Our Opening game Athlon early preview.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
45. Louisville ~ Reason for Optimism: New quarterback Jawon Pass should be a breakout candidate for 2018. The rest of the offense is in good shape, especially with the return of receiver Jaylen Smith for his senior year, along with continued improvement in the trenches.

Reason for Concern: Even though Pass should be a capable replacement under center, Lamar Jackson is going to be missed. Big question marks remain on defense. Louisville loses six of its top 10 tacklers from a unit that allowed 5.6 yards per play. New coordinator Brian VanGorder has a lot of work to do this offseason.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-teams

Bama should win by a couple of TDs IMO. But since they have VanGoober I will make that 4 TDs.;)

1. Alabama ~ Reason for Optimism: Best overall roster and No. 1 coach in college football. As if that wasn’t enough, the Crimson Tide will be led by a rising star at quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, along with an emerging cast of receivers on the outside. The defense will always be tough under Nick Saban, with Dylan Moses and Mack Wilson set to emerge as All-SEC defenders in 2018.

Reason for Concern: The secondary needs to reload. Standout safeties Minkah Fitzpatrick and Ronnie Harrison, along with cornerbacks Tony Brown, Anthony Averett and Levi Wallace must be replaced. It’s not easy to repeat.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
With our newfound offensive potential and annual plug and play defensive potential I really like our potential to repeat in '18.

Key area will probably be the defensive secondary, but again, I believe we'll have the ability to outscore teams if we get into an offensive shootout.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Key area will probably be the defensive secondary, but again, I believe we'll have the ability to outscore teams if we get into an offensive shootout.
Ditto! I think we will truly have an explosive offense next year and agree we will more than likely have to out score a few opponents while our secondary gels. Once November rolls around I’m hopeful the secondary will come together an we will be “the” team nobody wants to play! 😎

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think Louisville might be trickier than what most people believe. We will win but it might be scary at times
Could be a shootout.
Pretty sure an offense assembled from Tidefans members could put points on Louisville's defense but their QB is supposed to be pretty good and the offense returns a fair number of starters. That secondary could get a big test coming out of the gate.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Could be a shootout.
Pretty sure an offense assembled from Tidefans members could put points on Louisville's defense but their QB is supposed to be pretty good and the offense returns a fair number of starters. That secondary could get a big test coming out of the gate.
I agre. Our secondary will be tested a bunch before the break in October. We have Louisville and Missouri. We are far better than both but we could be in for high scoring games in both games with a young secondary.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Could be a shootout.
Agreed it will be a big test going against a Petrino offense in the first start for 5 DB's. Their QB, Jawon Pass, has potential and we recruited him also but don't think he is the thrower that Jackson was.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Petrino has faced a Saban-led Alabama four times now and lost all four by an average score of 36.5-13.75 (37-14).

Bama is going to destroy Louisville.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Petrino has faced a Saban-led Alabama four times now and lost all four by an average score of 36.5-13.75 (37-14).

Bama is going to destroy Louisville.
Yeah and 3 of those games we had a better than average to an elite Defensive Back core. In 2010 we did not. No one believes this a game in which Bama doesn’t win by atleast 2 score, but it could be a game very similar to the WV game in which a young dB gets exposed as being young in the first game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah and 3 of those games we had a better than average to an elite Defensive Back core. In 2010 we did not. No one believes this a game in which Bama doesn’t win by atleast 2 score, but it could be a game very similar to the WV game in which a young dB gets exposed as being young in the first game.
Yeah, but a new QB making his first start against Bama's front seven isn't going to look like L.Jackson.

Petrino at UL has looked a bit better than Petrino at Arky, but they're playing in a much softer division now.

I'm betting Bama replicates the average score from the last four meetings...

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Yeah, but a new QB making his first start against Bama's front seven isn't going to look like L.Jackson.

Petrino at UL has looked a bit better than Petrino at Arky, but they're playing in a much softer division now.

Agreed, Pass may become a great qb but it won't happen in his first start against Alabama.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I see 38-24 kinda game. They won’t be able to stop us but I think they get a few cheap breaks.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Is this game going to happen or does Louisville try and back out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I curious of how that rumor got started. But I think it may be too late to drop out. I’m not sure when in the off-season Bowling Green dropped Auburn in 2004.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Is this game going to happen or does Louisville try and back out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess I am hijacking my own thread but I wonder why so many teams schedule so many years in advance. For example, Akron and Kentucky have just scheduled for 2021, 2023 & 2024. Marshall and E Carolina play in 2023 and 2025. W Virginia has scheduled EKU for 2020 and pushed back an already scheduled game to 2026. NOT TO BE OUTDONE Kansas and Washington state have scheduled for 2027 & 2028.

http://www.fbschedules.com/

More than half these games will have to be canceled or rescheduled because of realignment, moving to FSC or moving down to FCS (see Idaho and Liberty) or UAB who defaulted on two years worth of games. I wonder why they do this? Would you book hotel rooms for 2023 or 2028? I think not, because you probably know better.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I curious of how that rumor got started. But I think it may be too late to drop out. I’m not sure when in the off-season Bowling Green dropped Auburn in 2004.
It became very popular in the louisville boards once Jackson announced he's departing early. I think all lights are go on this game and it would be a little difficult to back out at this point although not impossible. I think though petrino wants this game for his teams development . At least that what Louisville boards have expressed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.