News Article: Some states introduce bills to ban youth tackle football

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
4 states have now introduced bills to ban tackle football (and some other contact sports like soccer & lacrosse) for youth 14 & under.

Illinois https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...ban-proposal-illinois-20180124-story,amp.html

California https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.maxim.com/.amp/sports/california-ban-youth-tackle-football-2018-2

New York https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/sports/youth-tackle-football-ban.amp.html

Maryland. https://www.google.com/amp/www.balt...an-rob-ambrose-towson-20180208-story,amp.html

What are your thoughts? I am a bit torn. While I would hate to see the game disappear, I don’t know that I would encourage my 18 month old grandson to play when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: Bills to ban youth tackle football

4 states have now introduced bills to ban tackle football (and some other contact sports like soccer & lacrosse) for youth 14 & under.

Illinois https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...ban-proposal-illinois-20180124-story,amp.html

California https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.maxim.com/.amp/sports/california-ban-youth-tackle-football-2018-2

New York https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/sports/youth-tackle-football-ban.amp.html

Maryland. https://www.google.com/amp/www.balt...an-rob-ambrose-towson-20180208-story,amp.html

What are your thoughts? I am a bit torn. While I would hate to see the game disappear, I don’t know that I would encourage my 18 month old grandson to play when the time comes.

I`m assuming nobody is really surprised to see this (?).

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I am not sure this won’t do more harm than good. Growing up in the 60’s in West Texas you started learning proper tackling techniques at least by 7th grade football if not in Pop Warner. The longer you have to teach something the more it get ingrained. I don’t think it will change the number of guys that chose to ignore and play recklessly when they are really big and strong enough to do the damage.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this but as someone who lives in one of those states I think I might be ok with it. Personally, my kids will not be playing football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I have no problem with the bills for political reasons (I believe in the rights of states to govern these things for themselves). I hate it for a few reasons:

* I think that the age is too high. Kids who want to learn to play safe football should start in the 7th grade, latest. This increases risk for those who choose to play in those states, IMO.

* Second, and more important to me, is that this seems to attack a sport rather than an injury problem. These injuries are happening in more sports and the states would be better served with legislature requiring that all students be adequately protected while playing any sport rather than just focusing on football.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I am not sure this won’t do more harm than good. Growing up in the 60’s in West Texas you started learning proper tackling techniques at least by 7th grade football if not in Pop Warner. The longer you have to teach something the more it get ingrained. I don’t think it will change the number of guys that chose to ignore and play recklessly when they are really big and strong enough to do the damage.

I believe what you are saying, but I am also feeling that some coaches don't teach proper techniques anymore with the younger kids.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I thought it meant the Buffalo Bills were banning youth tackle football. LOL! I haven't had my coffee yet.
That's what I thought when I read it.

As for the proposals, I am not surprised, especially given the states in which those bills are being introduced.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

More government, more government, more government, more government.

I'm sick and tired of a government that thinks it must legislate every aspect of our lives. I have a brain, I can make decisions for myself and if I decided I don't want my kids to play contact sports at a young age then that is my business. If I decide I will allow my kids to play contact sports then that is my business, not some snotty old government hack.

Riding in a vehicle can be very dangerous, even deadly at times. When will bills be introduced to ban young kids from riding in cars? Kids drown all the time when swimming, let's ban that for under 14 year olds as well. Got to protect the kids so let's just ban kids from participating in life until age 14.

I don't know whether to laugh or be sad that our representatives are willing to introduce bills to ban sports to help protect kids but, most aren't even willing to approach the table to discuss gun violence in this country.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

I don't see why this requires government action. Let the parents decide what sports their kids will play and at what age. If nobody like the current way youth football is instructed and played, change the rules. Surprisingly this can be accomplished without government interference.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

That's what I thought when I read it.

As for the proposals, I am not surprised, especially given the states in which those bills are being introduced.
I thought of that after I posted but couldn’t modify the title. Though the mods might ding me for a teaser [emoji6]

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

I think the NFL will eventually start to push this anyway due to all the concussion stuff coming out. I'm fine with flag football up until a certain age.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Don't impose age restriction. Impose changes to the youth game. It's "SUPPOSED' to be about fundamentals and learning the game. Abandon the kicking game. Line up on the opposing 25 yard line and go. If a first down isn't accomplished move the ball 25 yards (or so) down the field and turn it over to the other team. I'm already seeing some middle school games kicking but not returning and/or tackling in Alabama. Once those players reach middle school they'll have figured out who can, who can't, who will and who won't.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

With regards to concussions and CTE, wasn't there a study out not long ago showing CTE just began to show up in players who played high school football? Then more prominent in players who played college, then almost universal in players who played in the NFL.

It seems to me that this isn't a huge issue in youth football but becomes a greater risk the longer you play, as the game speeds up and the players get bigger and stronger.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

With regards to concussions and CTE, wasn't there a study out not long ago showing CTE just began to show up in players who played high school football? Then more prominent in players who played college, then almost universal in players who played in the NFL.

It seems to me that this isn't a huge issue in youth football but becomes a greater risk the longer you play, as the game speeds up and the players get bigger and stronger.
Ever watch " Friday Night Tykes "? Holy moly !!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.