We're seriously playing all likely NCAA Tourney teams going forward.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. You are correct that I did not say that we are underachieving, but based on our own ranking in the top 25 at one point, I would say that we have underachieved so far. That is not based on losing to UK at Rupp; it is more about losing quite a few games that we should have won. If we had won some of those "should have won" games, we would be sitting pretty. As it is, I still think we have work to do to get in the tournament. Yes, we are projected in right now, but if we tank down the stretch, we will find ourselves on the outside looking in. If we can go 2-2 to finish and add another win in the SEC tourney to get to 20 wins, I think we are solid.
With Alabama's schedule and RPI, it does not have to have 20 wins to get into the tournament.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
With Alabama's schedule and RPI, it does not have to have 20 wins to get into the tournament.
If we get to 20 wins we have a chance at a 6 seed. I do think now that a 6 is our ceiling.

If we were to get to 20 regular season wins and make it to Saturday of the SEC tournament that would put us at 22-12 and we are definitely a 6 seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. You are correct that I did not say that we are underachieving, but based on our own ranking in the top 25 at one point, I would say that we have underachieved so far. That is not based on losing to UK at Rupp; it is more about losing quite a few games that we should have won. If we had won some of those "should have won" games, we would be sitting pretty. As it is, I still think we have work to do to get in the tournament. Yes, we are projected in right now, but if we tank down the stretch, we will find ourselves on the outside looking in. If we can go 2-2 to finish and add another win in the SEC tourney to get to 20 wins, I think we are solid.
Bama has won as many games they "shouldn't have won" as lost games "they shouldn't have lost". UCF was the primary game they shouldn't have lost, but even they are a 57 rpi type team. There's hardly a team in the country that hasn't lost game(s) they "shouldn't have", even Va lost to Va Tech at home. Any SEC road loss this year is understandable. There were certainly games they "could" have won, but every team has those. Has Bama underachieved in view of their fans expectations? Sure, as has about 80% of all programs. And the season isn't over yet. If Bama collapses and fails to get in the NCAA tournament, they yes they will have underachieved. Bama has beaten more ranked teams in the reg season than any Bama team in decades. Though weaker at the top than usual, this is the strongest the SEC has been from top to bottom in recent memory. There are hopes and there are demands - quite different.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Bama has won as many games they "shouldn't have won" as lost games "they shouldn't have lost". UCF was the primary game they shouldn't have lost, but even they are a 57 rpi type team. There's hardly a team in the country that hasn't lost game(s) they "shouldn't have", even Va lost to Va Tech at home. Any SEC road loss this year is understandable. There were certainly games they "could" have won, but every team has those. Has Bama underachieved in view of their fans expectations? Sure, as has about 80% of all programs. And the season isn't over yet. If Bama collapses and fails to get in the NCAA tournament, they yes they will have underachieved. Bama has beaten more ranked teams in the reg season than any Bama team in decades. Though weaker at the top than usual, this is the strongest the SEC has been from top to bottom in recent memory. There are hopes and there are demands - quite different.
True, but I am pretty sure that most fans, even reasonable ones by your standards, expected better than a 13 or 14 loss season. What you say about wins and losses is true, and I don't think any fan was expecting us to rip off a 30-3 season, but I also don't think any of us expected to lose 13 or 14 either. As far as your demand comment goes, neither I nor most fans are in any position to demand anything. I hope for quite a bit, but all I ever expect is that the ladies and gentlemen who represent my university conduct themselves well off the court/field and play hard on it. I'm still hoping for a strong finish. I liked how we were playing at the end of last season, that is, until the poor showing in the NIT. I'm hoping for an even better finish this year. Roll Tide!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I didn't say we had to; I simply said we would be solid. A 1-3 or 0-4 finish with no SEC tourney wins would not keep us in the projections, in my opinion. Do you think we would still be in with either of those finishes? If not, then you actually agree with me.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
True, but I am pretty sure that most fans, even reasonable ones by your standards, expected better than a 13 or 14 loss season. What you say about wins and losses is true, and I don't think any fan was expecting us to rip off a 30-3 season, but I also don't think any of us expected to lose 13 or 14 either. As far as your demand comment goes, neither I nor most fans are in any position to demand anything. I hope for quite a bit, but all I ever expect is that the ladies and gentlemen who represent my university conduct themselves well off the court/field and play hard on it. I'm still hoping for a strong finish. I liked how we were playing at the end of last season, that is, until the poor showing in the NIT. I'm hoping for an even better finish this year. Roll Tide!
And most weren't expecting Alabama to have a SOS of 14, either. The SEC was expected to be strong, but many didn't expect it to be this strong.
I didn't say we had to; I simply said we would be solid. A 1-3 or 0-4 finish with no SEC tourney wins would not keep us in the projections, in my opinion. Do you think we would still be in with either of those finishes? If not, then you actually agree with me.
I said what I believe - 19 wins gets Alabama into the tournament.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That's a good point. Sorry, I didn't see that you said 19 wins gets us in. I only saw that you didn't think we needed the 20 scenario I mentioned. So, you think two more wins in any shape or fashion get us in? Even a 1-3 finish with a win in the tourney? Interesting. It should be a fun few weeks.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Agree completely on this. And IMO, this expectation has been met. Bama has played hard and been reasonably well coached, very well in some aspects. In addition, this has been an exciting season with all of the top 25 wins, and with a reasonably exciting style.

What I meant by "demand" was in reference those who frequently complain about not having their expectations met. They rarely, if ever, give the team and/or coach the credit they deserve or when they do, it is only a prelude to their primary intent, which is to criticize the team and especially CAJ.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Agree completely on this. And IMO, this expectation has been met. Bama has played hard and been reasonably well coached, very well in some aspects. In addition, this has been an exciting season with all of the top 25 wins, and with a reasonably exciting style.

What I meant by "demand" was in reference those who frequently complain about not having their expectations met. They rarely, if ever, give the team and/or coach the credit they deserve or when they do, it is only a prelude to their primary intent, which is to criticize the team and especially CAJ.
Not to mention certain ones that ONLY come on here after a loss. It was very quiet for a few days after the UF, UT, and LSU wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
And most weren't expecting Alabama to have a SOS of 14, either. The SEC was expected to be strong, but many didn't expect it to be this strong.

I said what I believe - 19 wins gets Alabama into the tournament.
19 might be enough but the truth is we won't know until we see how the regular season and conference championships finish out. If we do end up on the bubble we need to hope that teams who win conference championships are tournament teams. If a team that wasn't projected in the tournament wins a conference championship that pushes another team out of the tournament. Of course we could just win the SEC tournament and put all that talk to rest :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
19 might be enough but the truth is we won't know until we see how the regular season and conference championships finish out. If we do end up on the bubble we need to hope that teams who win conference championships are tournament teams. If a team that wasn't projected in the tournament wins a conference championship that pushes another team out of the tournament. Of course we could just win the SEC tournament and put all that talk to rest :)
Agreed.

Conference tournament champions getting a bid is still one of the things that completely irritates me about the tournament. Can't truthfully say it's the best 68 teams in the nation when a team made the tournament only because it won 4 games in a row. Also one of the reasons we'll never see a 16 beat a 1 seed.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Yeah, I have seen good effort in the games that I have been able to watch, so that's fair. I did hear that we are 7.5 point dogs tonight, but it would be huge if we could steal a road win over the top team in the SEC this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.