Our Opening game Athlon early preview.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If Alabama is throwing the ball that much, it isn't a good sign. With the amount of talented running backs we have and depth of the offensive line, there should be great balance.
Doesn't mean Bama is throwing the ball much more, just means the defense can't stack the box as much...

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I remember beating Louisville 55-6 when I was ten. Hope we do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Last I heard we would open at 29 points favorites. Man, some of these lines blow me away. Not that it couldn't happen, but with a whole new defense?

rtr

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Last I heard we would open at 29 points favorites. Man, some of these lines blow me away. Not that it couldn't happen, but with a whole new defense?

rtr
Not a whole new one but we will be replacing all of our DB's and a NT/ILB. I think everyone has learned that next man up at Bama has a different meaning than it does at most places.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not a whole new one but we will be replacing all of our DB's and a NT/ILB. I think everyone has learned that next man up at Bama has a different meaning than it does at most places.
Especially on defense. Even if its a down year for our D it just means we are one of the top 5 instead of the #1. Plus we got the top JUCO CB and a 5 star CB to help fill those vacancies. And our offense should be the best we have had since AJ was here.

If we are being honest, anyone not picking us to win it all next season(and probably 2019 as well) is a victim of Bama Fatigue.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Especially on defense. Even if its a down year for our D it just means we are one of the top 5 instead of the #1. Plus we got the top JUCO CB and a 5 star CB to help fill those vacancies. And our offense should be the best we have had since AJ was here.

If we are being honest, anyone not picking us to win it all next season(and probably 2019 as well) is a victim of Bama Fatigue.
Or to be different and not pick the obvious so they can say they were one of the few who picked against Bama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yep, my first-ever MLB game. Grandfather and Dad took me.

Second was June 18, 1979. I was sitting there and Matthews came up for his first at bat. I shouted, "It's HOME RUN time" because I recalled his
blast from two years earlier. Matthews jacked one his first time up and my entire section (I think there was maybe 8,000 or so fans there) was
applauding me. Not a lot of fans and I was loud. Braves won, 10-5, Matula vs Espinosa.

I still have the program to that one.....

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

I hope we manage to get a graduate transfer at nose guard and get the ECU transfer at QB. If that happens, this team will be locked and loaded. The defense is still teeming with elite athletes. Replacing Scott at punter and the new kicker are the biggest concerns to me. We of all teams know how big special teams are.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

I just laugh at "down year". Our defense suffered an incredible number of debilitating injuries in 2017 and still finished at #1 in many categories. The next time Alabama plays bad defense under Saban will be the first. There may be a bad performance every so often but not consistently and the losses are generally to other great teams. Even with new starters, this defense will be near the top of college football's best defenses with the other usual suspects (Ohio State and Clemson). There is elite talent waiting for their turn to shine and hopefully the addition of another nose guard will shore up the middle. If that happens and we stay healthy, I'll relax until fall camp opens.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And then when you were 9 you saw the reason for the loss when Bama beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Stallings mailed in the Fiesta Bowl and went recruiting, resulting in the 92 NC. It's the reason we now have a dead period in recruiting during the Bowl season.

And while Bama was recruiting, Louisville had SEVEN weeks to prepare for the game. Bama played Cincinnati and Auburn after Louisville finished their season on 11/10 and accepted the Fiesta bid. Howard Schnellenberger sat 3 rows in front of me at the Auburn game knowing full well he was going to be playing Bama although bids could not be extended until a team finished their season. The bid was supposedly to go to Bama (7-4) or Ole Miss (9-2), but Arizona was in the middle of a huge controversy over the Martin Luther King Birthday Holiday and there was no way the Fiesta was going to invite Ole Miss and their rebel flags.

Here's the reality.

On November 6, 1990, Arizona voters rejected the MLK holiday. The Fiesta Bowl WANTED to match up Notre Dame and either Colorado (a long shot since they'd just beaten Nebraska to take the inside track in the Big 8) or Virginia.

