Our Opening game Athlon early preview.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I guess I am hijacking my own thread but I wonder why so many teams schedule so many years in advance. For example, Akron and Kentucky have just scheduled for 2021, 2023 & 2024. Marshall and E Carolina play in 2023 and 2025. W Virginia has scheduled EKU for 2020 and pushed back an already scheduled game to 2026. NOT TO BE OUTDONE Kansas and Washington state have scheduled for 2027 & 2028.

http://www.fbschedules.com/

More than half these games will have to be canceled or rescheduled because of realignment, moving to FSC or moving down to FCS (see Idaho and Liberty) or UAB who defaulted on two years worth of games. I wonder why they do this? Would you book hotel rooms for 2023 or 2028? I think not, because you probably know better.
Normally, I would not book ten years in advance, but for Kansas and Washington State, I would make an exception.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Should be a relatively easy win. I expect Tua to get us off to a fast start and maybe he won't even need to play the entire game. Without Lamar Jackson Louisville is at best an average team and perhaps even below average.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, but a new QB making his first start against Bama's front seven isn't going to look like L.Jackson.

Petrino at UL has looked a bit better than Petrino at Arky, but they're playing in a much softer division now.

I'm betting Bama replicates the average score from the last four meetings...
And Lamar Jackson didn't look very good even average SEC Defenses anyway.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I curious of how that rumor got started. But I think it may be too late to drop out. I’m not sure when in the off-season Bowling Green dropped Auburn in 2004.
It got started right here....

I'm hoping that Louisville will buy out of, or be bought out of, that game. And replaced by UCF. The SOS derived from either one will probably be no worse than FSU this past season.

Safe to say that Bama's SEC competition in 2018 will be the barn and UGA. Have you seen their schedules? The barn plays two FCS schools. Alabama State and Liberty. UGA plays Austin Peay. MTSU. UMass, and GT. :rolleyes:

Without Jackson, Louisville would be very receptive to a buyout. In fact they may buy out of it themselves. If UCF has a game scheduled on 9-1, it has not been announced. As of now, that date remains open on their schedule. The UCF President says he is not interested in a neutral site game, but he probably has never been offered 4 or 5M to play in one. :biggrin: That will change his tune very quickly. Especially if that neutral site is Orlando.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-18/2018-ucf-knights-football-schedule.php

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I want payback for the 1990 Sun Bowl. That was horrible. Alabama has the better roster 1-85 and should win. I hope we drill them.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I just can't wait for it to get here. I wish we had a better match-up, but it will be a good test of our new secondary...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Amazing at how pessimistic some alleged Alabama fans are. The team is well equipped to repeat this year. There is elite talent top to bottom. This offense has the best talent overall in the Saban era. Defense will have new faces but there is so much speed and athleticism. There is absolutely no reason for Louisville to score more than 20 on us and us score at least 40 on them. Petrino is a great offensive mind but one would think the talent disparity will be clear.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
For the record, I'm more concerned about Ole Miss and Texas A&M early in the year than Louisville. Those teams have some elite players on offense and are more talented top to bottom than Louisville.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I want payback for the 1990 Sun Bowl. That was horrible. Alabama has the better roster 1-85 and should win. I hope we drill them.
Huh?

We didn’t play in the Sun Bowl in 90, we played in the Fiesta Bowl.

Easy mistake though. We went to so many Sun Bowls I’m not sure our coach knew Marty Robbins was long dead.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Huh?

We didn’t play in the Sun Bowl in 90, we played in the Fiesta Bowl.

Easy mistake though. We went to so many Sun Bowls I’m not sure our coach knew Marty Robbins was long dead.
My bad. I was only 7 at the time and remember today how badly they beat us.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well I was 7 once, too, but I remember the Braves beat the Padres 9-5 with Messersmith on the mound and Matthews homering but that might just be me.....(Blue font)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
And then when you were 9 you saw the reason for the loss when Bama beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Stallings mailed in the Fiesta Bowl and went recruiting, resulting in the 92 NC. It's the reason we now have a dead period in recruiting during the Bowl season.

And while Bama was recruiting, Louisville had SEVEN weeks to prepare for the game. Bama played Cincinnati and Auburn after Louisville finished their season on 11/10 and accepted the Fiesta bid. Howard Schnellenberger sat 3 rows in front of me at the Auburn game knowing full well he was going to be playing Bama although bids could not be extended until a team finished their season. The bid was supposedly to go to Bama (7-4) or Ole Miss (9-2), but Arizona was in the middle of a huge controversy over the Martin Luther King Birthday Holiday and there was no way the Fiesta was going to invite Ole Miss and their rebel flags.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Has Bobby Petrino ever considered the meaning of "defense?"
As a matter of fact I remember one Arkansas player saying that sometimes in practice Petrino would send the D to the showers and give their time on the field to the O. When I read that I LOL'd because we already figured that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And then when you were 9 you saw the reason for the loss when Bama beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Stallings mailed in the Fiesta Bowl and went recruiting, resulting in the 92 NC. It's the reason we now have a dead period in recruiting during the Bowl season.

I'm curious as to whom precisely you think supports this thesis?

The following players were on the 1990 team and could in no way be said to have been recruited by Stallings in that time frame:
Antonio Langham
George Teague
Eric Curry
Derrick Lassic
Martin Houston
Tarrant Lynch
Tobie Sheils
Roosevelt Patterson
Lemanski Hall
Michael Rogers

The core of the team was there in 1990, so this idea is absurd on its face.

I'm not gonna say Stallings wasn't out recruiting but this is trying to put ketchup on manure and say it tastes good.

And while Bama was recruiting, Louisville had SEVEN weeks to prepare for the game. Bama played Cincinnati and Auburn after Louisville finished their season on 11/10 and accepted the Fiesta bid. Howard Schnellenberger sat 3 rows in front of me at the Auburn game knowing full well he was going to be playing Bama although bids could not be extended until a team finished their season.
Yes, he knew this the day of the Auburn game because there was a HUGE stink about whether teams from the state would go because Arizona didn't
recognize the MLK holiday. The problem with this whacked out theory is that the Fiesta Bowl wanted Notre Dame and Virginia first, both of whom
turned them down. In fact, what the Fiesta Bowl wanted was to pit Virginia against the SEC runner-up. UVA made clear they weren't going and
Louisville was a fallback choice, accepting the bid on November 18th.

They didn't know they were playing Alabama or Auburn until the end of November.

And besides - we're not talking a week off vs a week playing a game. That long off makes a team rusty and Browning Nagle popped us for over 450 yards passing so......no......

The bid was supposedly to go to Bama (7-4) or Ole Miss (9-2), but Arizona was in the middle of a huge controversy over the Martin Luther King Birthday Holiday and there was no way the Fiesta was going to invite Ole Miss and their rebel flags.
You may have a point there, but the original line-up was supposed to be Virginia - founded by that slave owner Jefferson - and the SEC runner-up. I won't deny your point that that probably played a role in it but......Alabama isn't really any better than Mississippi in race relations at that time, either.

But the idea Stallings basically pulled a Franchione and mailed it in? Ridiculous.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.