Joaquin Phoenix to play the Joker in a Martin Scorsese produced film

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a17044020/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker/

I know this is late, but I was waiting to see if this was just fluff or actual stuff because this is a lot of people's number 1 pick to play the clown prince of crime. But it seems that he has atleast agreed to play the role which is amazing considering his insane performances in "Walk the Line" and one of the most underrated films "The Master".

When I heard the DCEU was going for an older batman I said Phoenix, Tim Roth, and Johnny Depp should be the top choices. but unfortunately we got this:

While this new Joker film wont be in the DCEU, I think with Scorsese producing it and a great actor playing the Joker we might actually have one hell of a film.

My ranking of Jokers

1. Mark hamill
2. Ledger
3. Nicholson
4. Romero
5. Leto

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a17044020/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker/

I know this is late, but I was waiting to see if this was just fluff or actual stuff because this is a lot of people's number 1 pick to play the clown prince of crime. But it seems that he has atleast agreed to play the role which is amazing considering his insane performances in "Walk the Line" and one of the most underrated films "The Master".

When I heard the DCEU was going for an older batman I said Phoenix, Tim Roth, and Johnny Depp should be the top choices. but unfortunately we got this:

While this new Joker film wont be in the DCEU, I think with Scorsese producing it and a great actor playing the Joker we might actually have one hell of a film.

My ranking of Jokers

1. Mark hamill
2. Ledger
3. Nicholson
4. Romero
5. Leto
personally I never want to see Johnny Depp in anything again, especially if it involves white makeup. That said I am down with Pheonix, he does crazy well and I agree completely with your Joker ranking

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
personally I never want to see Johnny Depp in anything again, especially if it involves white makeup.
Yeah I personally have gotten that way as well especially after last night watching 'Dead Men Tell No Tales" (its not as bad as Stranger Tides, but that is setting the bar low). I kinda wanted Depp in around 2012 as that part when there were rumors going on about a post Nolan Batman project because I think his role in the Rum Diary was still convincing me that he hadnt fully become a caricature of himself, but then Lone Ranger and Dark Shadows happened :p_eek:. I think his only really good role since 2012 has been Black Mass.

So really when this new Joker project was hinted I said Joaquin or Tim Roth would be my top choices. But when Leonardo DiCaprio was originally attached I was okay with it.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
For me, it's Ledger and then Nicholson at a distant #2. The rest aren't even in the others receiving votes category. (But that's just me). It will be interesting to see what Phoenix can do with the role.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
For me, it's Ledger and then Nicholson at a distant #2. The rest aren't even in the others receiving votes category. (But that's just me). It will be interesting to see what Phoenix can do with the role.
never watched Batman the animated series? No one comes close to Hamill's Joker

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Aw man, yes of course I grew up watching that! Well yes his is certainly up there. I'm not sure I'd rank him above Ledger, though. They were different. Just as Nicholson's interpretation was different. I would say each filled the role for the venue they were in extremely well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m still trying to figure out what DC is doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
I think they are using these standalone stories to fill in for some of the planned DCEU films where they have time to rethink how the DCEU is going to move forward or if it will at all. The bad ratings and Affleck leaving has put them in a bind. What they should do is during this break they need to sign someone like nikolaj coster-waldu as Batman ( some lesser name that isn’t going to have a huge ego or creative differences) and pony up to get George Miller as a director and creative lead instead of playing around with the idea.

There are stories and ideas that can be really good for the DCEU but WB just gets in the way of its own self.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Mark Hamill is the preeminent voice of Joker (admittedly, Troy Baker is giving him a run for his money) just like nobody does Batman quite like Bruce Conroy.

--------------

Nicholson/Romero, to me, were too cartoonish for my taste, but in their respective versions of the Batman mythology, they worked fine. I sort of see what Leto was trying to do but he failed MISERABLY as the Joker. Ledger was the best for me to date. Of all the on-screen Jokers, I thought Ledger's version was the most formidable. To me he was equal parts funny, cunning and dangerous.

As for Joaquin Phoenix version of the character (and for that matter Scorsese) , I will have to wait and see Phoenix interpretation of character. Not a real big fan of Scorsese or Phoenix (though I did enjoy his role of Johnny Cash), so I am not sure how excited I am for this "Joker" origin film.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The kid in Gotham does one heck of a job -- just sayin
I agree Cameron Monaghan is doing a fantastic job as a "Joker like" character in Jerome, but I've seen people connected to show confirm Jerome is NOT the Joker, and that the show will actually introduce the iconic villain soon enough. Not going to lie, I think anybody Gotham brings in to be the Joker will probably be a disappointment in comparison to Cameron's Jerome.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mark Hamill is the preeminent voice of Joker (admittedly, Troy Baker is giving him a run for his money) just like nobody does Batman quite like Bruce Conroy.

--------------

Nicholson/Romero, to me, were too cartoonish for my taste, but in their respective versions of the Batman mythology, they worked fine. I sort of see what Leto was trying to do but he failed MISERABLY as the Joker. Ledger was the best for me to date. Of all the on-screen Jokers, I thought Ledger's version was the most formidable. To me he was equal parts funny, cunning and dangerous.