Louisville had already accepted a bid to play in the All-American Bowl in Birmingham (AP, 11/14/90). The Fiesta Bowl then wanted to match up either Tennessee, Auburn, Ole Miss, or Alabama against Virginia, who declined (they wound up playing the Vols in a great Sugar Bowl game).
Virginia dropped out and the public relations said it was due to the King holiday.

Fiesta Bowl payout: $2.5 million
Sugar Bowl payout: $3.2 million

Me thinks the holiday had not a damn thing to do with it. In fact, there was another rumored match on November 12 - UVA vs Penn State.

The Fiesta Bowl even lined up San Diego as an alternate site and was turned down by the NCAA for (watch this) the reason "because you can't move to another city that hosts a bowl game." (HOLY SMOKES!!!)

After UVA dropped out, the Fiesta considered the SWC runner-up vs the SEC runner-up. Louisville went from a bowl paying $600,000 to a bowl paying $2.5 million as a 9-1-1 team.

Strangely enough, the Copper Bowl (also based in AZ) had no trouble at all filling their slate despite paying less money.

One more thing: Phoenix media was excited at the notion of Coach Stallings being there as he had been the head coach of the NFL Cardinals just a bit earlier.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Played golf today with a couple of nice guys from Louisville -- although they are UK fans they have close friends in the UL athletic department. They indicated that these friends fear they will lose by a ton...they have lost a lot of their production and will be raw and young.

I hope their worst fears come true...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
The general idea around here is that our secondary may get tested, even burned on occasion. That could happen, but I’ll add that if our pass rush is as good it SHOULD be, the point will likely be moot.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've been wrong before (goodness knows), but I suspect Bama is going to CRUSH UL in the opener. Like, cover the spread and then some. I suspect it's going to be very ugly.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Played golf today with a couple of nice guys from Louisville -- although they are UK fans they have close friends in the UL athletic department. They indicated that these friends fear they will lose by a ton...they have lost a lot of their production and will be raw and young.

I hope their worst fears come true...
I hope their worst fears' worst fears come true; I might be satisfied to just hang an even 100 on them - if we shut them out.
:biggrin2:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Athlon Sports:

"1. Alabama ~ Reason for Optimism: Best overall roster and No. 1 coach in college football. As if that wasn’t enough, the Crimson Tide will be led by a rising star at quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, along with an emerging cast of receivers on the outside. The defense will always be tough under Nick Saban, with Dylan Moses and Mack Wilson set to emerge as All-SEC defenders in 2018."

So do these guys have a direct line to Saban if they know who the QB will be? I think it will be Tua but I wouldn't want to state it as fact.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Athlon Sports:

"1. Alabama ~ Reason for Optimism: Best overall roster and No. 1 coach in college football. As if that wasn’t enough, the Crimson Tide will be led by a rising star at quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, along with an emerging cast of receivers on the outside. The defense will always be tough under Nick Saban, with Dylan Moses and Mack Wilson set to emerge as All-SEC defenders in 2018."

So do these guys have a direct line to Saban if they know who the QB will be? I think it will be Tua but I wouldn't want to state it as fact.
Haha. That's sounds pretty confident, but I think they're just going off of what everybody has seen with their own eyes. It wasn't quite the surprise to us since we had seen him play a good bit, but when an relative unknown (to most of the college football world) leads a comeback in the NC and saves the day it's basically common sense.

I think we've overthought it for the last 5 months, but if you just use common sense, why would CNS not start Tua???

Of course, in their defense, they say we'll be "led" by him, which, will likely be true even if for some reason Jalen starts the first series. Tua will play and rise to the top.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My prediction is that the Cardinals new QB will spend some time on his back. We will see if he panics and begins making desperation passes.
My prediction will be along the line of 40-10.

We are pretty sure what we have, and they havent tested their QB in fire.
IMO... Doesn't matter if we beat them with Tua or Jalen...
We have tested our guys against some pretty good known players.
We have two great QBs, Numerous Receivers that can take it to the house.
We have some fantastic RBs too...
Our Defense while young, has had a lot of playing time.

Now about Coaches...
We have Coach Saban, they don't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.