News Article: Mueller Charges 13 Russian Nationals, 3 Russian Entities with Election Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
just speculation on my part. it's because he is rich and white and his case was heard by a rich white judge.
That was a big part of it but I also have to wonder how much politics entered into it.
One thing everyone should remember though is that none of these charges had anything to do with Trump or Russian meddling in the election, even though one of his lawyers made a stupid comment about 'no collusion'. :rolleyes:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
just speculation on my part. it's because he is rich and white and his case was heard by a rich white judge.
OK thanks. Is there any proof for what you are suggesting? Something in the background of this judge in particular?

Or are you (perhaps) commenting on the justice system as a whole - something I agree with, BTW.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
When the judge disagreed with the recommended sentencing, he claimed that Manafort had lived an "otherwise blameless life" apart from the bank and tax fraud, which is laughable on its face. Keep in mind that Manafort has also pled guilty to the 10 additional charges that resulted in a hung jury as part of his plea deal (which he violated), and the judge himself scolded Manafort for not showing any remorse for his crimes.

I could have understood a reduction from the recommended 20-25 years to, say, 10. But less than four years with time already served? A black man with a joint would get more than that. This kind of absurdity highlights the injustice of our "justice" system and will do nothing to deter the kind of fraud Manafort has committed.
So you are blaming the judge, then, Charmin?

Do you agree with 92's assertion about this being about white rich privilege?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
That was a big part of it but I also have to wonder how much politics entered into it.
One thing everyone should remember though is that none of these charges had anything to do with Trump or Russian meddling in the election, even though one of his lawyers made a stupid comment about 'no collusion'. :rolleyes:
Can you be more specific Bamaro on what exact role politics played into this sentence?

For example, if this wasn't a highly publicized case that was tied in some way to someone who worked at one time for the POTUS....the sentence would have ..........?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
OK thanks. Is there any proof for what you are suggesting? Something in the background of this judge in particular?

Or are you (perhaps) commenting on the justice system as a whole - something I agree with, BTW.
both. i have seen several articles talking about some of this judge's sentencing history.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Can you be more specific Bamaro on what exact role politics played into this sentence?

For example, if this wasn't a highly publicized case that was tied in some way to someone who worked at one time for the POTUS....the sentence would have ..........?
Politics because people tended to read more into this case than what it really was about (not about Trump). Also, the judge showed a displeasure with the prosecution during the trial.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
OK thanks, guys.

Any ideas on how to correct these issues?
well, one approach may be to convince some of our fellow country folk to not be gullible enough to fall for nonsense like "drain the swamp" as a way to "take the country back" from the "elites" by electing even more corrupt elites.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
well, one approach may be to convince some of our fellow country folk to not be gullible enough to fall for nonsense like "drain the swamp" as a way to "take the country back" from the "elites" by electing even more corrupt elites.
Electing corrupt elites is just for entertainment purposes.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Asking me for money to read it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is a WaPost article. The article is from 2015 and is about when he was on the show and isn’t relevant to the current situation.

One interesting bit of information is that the judge is described by her son as “white, Jewish, and liberal” and her husband is “black, Christian, and conservative”. (He was a Bush administration lawyer).

They have the right to do it, but the Post and NY Times charging to read articles online annoys me. If the Podunk Press can give it away, they should be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Manafort received an additional 73 months of prison time from his second trial (LINK), to be served concurrently. The total sentence for these two federal cases is 6 years and nine months.

Immediately after, NY indicted Manafort on 16 state charges -- mortgage fraud and a smattering of other felonies. LINK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Manafort received an additional 73 months of prison time from his second trial (LINK), to be served concurrently. The total sentence for these two federal cases is 6 years and nine months.

Immediately after, NY indicted Manafort on 16 state charges -- mortgage fraud and a smattering of other felonies. LINK
And now, Trump can't help him with New York...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.