As for Joaquin Phoenix version of the character (and for that matter Scorsese) , I will have to wait and see Phoenix interpretation of character. Not a real big fan of Scorsese or Phoenix (though I did enjoy his role of Johnny Cash), so I am not sure how excited I am for this "Joker" origin film.
Hamill and Barker are by far the best Joker voice actors. I only put Hamill in my list because “Mask of the Phantasm” went to theaters. To me MOP is still the best Batman story to ever go to theater imo. DiMaggio ( voice of Draken on Kim Possible) did a hell of a performance in Under the Red Hood as well. But Hamill and Barker are still the best by far.

As for Leto. I really hated that pick from the start. If they were going to pick an older and darker Batman I felt they needed a joker that acted and looked as old as him. Granted Leto is 3 years older than Phoenix . I felt Phoenix and Roth were far more accomplished and presented an older an more maniacal joker. Leto was just WB trying to cash in on his appeal to younger audiences.

FWIW I never liked Affleck getting the job, and I think he did okay, but I always knew he would run away if Snyder bombed. He only got the job because Kevin Smith pressed Snyder to hire him. It should’ve gone to Waldu (Jamie Lannister) because he is far more loyal to projects and is a lesser known actor. The Batman role has been best under lesser pedigree actors. Keaton and Bale were not well thought of when they were casted for the role, and they were the most successful next to Conroy.

As for Phoenix, he has been my top choice since seeing the Master.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree Cameron Monaghan is doing a fantastic job as a "Joker like" character in Jerome, but I've seen people connected to show confirm Jerome is NOT the Joker, and that the show will actually introduce the iconic villain soon enough. Not going to lie, I think anybody Gotham brings in to be the Joker will probably be a disappointment in comparison to Cameron's Jerome.
They’re trying to make Jerome be the inspiration to the Man that would become the Joker last I checked. I stopped watching when I cut off my cable so I have no idea where it has gone now.

Granted it’s a stupid way to go, but it at least keeps fanboys from typing “ the Joker doesn’t have an origin”. But then again the Nicholson version did and no one complained. I think the real problem now is that the Batman mythos has become more mainstream than it was in 1989, and more people are choosing versions that they more agree on instead of taking alternative versions. For example: many Batman fans believe Batman doesn’t kill or use guns, but he did both in the Bob Kane original.

But as for the kid that plays Jerome, I think he is far better than Leto, but WB would never go for it if they didn’t consider Michael Rosebaum for Lex Luthor or the flash from the series for those roles in movies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
They’re trying to make Jerome be the inspiration to the Man that would become the Joker last I checked. I stopped watching when I cut off my cable so I have no idea where it has gone now.

Granted it’s a stupid way to go, but it at least keeps fanboys from typing “ the Joker doesn’t have an origin”. But then again the Nicholson version did and no one complained. I think the real problem now is that the Batman mythos has become more mainstream than it was in 1989, and more people are choosing versions that they more agree on instead of taking alternative versions. For example: many Batman fans believe Batman doesn’t kill or use guns, but he did both in the Bob Kane original.

But as for the kid that plays Jerome, I think he is far better than Leto, but WB would never go for it if they didn’t consider Michael Rosebaum for Lex Luthor or the flash from the series for those roles in movies.
It's on Netflix (through Season 3) -- you can catch up there....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m still trying to figure out what DC is doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
1)A little update.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicboo...rt-date/#scso=uid_8CslW7-COMqV0gK3-oWQCg_35:0

2) I was for this Elseworld project at the start, but it seems WBs is bound and determined to make us love Jared Leto as the Joker. Because he’s getting a lot of spinoffs if this holds up

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...ad-movie-plans-making-sense-dcs-moves-1119489

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...upervillains-joker-jared-leto-joaquin-phoenix

If current plans hold up Leto is getting 3 standalone films. A Joker & Harley, Birds of Prey, and a Joker film.

I think the problem with this is that they are rushing projects out again just to get actors anchored down instead of waiting to see how the 3 other DCEU films (Aquaman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman 1984) and the Else World film does first. They are making the same mistakes.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
1)A little update.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicboo...rt-date/#scso=uid_8CslW7-COMqV0gK3-oWQCg_35:0

2) I was for this Elseworld project at the start, but it seems WBs is bound and determined to make us love Jared Leto as the Joker. Because he’s getting a lot of spinoffs if this holds up

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...ad-movie-plans-making-sense-dcs-moves-1119489

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...upervillains-joker-jared-leto-joaquin-phoenix

If current plans hold up Leto is getting 3 standalone films. A Joker & Harley, Birds of Prey, and a Joker film.

I think the problem with this is that they are rushing projects out again just to get actors anchored down instead of waiting to see how the 3 other DCEU films (Aquaman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman 1984) and the Else World film does first. They are making the same mistakes.
I see DC still doesn't get it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.