Link: Inside Auburn’s Secret Effort to Advance an Athlete-Friendly Curriculum

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The new batch of data was unambiguous. Half of the students in one major were athletes. One in three black players on Auburn’s football team was enrolled in the program.

Rather than question how this might have happened, the university’s provost instead offered a plan: Create more programs like it.

"The following report points to the need for more majors that have enough elective courses etc.," Timothy R. Boosinger, the provost at the time, wrote in the late winter of 2015 to G. Jay Gogue, who was then the president. So many athletes concentrated in one major — public administration — can attract controversy, and it did. Offering more programs with similarly flexible requirements would, Boosinger implied, solve the problem.

The provost assured the president that those other programs were in the works, and that he had met with Jay Jacobs, who was then the athletic director, "to discuss the new offerings that are in the pipeline."

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Longtime observers of the university see this latest conflict as part of a cycle at Auburn, where critics inspire fleeting consternation and public outrage, only to see the university shrug and move on until athletics overreaches again. It is a pattern that Mark Burns, a retired associate professor of political science who taught occasional courses in public administration, describes as deeply embedded in the university’s history and culture.

Ahem. Cough cough. Keep it down home, cuz.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If memory serves, the Barn delayed making decisions on grade appeals until after the national championship game when Can was playing. (Normally those decisions were made in December, but that year was a little "special.")
Has anyone ever checked how many Barn players were actually declared academically ineligible the day after the championship? Individual cases wouold be protected by FERPA, but as a group, did any journalist dig into those data or was it lost in the euphoria of finally wining a championship?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If memory serves, the Barn delayed making decisions on grade appeals until after the national championship game when Can was playing. (Normally those decisions were made in December, but that year was a little "special.")
Has anyone ever checked how many Barn players were actually declared academically ineligible the day after the championship? Individual cases wouold be protected by FERPA, but as a group, did any journalist dig into those data or was it lost in the euphoria of finally wining a championship?

You are correct, and it was Auburn graduate Selena Roberts who broke the story..

Which does away with their usual excuse about how Alabama somehow caused it.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look, I know MANY great Auburn fans just like I know some Tide fan supporters I'd like to tie in chains and toss into a river.

But the thing with so many of them is that ALL of the evidence showed they were gonna do anything necessary - fair or foul - to win
that national title and wear the shirts and have the parade, blah blah.

And there's NOTHING wrong with wanting those things..

The problem is that too many of them like to PRETEND they don't......because if those matter then they have to look about 125 miles to the west and see
that big gray/crimson behemoth, and it's too much for some of them.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Anything to keep up with Alabama. And the SEC office and NCAA turn a blind eye to it every single time. I guess the Powers That Be are afraid to severely penalize them because it would make Alabama even more powerful than it is now. There has to be a logical reason as to why AU slips out of the noose every single time they're caught cheating.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's the thing, and I warn Tide fans about this all the time: NOBODY is virgin clean, okay? Well, MAYBE a place like Vanderbilt. MAYBE.

All schools skirt the rules up to a point. All schools take advantage of ANY kind of loophole, legal challenge, word parsing, or even
chicanery that they think they can get by with. A guy I work with attended the University of Houston from 1968-1972. They were sanctioned
in 1966 with a three-year probation. While he was there, he was one of those geniuses who did the football players's work for them
and made INTENTIONAL mistakes so that it actually looked like Jim Bob Bobcat, who couldn't read at a third grade level, actually did the homework.

He's told me that if folks REALLY knew what went on in those days, they would not believe it. He made under the table cash more than he made
in any one year of his first 25 years of working honestly as a medical scientist. He's even said he literally had to take a pay cut when he left
college. (The dude also made a fortune - remember, this is when the Pill had just become legal and was known to cause DVTs - calculating
ovulation cycles for intercourse for dudes and gals. He's proud to say that not a single one of his 'subjects' ever failed the test; others weren't
so lucky.....indeed, you might even be one of them). But back to Auburn.

And Ole Miss.

It's not that it never went on or hasn't always gone on BUT.......it's about like getting popped with a spot foul PI penalty as opposed to getting away
with a holding that nobody noticed. Andy Staples himself has made crystal clear that Alabama was NOT the only "dirty" team back in the DuBose era,
we're just the ones who got caught.

But there's propriety. Some of these schools seem to be flagrant.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
The state media was paid to keep quiet in 2010. They knew everything that was going on that year, from Cam getting paid, academic cheating, the off the field issues. Everything. And I've spoken with someone who has explained it to me in great detail. Auburn should've gotten hammered by the NCAA. No two ways about it.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
IIRC Grades for the fall have to be finalized before the spring semester begins. UA changed the start of the spring semester to after the National Champ game when we had the BCS. I remember the rational being students would miss time traveling to the BCS championship. I’m sure eligibility issues also play a big part.

I am not taking anything away from 99% of our athletes who bust their rear and make good grades. However, a small few knowing they are going out for the draft neglect class work.

Back to the Barn, they are guilty of a lot more than pushing back a semester start date to keep their players eligible.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Not sure if any school ever had as much shady things going on with their student athletes as Oklahoma back in the Barry Switzer days. Me and my buddy frequently discussed it back then. Seemed like all the star players majored in Communications, a relatively easy major I'm told. I'm sure grades were faked. Some of those guys acted like they couldn't even read. Many players were in trouble with the law.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Not sure if any school ever had as much shady things going on with their student athletes as Oklahoma back in the Barry Switzer days. Me and my buddy frequently discussed it back then. Seemed like all the star players majored in Communications, a relatively easy major I'm told. I'm sure grades were faked. Some of those guys acted like they couldn't even read. Many players were in trouble with the law.
I remember those days. Oklahoma gave the term "football factory" a bad name. They were thug U along with The U. in my book.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I am not surprised. IIRC, Dexter Manley, who went to Okie State, and played for the Redskins, could not recognize his own written name. Although that was the way with things back then, it's a disgrace that any University would permit that kind of educational negligence. It would be even more so if were it to be happening now. I believe that CNS is making every possible attempt to insure that his players are receiving the best education that they are able to comprehend. Not everyone can be a 'Rocket Scientist'.

Roll Tide!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Before the days of “cooked curriculum” or “jock majors” at Auburn, the process was much simpler.
Just have the athletic department send out their “strong arm” folks to have conversation with the faculty where players were “struggling” (probably because they didn’t bother showing up for class). The mafia would have been proud.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As Selma already pointed out, nobody is pure on this. All schools, Alabama included, have majors that have a disproportionate share of scholarship athletes.

But like Ole Miss in recruiting and Auburn in academic "construction," it's a matter of degree.

If the speed limit is 70, every Power 5 school is going 80-85 on both.

Auburn and Ole Miss, however, are going 120, driving with their knees, beer in one hand, that arm around the hooker, middle finger salute from the other hand waving out the window at the cops.

Trouble is, the cops aren't doing anything.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.