, divide, and incite.
Red Pill'ers are a particularly nasty group. They feel that they are owed sex by women as they are white males and therefore dominant alpha's and consider anyone who doesn't agree to be a brainwashed "cuck" short for cuckold (though they love Roger Stone who is known to have placed ads searching for men to have sex with his wife while he watches, the literal definition of a cuckold) and they love anyone who tells them that they should be empowered over everything. To them "grab them by the P" was just another sign that Trump was their man. Of course the whole white identity part makes them align to nazi's and breitbart. If I had to guess many if not most of the "Good People" in Charlottsville were connected to the Red Pill movement

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Red Pill'ers are a particularly nasty group. They feel that they are owed sex by women as they are white males and therefore dominant alpha's and consider anyone who doesn't agree to be a brainwashed "cuck" short for cuckold (though they love Roger Stone who is known to have placed ads searching for men to have sex with his wife while he watches, the literal definition of a cuckold) and they love anyone who tells them that they should be empowered over everything. To them "grab them by the P" was just another sign that Trump was their man. Of course the whole white identity part makes them align to nazi's and breitbart. If I had to guess many if not most of the "Good People" in Charlottsville were connected to the Red Pill movement
Red Pill folks sound charming.

What struck me about this piece was two things:
1. Russian interference is not just about elections, but undermining society as a whole between elections by attacking the legitimacy of necessary institutions.
2. The interference is not static, but evolves over time: engage an audience, makes that audience feel isolated or convince them that social institutions like the judiciary do not work, incite them to protest or violence. That phasing implies strategic direction, not random Russian hackers in their parents' basements screwing around with the West.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They are news to me, but I can certainly see them as a natural outgrowth of the other hat groups. The most astounding disinformation groups to me were the ones they managed to create and promote in Texas. There were horrible non-native misspellings and grammatical mistakes. The posts were all but written in a Russian accent. Because they were saying what a large number of Texans wanted to believe, they were wildly successful...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Red Pill folks sound charming.

What struck me about this piece was two things:
1. Russian interference is not just about elections, but undermining society as a whole between elections by attacking the legitimacy of necessary institutions.
2. The interference is not static, but evolves over time: engage an audience, makes that audience feel isolated or convince them that social institutions like the judiciary do not work, incite them to protest or violence. That phasing implies strategic direction, not random Russian hackers in their parents' basements screwing around with the West.
I had gradually come to realize both those points...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
They are news to me, but I can certainly see them as a natural outgrowth of the other hat groups. The most astounding disinformation groups to me were the ones they managed to create and promote in Texas. There were horrible non-native misspellings and grammatical mistakes. The posts were all but written in a Russian accent. Because they were saying what a large number of Texans wanted to believe, they were wildly successful...
a fruedian slip or mistake? But, yes they are all part of the Red Hat Maga clan

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I had gradually come to realize both those points...
I honestly don't think they or Trump thought their efforts in 2016 would result in Trump winning. They thought they would get a severely weakened Hillary and Trump thought he would get a building in Moscow and a set up for a TrumpTV network.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I honestly don't think they or Trump thought their efforts in 2016 would result in Trump winning. They thought they would get a severely weakened Hillary and Trump thought he would get a building in Moscow and a set up for a TrumpTV network.
The Russians very specifically blamed Hillary for what they thought was DoS's campaign to overthrow their buddy in Ukraine (as well as the Panama Papers, which embarrassed Friends of Putin), and according to Russians, everything that gets leaked to the media is because someone in government wanted it leaked to the media. Thus, embarrassing Putin's oligarch buddies was American policy, so he wanted some revenge. They probably did not think Trump could win, but a damaged President HRC would be the next best thing in their eyes.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here is another article from a Baltic webpage (in English) about how Russia conducts its influence ops in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
Moscow’s Mouthpieces
Bottom line, Rossiya Segodnya owns Russian language media sites in these three countries (~25% of Latvians and Estonians are Russian-speaking and ~7% of Lithuanians speak Russian), then, actors inside Russian media with contacts with the Russian government gives these media outlets stories to cover and how to cover them.

The same process would be used in the U.S. only in English (since so few Americans speak Russian), although the media structure in the U.S. is a little harder to break into, except online news sources. As I have said before, anybody who gets her or his news from Facebook/Twitter/etc. is criminally stupid. You don't know where the heck that story came from.
In one case I know of, Russians published a story on a web page called "The Guardìan." It looked like the real British newspaper, which has a solid rep. Look closer at the letters and you'll see that it was
"The Guardìan."
Look closely at the letter "i". The story was bogus and designed to embarrass MI5.
Caveat lector.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Their target audience probably didn’t notice the poor grammar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.