Game Thread: Alabama @ Kentucky

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Close only counts in horse shoes, but we kept it close up to the end. The collapse, in the last 3+ minutes, with all the turnovers, was frustrating.

Amazing that we kept it close that long. With all the bumped around, knocked around, rolled around rebounds that constantly went to UK, for a second shot................

And a third shot..................

And a fourth shot................

That was what really killed us. The refs didn't job us, like normally happens (yes, they made some bad calls, but it was not a clinic in how to screw a road opponent), but UK made their FTs, and we were just so-so. A few less RBs for UK, and few more made FTs for us, and who knows how it would have turned out.

But then we cracked under pressure, at the end, when we had to put points on the board. Did not expect to see that.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I was out and about so only saw the last few minutes of the game. KY was in a position to whee they had to win this game so figured they were going to put up a solid effort. We most likely will go 2-2 on the next stretch, I would give a vote of confidence in beating Auburn but its a weekday game and weekday games have been a challenge for us unfortunately. I hope they get the win though, would be cool to see this team get 20 wins.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Can't agree there. I've seen atrocious officiating at Rupp, and this was as good as any opponent will get it there. This falls squarely on the guys who didn't want to rebound, and the coach who kept his best rebounders benched.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
Didn't want to rebound ? I saw a bunch of balls that bounce UK's way. The effort was there. Did they always successfully block out ? No. But UK is very athletic and active, thus more difficult to block out. As far as the best rebounders - they were all on the floor: Hall, Key, Ingram (Sexton as PG). Did you want to sub with Giddens and Reese ? They are taller, but don't rebound according to their height. Who did you want to take out ? Even Hall is only a decent-to-good rebounder, partially because he is a shot blocker, certainly not because of lack of effort. Coaching is not Bama's problem. Bama missed many open shots by its shooters, Sexton was not able to do much and a non-vintage but good and desperate UK played well, especially down the stretch; despite all of this, Bama was down 2 with 3 1/2 to play. CAJ is the best coach since Wimp, will probably be as good or better, his offense is definitely better. Wimp had a loaded state. CAJ has assembled a very good and versatile team. They are skilled but could probably use one "lunch-pail"/Olaniyan type guy. If Hall returns, they could be very good next year, probably even without him. They can still do some damage this year. Hopefully, they won't have another late-season collapse.

Btw, Bama is not getting a better HC than Avery Johnson - at least IMO, it would be shocking. He's definitely the best Bama's ever had with set plays out of TOs, though that's only a small part of his job. He probably has the best record against ranked teams of any Bama coach ever, idk. As far as Bama's "inconsistency" (not directed to OP) - just on Sat, UF lost to Vandy, UT lost to UGA, AU lost to USC, Mizz lost to LSU, Bama lost to UK. Basketball is like that.

Some of Bama's basketball fans are worse than the football fans. Watch most "good" college basketball teams play. Few look anything like a finished product. Basketball is an elusive game and in P5 BB everyone is trying to win "today", no one is allowed to build anything. You can even play a decent game and lose a close one to UK at Rupp and a few will call for your head or at least be indignant - it's true, I've seen it :smile:. Thankfully, it's only a few, but they can cast a pall over the atmosphere and contribute to the sense to "win now".

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Didn't want to rebound ? I saw a bunch of balls that bounce UK's way. The effort was there. Did they always successfully block out ? No. But UK is very athletic and active, thus more difficult to block out. As far as the best rebounders - they were all on the floor: Hall, Key, Ingram (Sexton as PG). Did you want to sub with Giddens and Reese ? They are taller, but don't rebound according to their height. Who did you want to take out ? Even Hall is only a decent-to-good rebounder, partially because he is a shot blocker, certainly not because of lack of effort. Coaching is not Bama's problem. Bama missed many open shots by its shooters, Sexton was not able to do much and a non-vintage but good and desperate UK played well, especially down the stretch; despite all of this, Bama was down 2 with 3 1/2 to play. CAJ is the best coach since Wimp, will probably be as good or better, his offense is definitely better. Wimp had a loaded state. CAJ has assembled a very good and versatile team. They are skilled but could probably use one "lunch-pail"/Olaniyan type guy. If Hall returns, they could be very good next year, probably even without him. They can still do some damage this year. Hopefully, they won't have another late-season collapse.

Btw, Bama is not getting a better HC than Avery Johnson - at least IMO, it would be shocking. He's definitely the best Bama's ever had with set plays out of TOs, though that's only a small part of his job. He probably has the best record against ranked teams of any Bama coach ever, idk. As far as Bama's "inconsistency" (not directed to OP) - just on Sat, UF lost to Vandy, UT lost to UGA, AU lost to USC, Mizz lost to LSU, Bama lost to UK. Basketball is like that.

Some of Bama's basketball fans are worse than the football fans. Watch most "good" college basketball teams play. Few look anything like a finished product. Basketball is an elusive game and in P5 BB everyone is trying to win "today", no one is allowed to build anything. You can even play a decent game and lose a close one to UK at Rupp and a few will call for your head or at least be indignant - it's true, I've seen it :smile:. Thankfully, it's only a few, but they can cast a pall over the atmosphere and contribute to the sense to "win now".
This is one of the best posts that I have ever seen on here. Thank you for this. These are my exact thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I was out and about so only saw the last few minutes of the game. KY was in a position to whee they had to win this game so figured they were going to put up a solid effort. We most likely will go 2-2 on the next stretch, I would give a vote of confidence in beating Auburn but its a weekday game and weekday games have been a challenge for us unfortunately. I hope they get the win though, would be cool to see this team get 20 wins.
I dunno, man. We're basically down to one guy that can play at 5. We're in trouble to close out the year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I noticed many of the rebounds came after a Bama player tried to tip the ball up and grab it. This normally works. Kentucky has the length to catch the ball, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I dunno, man. We're basically down to one guy that can play at 5. We're in trouble to close out the year.
That was a tough injury at this time of the season Dub, hate it for your guys. Hoping they can continue to finish strong.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
That was a tough injury at this time of the season Dub, hate it for your guys. Hoping they can continue to finish strong.
I really can’t complain too much. Goal this year was simply to make the tournament. Already sealed that, so we’re on icing on the cake mode. Not only that, but if we can pull two wins out of the hat short handed we win the conference. Can’t call where we are anything but a success.

Hall is going to have a field day on us though. Horace matches up well but gets into foul trouble frequently. After that you’ll see 6’3 DeSean Murray and wing player Chuma Okeke trying to guard him in the paint.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I really can’t complain too much. Goal this year was simply to make the tournament. Already sealed that, so we’re on icing on the cake mode. Not only that, but if we can pull two wins out of the hat short handed we win the conference. Can’t call where we are anything but a success.

Hall is going to have a field day on us though. Horace matches up well but gets into foul trouble frequently. After that you’ll see 6’3 DeSean Murray and wing player Chuma Okeke trying to guard him in the paint.
You don't have anything to worry about Wednesday, Auburn and the officials are not going to let Bama beat you at your place.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.