Our Opening game Athlon early preview.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
This will be a repeat of FSU last year. Very conservative first half followed by bone crushing second half that essentially ruins Louisville’s season and the typical 14 weeks of “Alabama” never schedules anyone talk.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This will be a repeat of FSU last year. Very conservative first half followed by bone crushing second half that essentially ruins Louisville’s season and the typical 14 weeks of “Alabama” never schedules anyone talk.
I agree, and so do most pundits. Which means …… we are probably over-confident, and why not? This will be a problem for Coach, IMO, trying to keep focused.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's way too early to make an official prediction but...

Right now I think this game is going be along the lines of a (2012) 42-14 Michigan beating to a (2016) USCw 52-6 mauling.

It could be even uglier for UL depending on just how early we cut Tua loose on them.

I have no doubt Tua could torch them for 250-300 yards in the 1st half alone if we choose to sling it.

Then in the 2nd half Jalen and the RB's could grind the clock out and put some more points on a tired team.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Yep, my first-ever MLB game. Grandfather and Dad took me.

Second was June 18, 1979. I was sitting there and Matthews came up for his first at bat. I shouted, "It's HOME RUN time" because I recalled his
blast from two years earlier. Matthews jacked one his first time up and my entire section (I think there was maybe 8,000 or so fans there) was
applauding me. Not a lot of fans and I was loud. Braves won, 10-5, Matula vs Espinosa.

I still have the program to that one.....
Braves won 9-5 and there were 10,958 in attendance.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Athlon Sports:

"1. Alabama ~ Reason for Optimism: Best overall roster and No. 1 coach in college football. As if that wasn’t enough, the Crimson Tide will be led by a rising star at quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, along with an emerging cast of receivers on the outside. The defense will always be tough under Nick Saban, with Dylan Moses and Mack Wilson set to emerge as All-SEC defenders in 2018."

So do these guys have a direct line to Saban if they know who the QB will be? I think it will be Tua but I wouldn't want to state it as fact.
I bought the CFB preview magazine and I think it’s Athlon, but yeah, they are all in on Tua. According to them, number one QB in the SEC and second overall in the nation (behind Grier at WVU).

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I bought the CFB preview magazine and I think it’s Athlon, but yeah, they are all in on Tua. According to them, number one QB in the SEC and second overall in the nation (behind Grier at WVU).
I get that he's an all-world talent and I'm as excited as anyone to see how good he becomes. But as a 19 year old sophomore with roughly one game of total combined playing time he's already being hailed as a top 3 qb, a Heisman frontrunner, a top draft pick, and many other things. I hope he lives up to every single one of those expectations, but he's going to have an enormous amount of pressure on him right from the starting line. I can already feel the meltdown coming if he gets off to a slow start or goes through a sophomore slump this season. At least half of our fans and the national media may go off a cliff if he falters even slightly.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I get that he's an all-world talent and I'm as excited as anyone to see how good he becomes. But as a 19 year old sophomore with roughly one game of total combined playing time he's already being hailed as a top 3 qb, a Heisman frontrunner, a top draft pick, and many other things. I hope he lives up to every single one of those expectations, but he's going to have an enormous amount of pressure on him right from the starting line. I can already feel the meltdown coming if he gets off to a slow start or goes through a sophomore slump this season. At least half of our fans and the national media may go off a cliff if he falters even slightly.
I couldn't agree more. We need to calm down a bit. We have started to believe in Messiah-like saviors - remember Georgia and their Eason fever that started 2 years before he arrived.

This is not Alabama's way. We have 50 blue chips, on the field 11 at a time, and everyone does their job. This is the Alabama way. We'll win with Tua, Jalen or Mac, whoever wins the competition in September.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I couldn't agree more. We need to calm down a bit. We have started to believe in Messiah-like saviors - remember Georgia and their Eason fever that started 2 years before he arrived.

This is not Alabama's way. We have 50 blue chips, on the field 11 at a time, and everyone does their job. This is the Alabama way. We'll win with Tua, Jalen or Mac, whoever wins the competition in September.
Yea but imagine that combined with a game changing QB like a Manziel, Mayfield, Watson, etc. Tua is the 1st QB at Alabama to actually show that kind of potential in a game. Not even AJ at his best gave me real hope of having that kind of QB.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Yea but imagine that combined with a game changing QB like a Manziel, Mayfield, Watson, etc. Tua is the 1st QB at Alabama to actually show that kind of potential in a game. Not even AJ at his best gave me real hope of having that kind of QB.
That would be so much fun to watch, provided all of the other pieces stay in place as well. There has been the statement made that if Watson had been our QB in the 2017 NC game, we would have beaten Clemson by 30. Imagine if we had someone perhaps even a touch better.... One can dream, right?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I LOL at those who are afraid to get excited about Tua.

It's been a long time since we've had a "star" at QB. Now, I personally think AJ was a star and the best QB at Alabama EVER (using titles as a standard). But he was never the playmaker that I think Tua will be.

It's like we are afraid to think we might have a "star" at QB.

I'll come back and admit I was wrong if it doesn't work out, but Tua will be our next Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.