My first impressions of NCAA 2006

kmccoy1

Scout Team
Jul 17, 2003
Alpharetta, GA
I got the game at lunch (XBOX version), and took off this afternoon. Here are my first impressions.

First and foremost, they have changed the controller settings significantly. This is the first year where the sprint button is the same on offense and defense (A on the XBOX). I'll get used to it, but for now, it seems counter-intuitive. On defense, I'm used to hitting A to switch the the defender closest to the ball, then sprinting with B. Doesn't work anymore. Also, Juke is mapped to the right thumbstick, which feels very different than last year where the right trigger juked. You can't really sprint and juke at the same time anymore.

Second, the running game seems a little more potent. I can get through the line of scrimmage much better than I could last year. Of course, Darby's a monster, so that helps a lot.

Brodie is an excellent QB in this game. So far, Croyle/Caddell appears to be our best passing combination.

Keith Brown and Leron McClain are WAY underrated. I upped their rating significantly, moving Leron from a 62 to a 78, and moving Keith from 64 (I think) to a 76. Caddell and Prothro are both 84s, so we have solid skill position ratings.

Finally, the CPU's offense seems better than last year. Last year, I could blitz the CPU into oblivion, and they would never move the ball. I could go whole games without giving up a single first down (I play on All America). So far, they've moved the ball fairly well, so that part seems more realistic. Evidently, it picks up blitzes much better than last year.

Let me know what you think.

Kenny

bamafan37

1st Team
Feb 2, 2005
Nice review, and those are the same thoughts that I have. I love the impact player thing.

Once, Darby was "in the zone" and so I handed off to him. I was headed straight for three defenders, and I stiff armed the first one, and ran over the second one, knocking him into the third. Finally, a speedy DB ran me down at the five, but Darby (being the beast that he is) shook off the tackle like it was nothing and strolled into the endzone for a 69 yard TD run!

Also, in practice mode, I was testing out the back juke, and Peprah and Harper were coming at me from either side. I used the back juke and the two safeties ran into and knocked each other down! It was the coolest thing I've ever done in a game (on purpose). :biggrin:

Also, Demeco Ryans finished my first game (against Auburn) with two forced fumbles, an int, and 11 tackles! One of the forced fumbles was a user strip, but I hadn't even pressed the button!

Oh yeah, all these plays were on All American difficulty! :)

Anyways, this is one of the best games I have ever played, and the best football game hands down!

bamafan37

1st Team
Feb 2, 2005
Oh yeah, I also wanted to say how improved special teams are. So far, still on AA, I've returned three punts with Prothro and have come pretty close to returning a kickoff to the house! The blockers now hold their blocks, and if you can find a seam, it means big yardage!

Salty Dog @ Work

1st Team
Sep 12, 2001
Murfreesboro, TN USA
People from all over are posting "Who is that #34 guy from Alabama? He's a monster!" and similar comments. I think if you end up playing a team against Bama/CPU that he's pretty much unstoppable. Croyle is also very good. I haven't played the EA college game in a while and played a tune-up game or two last night and Simeon Castille had 3 sacks, 2 picks, and 1 other tackle. Nice to see that EA gives us something to work with, and I didn't change anybody's settings.

Vertical

All-American
May 15, 2000
New Hampshire
They made Darby extremely formidable in this game. I haven't played a game with Bama yet, but I've practiced plenty, just to get used to the controls. Even Bama's D has a really, really difficult time containing Darby. He pretty much always either breaks the first tackle, or makes that person miss. He's extremely enjoyable to control, because he's so responsive, has excellent agility, and a great speed burst. He's also really, really strong. He's going to be a real asset in this year's game.

