Butch Davis is giving Lane Kiffin a run for his money in CUSA

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This could get interesting if Davis can upstage Kiffin and it should be fun to keep up with.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...butch-davis-quietly-building-a-winner-at-fiu/

Davis inherited a footnote, a forgotten program amongst the giants of the nation's most talent-rich state.

That inheritance comes as Miami is experiencing a revival, Florida and Florida State hiring exciting new coaches, UCF declaring itself national champion with cause and Lane Kiffin took FAU viral in Boca. In the midst of it all, FIU just tied the program record for wins in a single season with eight and a week ago brought in the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history at No. 66. That class just happened to finish above both in-state neighbors FAU and UCF.

The results both on and off the field start with high expectations.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Butch Davis is a really really good college football HC & is the one HC I really wanted to be our HC before Coach Saban became our HC..For those in the know how close was he to coming to Bama..Didnt we almost hire him instead of Coach Price Or am I mistaken???..

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Butch Davis is a really really good college football HC & is the one HC I really wanted to be our HC before Coach Saban became our HC..For those in the know how close was he to coming to Bama..Didnt we almost hire him instead of Coach Price Or am I mistaken???..
I believe it was "rumored" that there was interest in Davis after Dubose left....Davis left for the NFL however so I'm not sure to what extent the interest was on either side but I don't think it ever reached anything closer than that.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I believe it was "rumored" that there was interest in Davis after Dubose left....Davis left for the NFL however so I'm not sure to what extent the interest was on either side but I don't think it ever reached anything closer than that.
I think by the time he was rumored to be interested in the Alabama job, he had also drawn some ncaa attention, so that wasn't going to happen. I may be wrong about that timing, but I think that's the way it was.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I believe you are correct my friend..I remember I was all giddy when that rumor was making its round in TTown..Until the NCAA rules violations surrounding Butch became a road block that is..I really thought Butch would've done really good at Bama for sure & would've been a better choice than Coach fRan..

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
He has been rumored in several high profile jobs but I think he did the right thing at FIU. There, a regular bowl game would be enough for idolization. He as the time to build instead of the second year hot seat.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
If I recall correctly, there was mutual interest between Butch Davis and Mal Moore after Coach Dubose departed. He was looking to leave Miami, but the story goes that he wound up declining after talking to Houston Nutt and Tuberville and learning how bad the hammer was about to drop on us. He had rebuilt Miami from the depths of major sanctions, and didn't want to do it again.

Obviously, it was selfish motivation on the part of Nutt and Tubs to scare him away but, of course, it turned out that they weren't exaggerating our situation and weren't wrong. It wasn't long after that he took the Browns job.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I remember his name being thrown around when we hired Dubose. May have only been fans wanting that. I am not sure. But I have wanted him here for a couple of our hires. I think he is a good, solid coach, but maybe not great. I do think there are some issues associated with him that we may not want to have happen at out program (could be wrong about that).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.