Question: How do you view the 1999 season after nearly 20 years?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The 1999 season has always made have that “what could’ve been?” feeling more so than the 1994 season. It has probably one of my favorite moments (UF in the swamp) and one my worst moments (La tech) in watching Bama football. I think we could’ve been national champs that year if we weren’t handicapped at coaching, but overall I thought it was a great season with a bittersweet outcome with the amount of talent we had on that team.

Best moments

1. Beating UF in the Swamp
2. Winning at Jerkin Hair for the first time
3. Beating Spurrier again

Worst

1. Losing to La tech
2. Seeing UT extend their streak against us
3. See Brady come back on us and pflugner miss an extra point in the Orange bowl

How do y’all remember 1999?

vestamark01

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2015
Interesting question. For various reasons, I remember that season better than most other seasons. First, we attended 11 of the 13 games which is more than we normally get to in any season. All home games plus Gainesville, Oxford, Atlanta, and Miami. That was also the Warren St John Rammer Hammer Yellow Hammer season. The book bolstered many of my memories of the season.

High points:
Shaun Alexander and Chris Samuels. Pair of great seniors.
Win in Gainesville.
SA having a Heisman type season until nagging injuries.
Antonio Carter, Freddie Milons, and Andrew Zow.

Low lights
Michigan game. Sat by obnoxious aholes who spent much of the game drunk and ragging on southerners in general.
LSU game. Will forever be my least favorite victory. Should have run them out of the stadium but let them hang around. Lost Marvin Constant, and Kenny Smith as result of poor second half play. Also Canary Knight.
Tennessee loss. Every UT loss is painful.

Mostly I recall that season fondly with a few painful moments. Then 2000 happened and I learned what true pain was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
overall I thought it was a great season with a bittersweet outcome with the amount of talent we had on that team.

I felt the same way about 1966 :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Fools gold.

I still feel like a fool for all the pre-season magazines I bought in the Summer of 2000 because Alabama was "back."

The Florida wins were great. Seeing us back in the Orange Bowl was really cool even though the ending wasn't what we wanted. The Arkansas win was underrated.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Ask Bamanation about the La Tech game. We were watching it at a sports bar up in NYC. It was a pretty ugly game with a bomb to finish the game. I remember the Tennessee game as a let down. I was there with a friend of mine and from the get go, I didn’t have a good feeling and then SA got banged up a little and game over. It was nice beating the Barn and Florida back to back, but blowing 14 point leads against Michigan really hurt and then having our kicker missing the PAT in OT after SA scored a TD in the bottom of OT 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I feel like Mike Dubose sold Alabama's football soul to the devil in exchange for an SEC title. We lived in purgatory for the next 7 years.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Fools gold.

I still feel like a fool for all the pre-season magazines I bought in the Summer of 2000 because Alabama was "back."

The Florida wins were great. Seeing us back in the Orange Bowl was really cool even though the ending wasn't what we wanted. The Arkansas win was underrated.
We had some terrific freshmen that year, but lost Samuels and Alexander which I think was significantly underestimated in terms of their importance. I remember during the Orange Bowl broadcast that one of the announcers predicted Alabama and Miami to be playing for the national title the following season. Miami in fact should have been in the national title game the following year, and we were obviously a completely dysfunctional mess.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have mostly fond memories, because I was enrolled at UA at the time. The football was a roller coaster for sure, but the memory of Freddie Milons taking a snap and running down the sideline to break Florida's back in the SEC title game will be forever etched in my mind.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Every time I think of Dubose I think of the fact that so many Tide fans, including myself, clamored for him to get that job and seemingly wouldn't take no for an answer. My question is who would have got the job if it hadn't been Dubose? I don't even remember another name being mentioned.

rtr

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
1999 and 2000 are a blur to me. I saw hardly any games through those years. I was going to school full time and working 2 full time jobs. I think I saw part of the Orange Bowl that year. From what I have heard, I am glad I missed it.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
1999 and 2000 are a blur to me. I saw hardly any games through those years. I was going to school full time and working 2 full time jobs. I think I saw part of the Orange Bowl that year. From what I have heard, I am glad I missed it.
Me too I was in Florida working 70 hr. weeks and playing baseball year round with my son. I was surprised when Michigan whipped us in the second half. They looked to have a size advantage on us as I recall and quite a bit of talent. I always remember where I was when Freddie Milons took it all the way.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah and Tubs whupped us all of those years. Come to think of it. Why did we bring this up?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
What I remember most about the 1999 season was the fact I got to see my first SEC championship live in Atlanta. Of course, as luck would have it, I was in the end zone where Florida scored first and then all the points for the rest of the game were scored in the other end zone so I got to see them on the big screen! I would have had a far better view of things if I had stayed home and watched it on television, however, the atmosphere far outweighed that thought.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Every time I think of Dubose I think of the fact that so many Tide fans, including myself, clamored for him to get that job and seemingly wouldn't take no for an answer. My question is who would have got the job if it hadn't been Dubose? I don't even remember another name being mentioned.

rtr
I recall Neuheisel's name and Butch Davis both coming up during that search. I don't recall there being a TideFans then, or I at least hadn't yet found it. But listening to the local station in Mobile at the time, I remember various people talking about those two as well as Dubose.

As to the original question in the thread, we had some decent success at times, with SA specifically showing the superstar that he was. But overall, I think of the season as a total failure, since it led to Dubose getting an extension rather than being let go at the end of the season. We all know the damage he did, and how poorly the next season played out. Good chance the NCAA damage was already done and couldn't be avoided by the point. But I really hated to see us sell out and let him have back the years on his contract after having the terms reduced due to improprieties. I wanted him gone before the 1999 season started, and at least had hoped he would be done when the season was over.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Bama had the wrong D.B.... as the HC in OT in the Orange Bowl. Fisher DeBerry would have won the game. He never kicked an extra point in OT. And he never, ever had a RB anywhere near the quality of SA to run the two point attempt.

I asked you then (even before the missed XP) and I'll ask you now. Do you really want to see Brady on the field again? At this point he is going through your defense like the proverbially hot knife through butter. You presently have the ball at the 3 yard line and down one point with, arguably, the best RB in America. What do you do? I would have done the same thing Fisher DeBerry would have done. Run SA on the two point conversion, get on the bus, go to the airport with a "W"!

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This was the first Bama season I really followed growing up. I have fond memories of what that team did even if it all came crashing down in 2000.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I had to look up the schedule to even remember. The think that stuck out to me is that we only had two "convincing" wins. Houston early and then Florida in the SECCG.

By today's standards, it looks like we struggled to win most of those other games.

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
The football was a roller coaster for sure, but the memory of Freddie Milons taking a snap and running down the sideline to break Florida's back in the SEC title game will be forever etched in my mind.
Funny, that play by play call is stuck in mind after all these years. "Waterbugs his way back to the near side. Trying to get the corner, he's got it! Freddie Milons, going all the way. He's gonna go. This will be an Alabama touchdown!"

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I remember it for the SEC Championship counting for 1 of our 26. Other than that I don't really view it any other way since I thought we were back and we obviously were not and Dubose/staff put us in harms way with the NCAA. I did love Milons and Carter however.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.