My general first impressions are as follows:

Re: the new controls - I love 'em. I'm totally not used to them yet, but I'm not worried about that at all. I'll adjust. The biggest adjustment for me is the X button being sprint on Defense (as was previously mentioned). I'm still hitting it to try and switch to the nearest defender to make the play. My mind hasn't made the adjustment. The jukes were tough to get used to, but I picked it up quickly. It's a bit more realistic since you can't very well sprint and juke at the same time in real life anyway, so you have to slow down a bit to juke. But you can still spin at full speed, which is a great move.

I love the ability to get the QB to sprint without having to bring down the passing icons. Awesome addition.

I don't love the apparent random button assignment to receivers sometimes. I'm used to the far left wideout always being the same button (usually square). But playing a game last night (in my race for the heisman mode, more on that later), I noticed that he could be anything from Square, to Circle, to L1, to R1... it was really, really confusing. But whatever, I can live with it.

This game has a totally different feel to it than previous years. Previous years really felt like a video game. This year it almost feels like I'm there. I love the new atmosphere. I don't know what they did (I've noticed slightly different 'camera' angles, better instant replays, etc.) specifically, but I love it. Excellent work on that.

Race For The Heisman - Thus far, I've created on RB, and got offers from Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, and ... uh... somewhere else. I chose Georgia Tech. My guy has pretty decent stats. I had no idea my first game was going to be against Auburn, but I was pleasantly surprised by that. Corso picked Auburn to win. It was a really, really great game. On Auburn's opening drive, one of my CB's picked off a pass and ran it back for a TD. I'm using "Ask Corso" on offense so that I can't just call my own number to cheese my stats. Corso picked an Off-tackle run for me on the first play, which I broke for 28 yards! The next 3 plays were all passes, though, and since this was my first time passing with the new game, I did exceptionally poorly. 3 and out after that. Auburn marched down the field, but I held them at the goal line and they only got a field goal. Next drive I threw a 67-yard TD to one of my impact players, who they kept calling "The All-American", WR #21 (I'm not familiar with GT's roster). He's really good, though. Once I found out how good he was (he was consistently open), my offense really opened up.

In any event, the final score of the game was GT 21, AU 16. My HB ended up with 9 carries for 91 yards, and 1 reception for 22 yards. No TD's, though.

But I had a really great time beating Auburn. :)

Overall, I'd say my initial impression is that this game is going to (does) rock! Much improved over last year, I really am liking the Race For The Heisman mode, and Darby is a monster. The gameplay and animations all seem really smooth, I love the new running game, and the atmosphere is really amazing.

I love it.

NeverWrong

Suspended
Jan 5, 2005
They always have underrated the backups for alabama in the games. mcclain and brown are just a few. juwan should be much higher than a 82. they just make the top 5 teams starters unbeleivable whether they are or not to make the teams better. i go to UT for school and they made corey campbell a 92 and a top 5 safety in the game. he is terrible and won't start this year. you guys will find this funny. i get the rosters from theinternet then make the bama players better and let my friends copy the rosters from me so when i go to play them at their apartment i can beat them down and they wonder how if i'm not even a top 25 team

beercop

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2004
Huntsville
Something else

The package settings are great. You can change personnel for each package just by pressing the o button. That is you can sub in your back ups without pausing the game. That makes the game a whole lot more realistic. If its third down and you need a yard or you are on the goal line then put Castille in at tailback or put a wideout in at TE. IT HAS REALLY OPENED UP MY OFFENSE!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
i just finished my first season. i went 11-2 losing to florida and tennessee in the regular season. both were close games. i got a rematch against tennessee and beat them in another close game, then beat oklahoma in the rose in yet another close game where brodie threw for over 300 yards.

i had the #1 defense (1st against the run, 3rd against the pass, and 4th in points) my offense was subpar but i had alot of injuries throughout the year. i had alot of difficulty stopping oklahoma, their RB is unbelievable in this game. i couldn't stop them. they racked up tons of yardage.

this game is awesome. i had only previously played 2002 so this was ahuge change. i started out on varisty but quickly changed to all american. now that i got a feel for the game i am replaying on a harder level.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.