Rivals 2018 Recruiting Review By Position Groups

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
It is a little startling to see all of the positions in which we did not even get a top 5 guys in the SEC. I wouldn't be surprised by this if it were a national comparison, but not top 5 in our conference at RB, OL, LB, or Safety?
I think Bama did fine filling their position of need. We had possibly three last minute changes by recruits plus we had major coaching turnover . You'll see a blitzkrieg this season in recruiting.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It is a little startling to see all of the positions in which we did not even get a top 5 guys in the SEC. I wouldn't be surprised by this if it were a national comparison, but not top 5 in our conference at RB, OL, LB, or Safety?
RB and OL -- we are stacked.....LB (a bit thin), but with Wilson, Jennings, Lewis, Miller, and Moses coming back with experience.....the only one that is even a little concerning is Safety. If we get two years in a row ...... I'd worry, but one year, small numbers, down year in Alabama for recruits, and filling specific needs -- we are ok

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Farrell is not ranking the highest rated players at each position but how they 'fit' at each school. For example, he has Barn QB commit at #1. TBH, I don't get the list and it's just a way to put some type of article out to get clicks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is beyond silly. What is the point of the article other than to get clicks? There's no substance. The quarterback section is all the evidence you need:

1. Joey Gatewood, Auburn

2.Justin Fields, Georgia

3.Emory Jones, Florida

4. Matt Corral, Ole Miss

5.Jalen Mayden, Mississippi State

Farrell’s take: Gatewood gets the nod over Fields mainly because he’s such a great fit for Auburn and Georgia doesn’t often use dual threats. But both should have excellent careers. Jones will be a good fit for what Dan Mullen wants to do at Florida because he can move while Corral’s mobility and arm talent should make him a star at Ole Miss. No. 5 was tough, but I went with Mayden because he’s tall and mobile, and does excellent work outside the pocket at times.
So because UGA hasn't used a dual threat in Kirby's two years on campus, Fields isn't a better fit than Gatewood? Give me a break.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
RB and OL -- we are stacked.....LB (a bit thin), but with Wilson, Jennings, Lewis, Miller, and Moses coming back with experience.....the only one that is even a little concerning is Safety. If we get two years in a row ...... I'd worry, but one year, small numbers, down year in Alabama for recruits, and filling specific needs -- we are ok
Yeah. I can see we are in good shape with RB's. But we also seem to pull in one golden player every year at that position. To have a year we don't is just a little bit of a downer. I don't think being stacked at OL is as apparent to me as it may be to the guys who follow recruiting more closely. I start looking at how we are doing late in the process and at the final results, then often forget anyone but skill players until I see them on the field regularly. But I do appreciate you putting my mind at ease on that one.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yeah. I can see we are in good shape with RB's. But we also seem to pull in one golden player every year at that position. To have a year we don't is just a little bit of a downer. I don't think being stacked at OL is as apparent to me as it may be to the guys who follow recruiting more closely. I start looking at how we are doing late in the process and at the final results, then often forget anyone but skill players until I see them on the field regularly. But I do appreciate you putting my mind at ease on that one.
Heck -- with the WRs we have -- we may not need to run the ball at all (lol) -- RTR!

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Jerome Ford is underrated. I watched his highlights and he can really play. Brian Robinson is also a guy that continues to be overlooked by people. That guy would be pushing for a starting job at most other schools. I think he would be near the top at Georgia this year with Chubb and Michel gone. Alabama is stacked at running back right now and has been for the better part of a decade. We have four players in 2018 that are capable of running for 1,000 yards each. Harris & Harris, Jacobs and Robinson.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
A Georgia fan started it
Seeing by whom it was started, didn`t bother to look at this until now. Figured it would be something of a UGA " lovefest " and a not so subtle " in your face ". I`ve thought for a while now that Kirby is building a monster in Athens. I still do. Having said that, CNS has proven he can recruit at a stratospheric level for a protracted period of time. He`s also proven he can take that talent and translate it into national championships. Kirby hasn`t done that yet. He may. All I know is, he`s elevated expectations here in Georgia to a level where he`d better win it all, and damned quick at that.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Jerome Ford is underrated. I watched his highlights and he can really play. Brian Robinson is also a guy that continues to be overlooked by people. That guy would be pushing for a starting job at most other schools. I think he would be near the top at Georgia this year with Chubb and Michel gone. Alabama is stacked at running back right now and has been for the better part of a decade. We have four players in 2018 that are capable of running for 1,000 yards each. Harris & Harris, Jacobs and Robinson.
I really hope that the staff can find a meaningful role for this kid. He sure looks like he can tote the rock.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
This is beyond silly. What is the point of the article other than to get clicks? There's no substance. The quarterback section is all the evidence you need:

So because UGA hasn't used a dual threat in Kirby's two years on campus, Fields isn't a better fit than Gatewood? Give me a break.
Isn't Farrell a barn homer?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I really hope that the staff can find a meaningful role for this kid. He sure looks like he can tote the rock.
He looks like a smaller Eddie Lacy to me. Really hope he gets more carries this year and stays healthy. Maybe use Jacobs more at receiver. Amazing how many athletes we have on offense this year.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
He looks like a smaller Eddie Lacy to me. Really hope he gets more carries this year and stays healthy. Maybe use Jacobs more at receiver. Amazing how many athletes we have on offense this year.
Jacobs at times(slight emphasis here) looks like he might be the best RB we have in terms of being able to do it all, and you want to move him to WR?

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Jacobs at times(slight emphasis here) looks like he might be the best RB we have in terms of being able to do it all, and you want to move him to WR?
Maybe he's referring to using him as a wr at times like we did at the mid point and latter part of the season. But I certainly wouldn't move or change his position .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.