In depth YouTube video breakdown of all of Tua's 77 pass attempts on the season

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Ron Jaworski used to do that very well back in the 90's on ESPN's NFL Edge show. I always enjoyed watching that for learning a bit more. I am with you. Would love to see some real breakdown of why and how plays happen, who the QB is reading, who the defenders are reading, etc.
Agreed. I would love more of that analysis. Fortunately, there are a ton of places like "Inside the Pylon" that does a good job breaking down plays from multiple angles. It's just unfortunate the amount of energy you have to expend to find what you want. If ESPN regularly broke down big plays/big games in a more detailed manner I would actually watch their shows. Instead they have a bunch of "analysts" who don't know anything(or know very little) about the Xs and Os yelling at each other about random stuff.
I figure this might have been a product of limited practice time. Figuring the offensive play calling/plays will be adjusted some too with Tua likely getting first team reps and withe the new offensive coaching staff.
Agreed. I would assume we would have a much more diverse passing game with Tua as the starter. No point implementing a ton of more complicated passing plays if your starting QB can't execute them.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
**One of my New Year's resolutions given to me by my mother in law (retired grammar teacher) is to stop ending sentences with "at". She said it drives her crazy. LOL!
My mother was a teacher as well (she's gone now) and every time I asked her where something was "at" she'd say between the A and the T.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
When he puts up the total stats for the game at the end, man, the rushing looks pretty rough aside from Najee.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Final video of Tua's pass attempt breakdowns on the year, including the famous "Dime in Overtime."

I would have liked to have heard Wyatt give us his impressions/predictions of Tua's Soph. season. I expect they would be positive/glowing because he was pretty complimentary of him in this season.

For me, I think it shows we have a very special talent that we should enjoy over the next 2 seasons!

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I would have liked to have heard Wyatt give us his impressions/predictions of Tua's Soph. season. I expect they would be positive/glowing because he was pretty complimentary of him in this season.

For me, I think it shows we have a very special talent that we should enjoy over the next 2 seasons!
There is a link somewhere on the board where he joined in a podcast and talked about Tua. The question was around Tua being ranked the 27th best player in the country, and whether it was fair to have him there already. Matt thought it was fair, and gave some very optimistic projections without being specific.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When he puts up the total stats for the game at the end, man, the rushing looks pretty rough aside from Najee.
Remember that they were stacking the box the entire first half, which killed the rushing stats. Najee came into the game in the 4th quarter after Tua had spread the defense out (and worn them out). That helped his stats relative to the other RBs.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I guess I would like to see more. Like let's see the plays where he took a sack or ran with the ball and see the analysis on that too. Or even on times with run options where he chose to hand off rather than keep it, and whether he made a good or bad decision there. I would also like to see this analysis for Jalen to really see from the perspective of someone who knows what they are talking about why Jalen struggles and makes the wrong choice or chooses too late. I know, Wyatt isn't a Bama guy and already did us fans a nice service with the videos he made. But I sure would love more.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I guess I would like to see more. Like let's see the plays where he took a sack or ran with the ball and see the analysis on that too. Or even on times with run options where he chose to hand off rather than keep it, and whether he made a good or bad decision there. I would also like to see this analysis for Jalen to really see from the perspective of someone who knows what they are talking about why Jalen struggles and makes the wrong choice or chooses too late. I know, Wyatt isn't a Bama guy and already did us fans a nice service with the videos he made. But I sure would love more.
"To see more" because you want to see more or to prove/disprove who's better?

If it's the latter, I don't thing we need anymore film study to show who's the better passing and overall better QB. We've got 2 whole years of film on JH running the offense and the proof is in the pudding that we were bogging down against good defenses.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Jalen struggles reading defenses. Every former player/former coach now turned football analyst on ESPN and the SEC Network has pointed this out. I don't think more film needs to be "broken down". THE problem is he struggles reading defenses.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is fair to note that we really never changed the offense when Tua came in other than the run/pass balance shifted more even to a bit skewed to the pass. The most common play in that Wyatt tape - double slant on the two WR side with a skinny post on the single wide side - wasn't just something ran for Tua. It was basically our standard pass play against anticipated man coverage. I want to say Devonta Smith's game winner against MSU was some variation on the concept except the two receiver side ran a slant and out combo instead of a double slant (the out by the slot WR might have been a sight adjustments).

