Question: Whitehouse visit

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
What hurt McCain more than anything was when the stock market crashed and he TRIED to downplay it. Right up until that moment it was a tie race. The voters actually DO make independent assessments of each candidate (this seems to surprise some people). They had let McCain be DIFFERENT than Bush (as he was) right up until the moment he uttered the phrase that destroyed his chances of winning: "The fundamentals of our economy are strong."

That killed him.
Not Palin.
Not "Bush is in the White House"
Not the so-called blue wall.

There's an eerie fact behind this that almost nobody knew about back in 2008.

Look at the following line from a speech:

"New Hampshire has stood more than its share of rain, job - hurting and the families wondering how they're going to make their ends meet. But there is going to be a rainbow out there. There's some fundamentals that are pretty darn good.

This was a speech given on January 15, 1992 - by President George H W Bush in Exeter, New Hampshire....in the midst of a deepening recession. The moment I heard McCain's comments, this came flying back to my mind. Most folks who were adults in that campaign don't even remember this speech.

Why?

Well, the very next day, the "Star" tabloid broke the Bill Clinton affair with Gennifer Flowers story. But Bush would have had more trouble with that comment had he made it nationally in September after a market crash, too.
A liberal buddy of mine (now deceased) and I were talking about this and he said, "The fundamentals of the economy - the Republican gift that keeps on giving every single campaign."
Recall that it was a collapse of the housing market bubble Greenspan created and mortgage derivatives that had been marketed broadly as AAA instruments. A lot of "smart guys" were holding eight times leverage on these instruments and this crumbled the global banking system. This was much more threatening to the average family than a market crash.

It would be interesting to begin to evaluate the Federal Reserve activity from Volcker forward.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
your comment reminds me of gwb's pathetic response to the financial crisis as he prepared to exit office. Obama must have thought "what have i signed up for". He could not have had a clue and nothing in his background would have equipped him to step into the unfolding disaster.

Mccain has the misfortune to run against a "rock star" who was able to bring out young and minority voters in record numbers to vote for an idea with little substance. Palin certainly did not have a significant affect on that tidal wave.
Let's be honest....PART of the crash of 2008 had nothing at all to do with Bush just like the 1929 crash wasn't Hoover's fault. The policies that caused the subprime mortgage crisis (which was the real explosion that detonated the rest of it) dated (in some cases) back to the late 70s and early 80s. I was stunned to see former President Clinton even admitting in 2009 that he had wanted to do something about it in 1995 and - in that particular case - it was his own party that wouldn't go with him. (Given the legendary battles between Clinton and the Gingrich-led GOP, let's just say seeing that nearly gave me a heart attack). Of course, that doesn't blame the Dems, either, since the GOP could have tried to forestall it in the early 2000s when they had the government if they'd wanted to do so.

Bush didn't help things, but I'll defend him on one particular point......he wasn't going to get much done anyway. The Democrats had NO reason to want to stop the slide (since they stood to benefit) and the GOP didn't want their names tied to his with elections coming up.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
It’s two for Tuesday on I heart radio classic rock and how ironic is it that Sweet Home Alabama is playing right now, Freebird played the first song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.