News Article: Some states introduce bills to ban youth tackle football

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Bills to ban youth tackle football

Actually, I've read articles regarding the research - there's a lot of it - and while there are improvement that can be incorporated into the helmet (just look at the modern helmet compared to what was used 25 years ago - the difference is amazing) the reality is no helmet will be able to stop the brain from slapping the inside of the skull. You cannot beat Newton's first law.
The latest advances make the helmet more like a car's bumper - a crumple zone type helmet that actually lessens the movement of the head in these collisions, which lessens the impact of the brain with the skull. But you are correct - at some point the momentum of the head halts and the brain (suspended in fluid) keeps going until it smashes into bone.

But these new helmets could almost eliminate the damage from the many tiny collisions that take place on the LOS.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Bills to ban youth tackle football

Very cool helmet. I wonder how far they are from implementing it in the real world.
They are available for purchase everywhere now and many HS teams have started buying them. The NFL tested them last year in game play and they seemed to pass the tests thought the NFL has not officially switched over for next season (yet).

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm of the opinion that the game of football is slowly dying. I believe that for many reasons, brain injuries are only one reason. I played football for 10 years and had the opportunity to play small college football but decided to give it up and be a regular student at UofA. At the time that was a tough decision but now I'm glad that I did that. If I had a son I would strongly discourage him from playing due to the knowledge we now have about head injuries.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wonder how long it's going to take before the arms of that law go from the ban of organized tackle football to parents allowing their kids to play tackle football in their own yards?
Not going to happen - at least, not in my lifetime.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I never dreamed I'd see a law against tackle football either, albeit organized football. It's a ban on tackle football nonetheless.
I think that many of us have expected this for a while. As a parent, it makes complete sense to me. I would never presume to tell another person how to raise their children, but I understand the desire of many to protect children from this kind of harm.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know football is the poster child for head injuries, but if anyone wants to see a sport that maybe flying under the radar at the youth level, that has more hits to the head than some maybe aware of. Attend a youth soccer game. Went and watched my niece play a few games, and with how kids under the age of twelve don't have or haven't developed good body control. You have kids running full speed chasing the ball and colliding into other kids all game long. This is also without any helmet or protective head gear. I would literally cringe when I saw the "play" developing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know football is the poster child for head injuries, but if anyone wants to see a sport that maybe flying under the radar at the youth level, that has more hits to the head than some maybe aware of. Attend a youth soccer game. Went and watched my niece play a few games, and with how kids under the age of twelve don't have or haven't developed good body control. You have kids running full speed chasing the ball and colliding into other kids all game long. This is also without any helmet or protective head gear. I would literally cringe when I saw the "play" developing.
Both of my boys played youth soccer. Heading the ball was not allowed, and I don't think that I ever saw a head to head or head to ground injury. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I believe that the risks in soccer are pretty minimal until the kids get much bigger and faster.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Both of my boys played youth soccer. Heading the ball was not allowed, and I don't think that I ever saw a head to head or head to ground injury. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I believe that the risks in soccer are pretty minimal until the kids get much bigger and faster.
At least 1 if the states proposed bans includes all contact sports including soccer & lacrosse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
That is absolutely false information. Do your research.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That is absolutely false information. Do your research.
Maybe you could provide research that shows that noncontact youth soccer with no heading creates a risk of brain injury. There would be no greater risk than any other sport that has children running around, like playing tag. Heck, there is some risk playing on playgrounds.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is what I found about youth soccer: http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-youth-soccer-injuries-20160912-snap-story.html

Of the estimated 2,995,765 soccer-related injuries, 56% were sustained by boys and 73% involved players between the ages of 12 and 17, the researchers found. The most common types of injury involved a sprain or strain (35%), followed by fractures (23%), soft-tissue injuries (22%) and concussions or other closed-head injuries (7%).
Information about the cause of injury was available in two-thirds of the cases. Among these:

• 39% of players got hurt by being struck by a soccer ball or being “hit by, kicked by, stepped on, elbowed or kneed” by another player, according to the study.
  • 29% of players fell, either by slipping accidentally or being tripped or struck by someone else.
  • 13% of players sustained a “twisted” injury, in which they inverted or hyperextended a knee, ankle or another part of their body.
  • 6% of injuries were the result of a collision with another player.

Fewer than 2% of soccer players brought to the ER wound up being admitted to the hospital, and 70% of those patients were boys, according to the study.
Seems to me that this study proves my point - youth soccer below age 12 is not dangerous. And, BTW, there are over 200,000 injuries on playgrounds every year which require hospital visits, and almost 150 deaths per year. Soccer is not dangerous for young kids unless played recklessly. The other things that we let our children do are much more dangerous and we don't supervise them nearly as closely.

Last edited:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Maybe you could provide research that shows that noncontact youth soccer with no heading creates a risk of brain injury. There would be no greater risk than any other sport that has children running around, like playing tag. Heck, there is some risk playing on playgrounds.
Let's see - playgrounds, diving boards, bikes, gymnastics, soccer, baseball, softball, horseback riding, skateboards, tree houses...on and on should be banned for kids based on the the line of thinking youth football is the poster child for head injuries. It is not. All activities have a risk. It is up to the individual, or their guardian, to decide what is in the best interest. Everything in life is risk-reward and I wouldn't trade anything for the experiences I have had playing football and all the rest. Back to your question..........

"Football continues to hog the spotlight when it comes to concussions, but a new report from the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons shows female soccer players are the athletes who face the highest risk for brain injuries."
FULL STORY

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.