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
"To see more" because you want to see more or to prove/disprove who's better?

If it's the latter, I don't thing we need anymore film study to show who's the better passing and overall better QB. We've got 2 whole years of film on JH running the offense and the proof is in the pudding that we were bogging down against good defenses.
Actually, to learn. I am a fan, but honestly I don't the first thing about making a read or looking a defender off or any of that. It all happens too fast for me, and I don't go break down tape, because I still don't know what I am looking at. But I would love to have it explained to me in more detail than the game broadcasts give. Something like what Ron Jaworski used to do.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Jalen struggles reading defenses. Every former player/former coach now turned football analyst on ESPN and the SEC Network has pointed this out. I don't think more film needs to be "broken down". THE problem is he struggles reading defenses.
I get it. I want to see "right here is where this guy is about to be open, but Jalen has taken off already" or something to that effect. I would like to understand the game. It is for my education, not about Jalen at all.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Actually, to learn. I am a fan, but honestly I don't the first thing about making a read or looking a defender off or any of that. It all happens too fast for me, and I don't go break down tape, because I still don't know what I am looking at. But I would love to have it explained to me in more detail than the game broadcasts give. Something like what Ron Jaworski used to do.
I get it. I want to see "right here is where this guy is about to be open, but Jalen has taken off already" or something to that effect. I would like to understand the game. It is for my education, not about Jalen at all.
If you have some games recorded on your DVR, just start watching and especially on the plays where JH drops back and takes a quick look to pass and then starts to run, pause and, if the camera angle shows enough of field, you'll be able to see what he didn't see. The very best angles are often on replay when they show the camera on the wire just behind the LOS. If you watch a few games, you'll see plenty of times when he bailed the pocket (even when there wasn't much pressure) when his first read wasn't open (or open enough for his accuracy).

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It is fair to note that we really never changed the offense when Tua came in other than the run/pass balance shifted more even to a bit skewed to the pass. The most common play in that Wyatt tape - double slant on the two WR side with a skinny post on the single wide side - wasn't just something ran for Tua. It was basically our standard pass play against anticipated man coverage. I want to say Devonta Smith's game winner against MSU was some variation on the concept except the two receiver side ran a slant and out combo instead of a double slant (the out by the slot WR might have been a sight adjustments).
I think that's fair statement. We ran the same plays for the most part, just that Tua executes with a bias toward getting the ball out of his hands (either handoff on read-option or the "P" in RPO) where Jalen executes the plays with a bias toward keeping the ball in his hands. You could tell UGA had gameplanned a lot of the plays we ran even when Tua was in, so it's not like we changed things up.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What was obvious is that UGA's secondary really wasn't that great (which was frankly a reputation they built up during the year) and they were prepped for a quarterback who would hold onto the ball and tend towards bailing out of the pocket w/ a tendency to run it. From that second drive in the 3rd quarter through the end of the game, UGA had a lot of problems with the play action/RPO quick release passes. Their safeties and linebackers were biting hard on the run look and could not recover before Tua had slung it out to a guy. Better believe that if they expected Tua then they'd been more likely to stay at home.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
What was obvious is that UGA's secondary really wasn't that great (which was frankly a reputation they built up during the yeat) and they were prepped for a quarterback who would hold onto the ball and tend towards bailing out of the pocket w/ a tendency to run it. From that second drive in the 3rd quarter through the end of the game, UGA had a lot of problems with the play action/RPO quick release passes. Their safeties and linebackers were biting hard on the run look and could not recover before Tua had slung it out to a guy. Better believe that if they expected Tua then they'd been more likely to stay at home.
Amen, brother. Preach it.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There are a few websites that are good at this if you don't mind looking at teams other than Bama. Inside the Pylon has some good articles on some of the basics and uses film and screen shots to show you different things. There are a few other good ones too you just have to look around a little.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.