In depth YouTube video breakdown of all of Tua's 77 pass attempts on the season

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I really love this kind of analysis. It definitely shows what a special, young talent Tua is.

I miss them doing it on Gameday, which they used to, but I know there are many more fans that prefer the Tom Rinaldi tear-jerker segment and what restaurant is good during live broadcast than actual technical discussion. It would definitely help with getting the right information to Heisman voters if they would concentrate on technical discussion like this from time to time.
Exactly..Especially when it's someone as knowledgeable as Matt Wyatt cause he knows his football X's & O's for sure..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Passes 31 thru 42 vs TenorC

The nice thing about this game:

He had that INT on something frankly even the good ones get owned on from time to time. It is tough to account for the DL or linebackers so in deep in their blitz alignment that they're practically on the center's nose making a zone drop. It is too late to notice before the throwing decision. Especially in goal line where the defense is pretty much assured to use some pressure package to induce a quick throw. The QB just isn't accounting for them in their mental model of the guys they're reading for the throw. A drive or two later Tennessee tries to drop a defensive linemen to induce a similar mistake on a quick release throw around mid-field, Tua recognized the drop from the DE and shifted his eyes to the opposite side of the field for an amazing throw and catch.

The tape definitely shows that Tua is a quick learner.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

He had that INT on something frankly even the good ones get owned on from time to time. It is tough to account for the DL or linebackers so in deep in their blitz alignment that they're practically on the center's nose making a zone drop. It is too late to notice before the throwing decision. Especially in goal line where the defense is pretty much assured to use some pressure package to induce a quick throw. The QB just isn't accounting for them in their mental model of the guys they're reading for the throw. A drive or two later Tennessee tries to drop a defensive linemen to induce a similar mistake on a quick release throw around mid-field, Tua recognized the drop from the DE and shifted his eyes to the opposite side of the field for an amazing throw and catch.

Agreed. I can't remember a True Freshman QB who seemed as natural as he does at the position. He is clearly FAR ahead of most kids at his age when it comes to the mental processing needed at QB.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Forgive me if I misunderstood what you meant. But on the INT play, the guy who got the INT pretty much didn't move at all until the ball was in his hands. He didn't drop out of down alignment into zone coverage.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I think Tua was screened by the blockers and never saw the LB who made the pick. It's the reason pro scouts love 6' 5" QBs. But Tua has the talent to make up for it like Wilson and Brees.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I love hearing veteran and true freshman spoken within seconds of each other. Anyone know offhand who Tua's QB coach was in high school and what it would take to move that guy to T-Town?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I can't post it at work but there is another video of his game vs Mercer.

TBH, kinda felt like the Mercer game might have been his worst game (relative to how many attempts he had). Somewhat surprising.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I can't post it at work but there is another video of his game vs Mercer.

TBH, kinda felt like the Mercer game might have been his worst game (relative to how many attempts he had). Somewhat surprising.
He made the wrong read a few times. Also how many times did they run that double slant with the skinny post?
Ironically he also had 2 of his best throws with those TD fade passes into the end-zone. He didn't look as sharp this game as he did against Tennessee.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Watched all the one's up thru the Mercer game. Out of those 50 something throws he only threw about 3 really bad passes. The one against UT and a couple more that could have been picked off.

On the positive side, what continues to stick out is his accuracy and his lightening fast decision making and release.

If Tua continues to improve, he's going to be very, very special!!!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He made the wrong read a few times. Also how many times did they run that double slant with the skinny post?
Ironically he also had 2 of his best throws with those TD fade passes into the end-zone. He didn't look as sharp this game as he did against Tennessee.
Yea, he just seemed a little more off than in the other games. But as you mentioned they ran the same play a million times. So, I'm sure the simplified game plan played a part.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have to say, I like Wyatt's style. He explains things well. He seems at ease in front of a camera. Knows football. He would make a good analyst at FoxSports (would be an improvement over what they now have) or the four-letter network.
Yea, I enjoy him as well. I think the big networks need to catch up with a lot of the blogger and smaller online media companies. ESPN and Fox don't get into the weeds of game nearly enough for me. I want more in depth analysis. For example, don't tell me Julio ran a great route tell me WHY it was a great route. Fortunately, there are a growing number of resources for that kind of analysis even if it doesn't come from the big companies very often.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yea, I enjoy him as well. I think the big networks need to catch up with a lot of the blogger and smaller online media companies. ESPN and Fox don't get into the weeds of game nearly enough for me. I want more in depth analysis. For example, don't tell me Julio ran a great route tell me WHY it was a great route. Fortunately, there are a growing number of resources for that kind of analysis even if it doesn't come from the big companies very often.
They need to get "into the weeds" of a grammar and spelling book. I've noticed more spelling errors and obvious grammatical errors on subtitles at the bottom of broadcasts and the scrolling marquee than ever. If I notice "your" grammatical error it's bad. **I'm awful at grammar. I saw two misspelled words today on ESPN's NFL Live.

**One of my New Year's resolutions given to me by my mother in law (retired grammar teacher) is to stop ending sentences with "at". She said it drives her crazy. LOL!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Learned a couple of things in this that we didn't know before.

First, on the INT, Wyatt believes Tua and Harris got the sign it was a pass and the receivers didn't. Most previously assumed Tua missed the sign, but maybe it was the receivers??? At any rate, he should have recognized it was a busted play and thrown it out of bounds. His only real mistake in the game.

Also, he explains how we just barely missed on a couples of screen passes that could have both been huge plays. Timing was an issue on one and a missed block that hurried up the play (another timing issue) was the result of the other. This was probably due to Tua's lack of exclusive PT with the first string.

Having not even seen his analysis of the 4th qt and OT, I think Tua's performance is even better than we thought in the NC game, even though we know with extra PT and GT he'll get alot better!!!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Learned a couple of things in this that we didn't know before.

First, on the INT, Wyatt believes Tua and Harris got the sign it was a pass and the receivers didn't. Most previously assumed Tua missed the sign, but maybe it was the receivers??? At any rate, he should have recognized it was a busted play and thrown it out of bounds. His only real mistake in the game.

Also, he explains how we just barely missed on a couples of screen passes that could have both been huge plays. Timing was an issue on one and a missed block that hurried up the play (another timing issue) was the result of the other. This was probably due to Tua's lack of exclusive PT with the first string.

Having not even seen his analysis of the 4th qt and OT, I think Tua's performance is even better than we thought in the NC game, even though we know with extra PT and GT he'll get alot better!!!
Also how many double slants on the left we seemed to run. Sheesh.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Also how many double slants on the left we seemed to run. Sheesh.
I figure this might have been a product of limited practice time. Figuring the offensive play calling/plays will be adjusted some too with Tua likely getting first team reps and withe the new offensive coaching staff.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Ron Jaworski used to do that very well back in the 90's on ESPN's NFL Edge show. I always enjoyed watching that for learning a bit more. I am with you. Would love to see some real breakdown of why and how plays happen, who the QB is reading, who the defenders are reading, etc.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.