Question: Whitehouse visit

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Just as Brad said, it would require constant monitoring, deleting and correcting, mainly on the football forum. People just can't keep their political views to themselves, even under normal circumstances. I can't call Trump's stay in the White House as "normal"...
There are certain posters that turn every topic into a political topic. They just can't help themselves. It got so bad there was even a sticky at one point.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
There's a 0% chance that everyone would show the self control needed for that. Easier to just handle it this way. Remember, we mods are volunteers here, and ultimately we're going to avoid situations that history shows are guaranteed to cause us headaches.
Just as Brad said, it would require constant monitoring, deleting and correcting, mainly on the football forum. People just can't keep their political views to themselves, even under normal circumstances. I can't call Trump's stay in the White House as "normal"...
There are certain posters that turn every topic into a political topic. They just can't help themselves. It got so bad there was even a sticky at one point.
Exactly what I thought and totally get it. People just can't help themselves when it comes to politics, sadly.

Thanks for all you guys do, Brad, Earle, and all our other dedicated moderators....we're very lucky to have you! :p

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was tempted to convert this thread to football discussion only and see how many non-political posts would follow. It's not really much of a topic, once you comment on the pix, how they look, etc. I don't think it's even really much of a football thread at all...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I just want to say this: I'm SO proud of the school, the players, and the coach for how they handled this. Seriously.

Too many of these things have been turned into self-important athletes wanting the whole damn world to know, "By gawd, I'm snubbing that jack weed," or the jack weed wanting everyone else to know, "Well, you weren't invited anyway."

This was nationally - in a large sense - a non-story, and to me it speaks of the discipline the coach has over the players in every facet of this. My Washington Huskies friend is in sheer envy of how Saban handled this. I said, "It was probably easy. He likely told them any dissension would result in scholarship revocation and their dismissal, and he has plenty of guys behind even the best starter who can play. But then again, I suspect he told them to continue to be part of something bigger than themselves."

I don't know what exactly he did - but he sure handled it most awesomely. Whether you like or hate or whatever Trump....our school and coach and players handled it absolutely perfectly.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I just want to say this: I'm SO proud of the school, the players, and the coach for how they handled this. Seriously.

Too many of these things have been turned into self-important athletes wanting the whole damn world to know, "By gawd, I'm snubbing that jack weed," or the jack weed wanting everyone else to know, "Well, you weren't invited anyway."

This was nationally - in a large sense - a non-story, and to me it speaks of the discipline the coach has over the players in every facet of this. My Washington Huskies friend is in sheer envy of how Saban handled this. I said, "It was probably easy. He likely told them any dissension would result in scholarship revocation and their dismissal, and he has plenty of guys behind even the best starter who can play. But then again, I suspect he told them to continue to be part of something bigger than themselves."

I don't know what exactly he did - but he sure handled it most awesomely. Whether you like or hate or whatever Trump....our school and coach and players handled it absolutely perfectly.
i agree, they always have tremendous composure regardless of the situation (thinking also nd in the tunnel and uga/athens shenanigans in 2015)

he does need to work with scott cochran on how to properly wear a tie ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's a similar difference:

in the Dubose and Shula years, I cringed every single time we tackled a guy near the sidelines because we seemed to have this desire to get stupid penalties called on us.

Now? I know that it will be an incredibly rare thing, it almost never happens.

Discipline.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I’m sure not everyone on the team was pumped about meeting Trump. But Saban pretty much said everyone was going and that was the end of discussion. I am glad the trip went without incident and everyone kept their opinions of the president to themselves.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, what does everyone suspect Saban’s politics are? I don’t see him as a Bernie Sanders liberal, but if I had to guess I think he voted for Clinton. (Or at least didn’t support Trump). But I don’t think he is super-into politics based on how focused he is on his day job and his busiest time is when elections really heat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I’m sure not everyone on the team was pumped about meeting Trump. But Saban pretty much said everyone was going and that was the end of discussion. I am glad the trip went without incident and everyone kept their opinions of the president to themselves.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, what does everyone suspect Saban’s politics are? I don’t see him as a Bernie Sanders liberal, but if I had to guess I think he voted for Clinton. (Or at least didn’t support Trump). But I don’t think he is super-into politics based on how focused he is on his day job and his busiest time is when elections really heat up.

i remember reading about him being a good friend of manchin (d senator from w. va) and iirc, he insinuated that he voted for/liked obama, but he (rightly) keeps his thoughts on the matters close to the vest.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
i remember reading about him being a good friend of manchin (d senator from w. va) and iirc, he insinuated that he voted for/liked obama, but he (rightly) keeps his thoughts on the matters close to the vest.
He and Manchin have been friends since childhood. They grew up together.

Everything I’ve seen on social media indicates he leans more to the left than the right.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
He and Manchin have been friends since childhood. They grew up together.

Everything I’ve seen on social media indicates he leans more to the left than the right.

thanks, i knew he had some ties to him from his time in w. va.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I’m pretty sure you’re one of several that should be thanked

These have be moderated in the past and one side seems to show much more discipline, as far as sides go

I'm pretty sure you're wrong since it was in NS before comments started being made from the "side" you're talking about.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

These have be moderated in the past and one side seems to show much more discipline, as far as sides go

how so? i haven't posted anything in this thread that can really be taken as political; i referenced a steely dan tune, took a couple of jabs at uga and congratulated the team on the way they handled themselves. regardless, i didn't even post in this thread until well after it had been moved to ns.

i am responsible for my share of thread drift on the ns board, but i keep my political crap to myself on the rest of the site.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

There are not SIDES when it comes to our favorite team being honored on national television. I would say that more than one party or the other, it is people that think there must be sides that ruin the discussion

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Disclaimer: In NO way am I being critical of how anything is being handled here and further I VERY MUCH appreciate ALL the decisions made with this thread by Earle and our other AWESOME moderators! :)

That said - just throwing this out for discussion - would it make sense in the future to have 2 versions of the topic?

For example:

1) Whitehouse visit - non-sports only version

2) Whitehouse visit - football only version

---- with OP stating specific restrictions of posting on the "football" version...(ie, no politics allowed) ?

======

The answer to my question I feel would be that it might be too much to ask that forum members fully understand and comply with concept and parameters of such a prospect which translates to too much aggravation for the moderators.

Which I not only understand but also would agree with. At a certain point you have to throw your hands up and just say enough is enough.

But yeah.....the visit (in theory) should be a football topic 100%. In theory. :)
Love the Whitehouse Visit thread in the Football Forum....I knew you could do it.....well done! :p

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.