Was Tua's sack planned??

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Well, I don't know. Back in the 80's, when I played Tecmo Bowl on my Nintendo, I did sometimes intentionally take sacks back to my own 1 yard line just so I could use Bo (I know, I know) to run the longest TD's possible, even sometimes stopping short of the end zone to run all the way back to my own goal line again, running circles around the defenders several times, before finally scoring. Bo really was overpowered in that game though. I know our players are good, but they aren't Bo Jackson Tecmo Bowl version good.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Using that logic, maybe Saban told Pappanastos to miss the FG in regulation because he thought winning in OT was more exciting.
Yes, it was an intentional sack taken by Tua thus establishing the parameters for a new, unprecedented 'Bama "victory formation" - especially since Tua didn't take a knee to give it away by giving up the sack...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Judging from Coach's reaction, a sack was absolutely the last thing he wanted to have happen. He was well beyond perturbed. On the other hand, if it was planned - he should have warned us so we wouldn't have used all the bad language that was unleashed when Tua was sacked. He could have at least given us the same wink and smirky grin he gave after the onside kick against Clemson. ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hey guys, this has had me wondering for a while now, and I'm finally brave enough to post about it. Lol. Call me loony if you wish but, does anybody else think that Saban had Tua take that sack on purpose on 1st down so that it would set us up for that vertical route?.. I mean, the safety never left the hash and Smitty was so wide open. We would've never ran that play had it been 2nd and short or whatever we would have gained or whatever they might of called. I mean look, I've watched those two plays a million times. Well, not that much, but you know what I mean. On the touchdown, I wonder if we baited the safety into thinking that the pass rush was going to sack Tua again, and he got caught up looking at the line instead of doing his job. I mean, go back and look at Coach Saban, when they show him on camera, after the sack, he doesn't look as angry as I've seen him before on other botched up plays. He looks pi**ed, but Idk, just not like I've seen him before. As I said before, as a result of that previous sack, the safety never left the hash mark, didn't even look at Smitty until he passed him, he's looking at the D line. If you go back before, IMO, Tua had time to throw the ball away before he got sacked. But, that loss of yardage set us up for that vertical route, safety got baited into looking at the pass rush thinking it would sack Tua again, and OOPS that didn't happen...It was Tua's arm, and game over.... I can't help it, I wonder if that was planned all along. Ok, here we go folks, tell me how crazy & stupid I am... lol:D
Yeah, wanna know what else was planned?

Drew Brees not being the Miami QB even though Saban wanted him
Faking the punt early in the Texas game to set up Colt McCoy so we's could injure him
Losing to LSU so we could get extra rest before the 2011 rematch
Losing to ATM so we could make the SEC title game a play-in game in 2012
Losing to Ole Miss in 2015 so we could sneak below the radar nationally
Getting all those quarterbacks to transfer to Tua could come here and win the title for us

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I chalk it up to a great play by them on the sack & an even greater play by our Boy's on the next play that literally broke the heart of every Dawg Fan on planet Earth..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I suppose Tua's throwing it into the back of a receiver on a running play was also planned? :) Now I know the offseason has genuinely started...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Uh no, did you not see the lol's and the laughter faces I used in my text at the end?...
I did. But first, I saw your first two replies including one stating that it wasn't a joke and it was just something you wondered about. We all have weird things that come to mind. It's all good.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I did. But first, I saw your first two replies including one stating that it wasn't a joke and it was just something you wondered about. We all have weird things that come to mind. It's all good.
Yes, that's what I meant bro,... just a random loony thought... meant to be goofy.. I thought it would bring a good laugh to everyone, since the season's over. Guess I thought wrong, ...lol

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Hey guys, this has had me wondering for a while now, and I'm finally brave enough to post about it. Lol. Call me loony if you wish but, does anybody else think that Saban had Tua take that sack on purpose on 1st down so that it would set us up for that vertical route?.. I mean, the safety never left the hash and Smitty was so wide open. We would've never ran that play had it been 2nd and short or whatever we would have gained or whatever they might of called. I mean look, I've watched those two plays a million times. Well, not that much, but you know what I mean. On the touchdown, I wonder if we baited the safety into thinking that the pass rush was going to sack Tua again, and he got caught up looking at the line instead of doing his job. I mean, go back and look at Coach Saban, when they show him on camera, after the sack, he doesn't look as angry as I've seen him before on other botched up plays. He looks pi**ed, but Idk, just not like I've seen him before. As I said before, as a result of that previous sack, the safety never left the hash mark, didn't even look at Smitty until he passed him, he's looking at the D line. If you go back before, IMO, Tua had time to throw the ball away before he got sacked. But, that loss of yardage set us up for that vertical route, safety got baited into looking at the pass rush thinking it would sack Tua again, and OOPS that didn't happen...It was Tua's arm, and game over.... I can't help it, I wonder if that was planned all along. Ok, here we go folks, tell me how crazy & stupid I am... lol:D
No. Saban got mad at him about the sack.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Of course it was. all the injuries were fake too. Saban wanted the whole season to be more of a challenge. It had just gotten too easy for him. Just wait until next year, he has got some real surprises then.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.